Bad Dry Cough , Tried Everything, 19 Baht Fixed It

balo

Yes this is the next step of the floods IMO. The very same crap, sewage and such that came with the floods never got washed away and has dried and is now becoming suspended in the air along with the pollution and causing untold illness and a good rinsing rain is required to begin with.

There is definitely an epidemic of sorts with this cough I've heard more of it around then ever before in my 10 years here and my entire family has it as well. And as Sheryl mentions it is necessary to get it to break up and come out not just suppress it so I give my family an expectorant during the day and suppressant during the night so we can sleep as rest is just as important.

I believe it already develops into a lower respiratory tract infection or bronchitis by the time it gets to this point and medical advice should be sought for an antibiotic prescription and follow up.

On the OP my wife takes that stuff and swears by it too but I'm concerned about the addictive narcotic effects of the Opium and continued use.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Thanks 1

I had what seems like the same cough, lasted about three weeks, keeping me up at night. Totally dry and would come in fits lasting 15 minutes or so, then nothing for an hour or 3. It disappeared for a few days then came back, with phlegm. Much better.

Now has gone completely, but I do get a bit wheezy from time to time and am currently using an inhaler (Ventolin) to relieve this as it can be quite severe. Its been about 6 weeks since the onset, but I'm getting back to normal. Nasty thing.

I've been using it for years , whenever I get a dry cough what won't go away.

Usually it is around 24 B for the 120ml bottle and has a long expiring date.

I can't take too much , or I will get stomach pain , but it is good stuff.

If you take it before you go to sleep , you sleep deeper too.

Took it to europe , asked in the farmacy there, but they didn't sell it because the opium.

There the anti-cough medicine costs 3 to 8 euro for something that doesn't work !

Codeine, a morphine (opium) analogue will suppress a cough without addiction risk. Personally, with a dry cough I prefer to use an expectorant like ammonium chloride. A very good Thai herbal preparation is MA-VAENG cough syrup based on the berries of solanum trilobatum.

It was the 0.6mg of opium that did the trick. There was a similar type cough medicine put out by one of the big drug companies in Australia some 45yrs ago and it cleared up all sorts of coughs in only a few days, it also had a small % of opium in it. A few years later i went back to the pharmacy one day to get the same cough syrup to clear up nasty cough i had aquired and i was told by the pharmacy that it was no longer available because the health regulators had put a ban on it because a lot of drug addicts had started buying up dozens of bottles and drinking them or mixing them with other stuff. That news really pissed me off because it was the best cough medicine that had ever been on the market.

My doctor put me onto it in the first place and told that the small % of opium was the thing that got rid of the coughs. As someone esle has already asked, if you can post a picture of the label on the bottle it would be a great help to the rest of us in getting some of it.

Thanks for the info, Don.

I tried to get some as pictured above but am told that the company is having supply issues (maybe floods?).

In any case the red tiger brand seems to have the same exact ingredients and is also 19thb at 7/11

post-32036-0-70792900-1328609275_thumb.j

• Thanks 1

maybe you could post a picture of the box or the label on the bottle.

They have changed the label now. Its black with a leopard on the front.

I just bought some yesterday as per the picture that I accidentally double posted. It would seem that there are more than 1 brand of this magic elixir. The one I posted had he exact same ingredients in the same volumes as the one in the first pictured post.

Codeine, a morphine (opium) analogue will suppress a cough without addiction risk. Personally, with a dry cough I prefer to use an expectorant like ammonium chloride. A very good Thai herbal preparation is MA-VAENG cough syrup based on the berries of solanum trilobatum.

Sorry but codeine is fully addictive.

The amounts needed to suppress a cough are very low (as is the opium in Brown Mixture) so addiction not a risk if used as directed, but it is perfectly possible if you swill enough of the stuff to get hooked and that is exactly what did happen in the West in the past which is why they finally banned it, leaving only expectorants which are useless for a really dry cough.

Codeine, opium = same mode of action with regard to cough suppression and both are addictive.

Agree.... I was going to post a counter point anyways but Sheryl is on top again...

The amounts needed to suppress a cough are very low (as is the opium in Brown Mixture) so addiction not a risk if used as directed, but it is perfectly possible if you swill enough of the stuff to get hooked and that is exactly what did happen in the West in the past which is why they finally banned it, leaving only expectorants which are useless for a really dry cough.

Codeine, opium = same mode of action with regard to cough suppression and both are addictive.

Agree.... I was going to post a counter point anyways but Sheryl is on top again...

"Codeine is currently the most widely-used opiate in the world,[15][30] and is one of the most commonly used drugs overall according to numerous reports by organizations including the World Health Organization and its League of Nations predecessor agency. It is one of the most effective orally administered opioid analgesics and has a wide safety margin. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codeine

Many drugs may be abused recreationally and can in such cases become addictive. I was addressing my remarks to hopefully a sensible person, not a potential junkie.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

"Codeine is currently the most widely-used opiate in the world,[15][30] and is one of the most commonly used drugs overall according to numerous reports by organizations including the World Health Organization and its League of Nations predecessor agency. It is one of the most effective orally administered opioid analgesics and has a wide safety margin. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codeine

Many drugs may be abused recreationally and can in such cases become addictive. I was addressing my remarks to hopefully a sensible person, not a potential junkie.

Addictive behavior manifests itself in people who have no idea they're "potential junkies" until they become addicted which is why if they suspect any such possibility education is their best friend and deterrent not misinformation.. You sated it was NOT addictive suggesting in any amount or circumstance and that was incorrect and misleading..

• Thanks 1

Sadly, codeine is the only effective remedy I've found for the (infrequent, thankfully) intense headaches I get.

In 'the good old days" I used to buy aspirin or acetaminphen with codeine in Canada ("222's"), Hong Kong, or New Zealand, but pretty much world-wide now it's prescription only. And, here in Thailand when I see a doctor they seem to recoil as if I'm a desperate, lying junkie when I ask specifically for it.

The closest OTC I've found is tramadol, but more than easing the pain, it mainly spaces me out so much that I don't care as much about the pain. I am aware tramadol also is addictive.

• 1 year later...

After days of coughing, your lungs become irritated. the irratation causes you to cough, thereby starting a positive feedback situation. You have to break that feedback cycle.

Codine normally works for me in the US but codine is hard to get that here, so maybe this is a good fallback position :)

As one of the previous poster mentioned, I'll just need 10 to 12 bottles a day :D

About 2 years ago i had a dry explosive cough, tried the lot,drugs, herbal, nothing would stop it, in the end, i could only walk 10mtrs being breathless, the chest pain made me think id broken some ribs, x-rays showed i had bruised the lung casings, and also some blood clots, luckily i got treatment in time,

I agree with others, its best not to supress a dry cough, i learnt my lesson! i bought a nebulizer and use a saline solution, check the web, its good, 10 mins morn, 10 mins night, or as much as you want, no probs, after all, seamen breathe salt air all the time, and this really loosens the mucus/pleghm/snot whatever you want to call it, i used to suffer every dry season, but not any more.