Thai Airways Dropping The Nonstop Flight To/From Los Angeles

Sam Drucker

Thai Airways are cutting back on some of the Australian Flights too,I think its not enough passengers as the flight I took just before Xmas,in peak period was half full.I think that having Kathoeys as cabin staff will affect them even more as I know a lot of Aussies don't like them,

hit-the-fan.gif maybe.jap.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never happen-it's the national carrier and face of Thailand worldwide.

Mark my words; this airline will go belly-up sooner rather than later.

Product sucks; marketing sucks; advertising is the pits and with so many cross-configurations of equipment (Rolls Royce, GE and Pratt & Whitney) and the alleged corruption on all levels it'll be game-over soon.

And they're still flying those lumbering fuel-sucking 747s which must be more than 18 years old now.

Such a shame as if they'd gotten their act together it would be a power-house in aviation but they lost the plot ages ago.

Maybe the writing is on the wall which is why the Ministry of Finance is considering dumping it.......

Hopefully if they do bring back a non-stop to North America it'll be via Vancouver. There should be a greater demand from a cold weather hub such as Vancouver which can provide service for 2 countries whereas LAX can realistically only service USA (I don't see many Mexicans in Thailand)

Hopefully if they do bring back a non-stop to North America it'll be via Vancouver. There should be a greater demand from a cold weather hub such as Vancouver which can provide service for 2 countries whereas LAX can realistically only service USA (I don't see many Mexicans in Thailand)

Vancouver is hardly "cold weather"...it's exactly the same weather as Seattle. That is, it pisses with rain in winter, just like Seattle.

Both SEA and YVR have many many excellent connections to BKK, via NRT, Taipei and ICN and various Chinese hubs. Best connection to BKK from West Coast North America is via Narita. About 15 hours only from YVR and SEA (plus whatever layover)

I would have loved to try it, but it gets in so late to LAX, if you need to connect, you have to spend the night. Thus, for me, making my overall trip much longer.

Yes, this was another major issue, pretty much no way to connect on-wards ex-LAX, arrival at 19:20 figure 120 min. MCT (Immigration, baggage, customs, transition from TBIT to another terminal, TSA, not many departures after 21:20, even challenging to get to a red-eye.

The arrival time was of course dictated by the aircraft scheduling issues requiring two aircraft. A morning departure ex-BKK might have been better but then not too many feeder flights into LAX for the return.

Edited by lomatopo

I have used that route 4 times in the last 3 years and always was so good, the flight back always was shorter than they write in the paper and the on board service was always perfect. The 1st time i went to LA from Bangkok i had used the Korean Air and was a pain, in the ticket they do not wrote the flight stop to Japan too but only on the when go to LA not when back. When Thaiairways will change i hope they will not stop to Incheon really longer.

I read an article a few years ago about SG's non-stop route between Singapore and LAX with the 345s, and one issue they had was how many crew hours it ate up because the longer the flight, the more rest hours were needed by the crews, and just a couple trips could use up a pilot's monthly allotment.

I am not sorry to see this route dropped. I have made at least 5 return trips and every one of them has been full. The last flight I had back to Thailand in December had no entertainment system working for the whole flight. That makes it a very very long 17+ hours.

I read an article a few years ago about SG's non-stop route between Singapore and LAX with the 345s, and one issue they had was how many crew hours it ate up because the longer the flight, the more rest hours were needed by the crews, and just a couple trips could use up a pilot's monthly allotment.

I used to fly J class singapore to newark allot and it was a great flight 17-19 hours sometimes on return depending on winds they would fly trans atlantic other time cross USA and pacifc rim.. talking to the crew they loved these flights as it chewed up their monthly allotment big time.. even though they only worked 8 hours on the flight ( two crews) they got the full 17-18 hours allotment and two of these of the roster per month would chew through about 30% of their monthly allotment. I loved the flights as it avoided LAX and got to Newark which was quick and easy to get through customs

I believe the problem with using the 777-20LR on this route is it is not ETOPs certified for that distance. If I remember correctly, the 777 must be within 3 hours of a landmass in the event of a loss of one engine. It certainly has the range, but the time over water is the problem. The A340-500. with 4 engines, does not have this restriction.

It used to be 3 hours, but has now been extended to 330 minutes, so that shouldn't be a problem for the 777 anymore

It was always overpriced before, but now it is competing with the ICN route, which is already very competitive, with Asiana and Korean Airlines routinely offering some of the lowest airfares from LAX to Asia. As much as I prefer nonstop flights, it is layovers in the USA that I truly despise. Layovers in Asian airports are far more enjoyable, as the airports are infinitely better, as well as the food. Plus it is nice to break up a long journey if you are in cattle class. 17-18 hours in economy is an unpleasant fate I prefer to avoid. I would much rather break up the journey, so I can grab a bite to eat in HK/Seoul/etc, maybe even take in a brief city break if on a longer layover. Then, there are all the transit hotels if you need a rest/shower/etc.

This change may be an inconvenience for business travelers on expense accounts, or the independently wealthy, but for the majority of fliers who cannot come up with $5-10k for a round trip ticket in biz/1st class, it will not be missed. It will, however, greatly reduce the demand for Thai airlines when flying to/from the USA, unless they lower their fares.

Too bad they stopped this flight.

I took this flight to Vegas via LA and I enjoyed the service onboard.

I am planning another trip to Vegas this year, now I need to look for an alternative....maybe US Airways hit-the-fan.gif

I believe the problem with using the 777-20LR on this route is it is not ETOPs certified for that distance. If I remember correctly, the 777 must be within 3 hours of a landmass in the event of a loss of one engine. It certainly has the range, but the time over water is the problem. The A340-500. with 4 engines, does not have this restriction.

That would not be a problem on the LAX to BKK route for the B777-200LR and, regardless, as Odinrex has pointed out the ETOPS rating for the 777 has been extended to 5 1/2 hours. BTW, four engine aircraft now have to be ETOPS certified.

The airlines fly the shortest route possible following the curvature of the earth at its narrowest points, even with four-holers like a B747 or A340.

From the U.S. West Coast most airliners out of LAX or SFO heading to Asia, go straight up the coast of the U.S. and Canada to Alaska, turn at The Aleutian Islands and follow them to Russia and down the Russian Coast to their first stop in Korea, Japan, or if the first stop is Taiwan or Hong Kong they fly not far off the Chinese Coast. They have been doing this with the B747 for over 40 years and with A340s, and B777s since they entered service. From the U.S. East Coast Thai Air takes the polar route.

Attached is a photo of the Thai Air non-stop route out of New York.

post-45289-0-95123100-1328025515_thumb.j

Edited by Samsonite

still confused as to how this is a nonstop flight if it stops in seoul....

...??

There used to be a non-stop flight BKK-LAX-BKK. TG has dropped this.

Instead, there is now a flight with a stop-over in Seoul. This is not a non-stop flight. This is what the discussion is about.

If this is still confusing, please do not hesitate to ask again.

I am scheduled for this flight on 31 May (BKK/LAX), I wonder when TG is going to bother to inform me of the change so I can change my onward reservations mad.gif

Their online booking check won't recognize my confirmed reservation number and "CheckmyTrip.com" just spins and spins........

Hm. I have taken the non-stop flight many times and always had to stop over in LAX because it arrived too late for onward flights. With the new schedule, arriving at 11am, I would not have this problem and actually save a lot of money, as I don't need to pay for the hotel near LAX airport and waste all the time.

By the way, to check your flight, you can always call 02-356-1111 if their website doesn't work to your satisfaction.

That said, I agree that they should have informed you.

Personally, I don't care what Thai Air does. To me they're overpriced, with bad service. I'll take EVA Emerald Class over Thai First Class every time!

My feelings as well. THAI is overpriced which is why I rarely fly them. I much prefer EVA and China Airlines. The arrival departure times are much better on both ends of the flight.

'Just got back from my first trip flying Thai Airways. Even though it cost much more, I wanted to try the non-stop and premium economy seating. 'Not sure if I'd have paid the premium again in the future or not, but why anyone would fly Thai from LAX anymore after this (unless they're going to dramatically change their pricing)? Almost all the competition (which all one-stops somewhere on the way to BKK) charges much less. The change to the '777 with its less comfortable seating (and no premium econcomy) is another disincentive. I'll just go back to pricing all the competition and choosing the cheapest.

I only took the LAX-BKK direct flight once and would never do it again ,

I even had 2 seats but it was just so long to be sitting , and you only save a couple hours from the LAX-NRT-BKK flight

It was an Award ticket so I did not have to pay extra for the non-stop.

No great lose , there are so many options out of LAX to get to Bangkok.

BK

'Just got back from my first trip flying Thai Airways. Even though it cost much more, I wanted to try the non-stop and premium economy seating. 'Not sure if I'd have paid the premium again in the future or not, but why anyone would fly Thai from LAX anymore after this (unless they're going to dramatically change their pricing)? Almost all the competition (which all one-stops somewhere on the way to BKK) charges much less. The change to the '777 with its less comfortable seating (and no premium econcomy) is another disincentive. I'll just go back to pricing all the competition and choosing the cheapest.

I found Thai Air prices for premium economy to be in line with other carriers services SEA from LAX, plus the direct flight was only 14 hours as apposed to 22+ hours traveling when on a 1 or 2 stop flight. 4 - 6 hours difference in travel times might not seem like much time to most people, but to me it is worth a few extra baht to get where I'm going as quickly as possible. Every time I have taken this flight in either direction, it was on a B777 and had the premium economy cabin setup.

I wasn't aware Thai had -200LRs.Very few do in addition to Delta.I'm sure very few here even realize Delta used to fly to BKK.

It used to be 3 hours, but has now been extended to 330 minutes, so that shouldn't be a problem for the 777 anymore

I will really miss the route. I’ve flown it at least 20 times and I would much rather do the non-stop. And with the schedule, it was the only flight where I could actually sleep most of the way. I also loved the schedule, but as others have said, it would blow if you had to connect in LA, I don’t. Incidentally, it was an Airbus every time I’ve flown it.

Didn’t Singapore used to have the Singapore to Las Vegas non-stop?

I wasn't aware Thai had -200LRs.Very few do in addition to Delta.I'm sure very few here even realize Delta used to fly to BKK.

I first flew Northwest about 10 years ago LAX_NRT_BKK , one time for less than $400 RT

But have not flown Delta which merged with NWA,

BK

Yes, DL now flies to BKK after having merged with NW and keeping the NRT-BKK slot. A few weeks ago my UA NRT-BKK flight was cancelled ~ 24 hours ahead of time, and I was put on the DL flight upon check-in departing the U.S. The DL equipment, a newish A332 I think, and crew, were very nice.

Edited by lomatopo