US Army Donates US$ 50,000 To Thai School

webfact

US Army's Bt1.5million gift to Thai school

The Nation

30174985-01_big.jpg

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- The US Army has donated US$50,000 (Bt1.5 million) for a new school building at Ban Wang Nam Khieo School (Poungpho Upatham) in Nakhon Ratchasima's Wang Nam Khieo district, Senior Colonel Kangwalklai Chomphusri, deputy chief of staff of the Army Region 2's 2nd Development Division said yesterday.

Kangwalklai said 21 Thai and 30 American soldiers would erect the building's three classrooms and toilets. It's slated to be handed over to the school on February 16 as part of the Cobra Gold 2012 H/CA Project.

Cobra Gold is a multilateral training exercise of three events. They are training at Ruam Rerng Chai Club; field training at Phu Lamyai in Nakhon Ratchasima's Pak Thong Chai district, Lop Buri's Chai Badan district, and Phitsanulok's Wang Thong district; and public service works at six locations,incljuding two in Nakhon Ratchasima.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-02

Wow... Where did the US Army get the money?

It's always fun to spend money that's not yours.

15 + trillion in debt with an economy on the verge of collapse.

This might be a "feel good" story to some.

But as a man who is not proud to be an American citizen and taxpayer, I find it irresponsible, arrogant and ostentatious.

• Like 1

These Guys are Farange it seems....Spot on boys.....America Exports Good Will....wheres Germany,England,Great Britan,Spain,Portugal,Sweden,and the Sub-continents.......We can do it...no Face involved...lost that is....I hope that school has Well trained Faculty...WPFflags.gif

But as a man who is not proud to be an American citizen and taxpayer, I find it irresponsible, arrogant and ostentatious.

I feel sorry for you that you are so bitter. America has many faults for sure, but Americans are the most generous people on the planet.

And for your hatred of our country, I suggest you read a poem written centuries ago by Sr.Walter Scott..."The Lay of the Last Minstrel"

Breathes there a man with soul so dead,

who never to himself has said,

This is my home, my native land,

who's heart hath nere within him burned,

as home his footsteps he has turned,

from wandering on a foreign strand?

If such there breathes, go mark him well...... etc

• Like 1

I find it rather odd that the Thai govt have no issue in excepting this good will offering of building a new school from the USA,but refused their help during the worst flooding for fifty years.

No they didn't - the US military was quite active in helping during the floods - but don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant lol

• Like 1

I find it rather odd that the Thai govt have no issue in excepting this good will offering of building a new school from the USA,but refused their help during the worst flooding for fifty years.

No they didn't - the US military was quite active in helping during the floods - but don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant lol

The facts were there for all to see,the USS George Washington and several other naval ships were en route to help but received mixed messages from the govt,so returned to planned duties elsewhere.

For humanitarian work, the United States often deploys warships, including aircraft carriers, which can operate fleets of helicopters and ferry in emergency medical teams and supplies.

Instead a group of ten marines were sent to assess,and also assist with sand bags.

I think it's great that they are building this new school and am by no means trying to find fault,I merely stated that from press reports of the time the amount of help the Thai govt sought from the USA was minimal.

Edited by stoneyboy

The facts were there for all to see,the USS George Washington and several other naval ships were en route to help but received mixed messages from the govt,so returned to planned duties elsewhere.

For humanitarian work, the United States often deploys warships, including aircraft carriers, which can operate fleets of helicopters and ferry in emergency medical teams and supplies.

Instead a group of ten marines were sent to assess,and also assist with sand bags.

I think it's great that they are building this new school and am by no means trying to find fault,I merely stated that from press reports of the time the amount of help the Thai govt sought from the USA was minimal.

I see you stopped reading after that report - further reports went on to list many US military contributions - including helicoter surveys and flood management expert assessments - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15503346

http://thebrigade.thechive.com/2011/10/20/u-s-marines-and-thai-army-help-with-worst-recorded-flood-in-thailands-history-22-photos/

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2011/11/177239.htm

Oh and read this one - http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2011/10/29/u-s-military-to-survey-thailand-floods.html

They did ask for help, after first saying there were ok. Frankly - the Thai Military were quite up to the task during the floods - they rescued thousands, provided transport, food, and shelter for tens of thousands, and generally accounted very well of themselves.

Reading is fun! You can learn stuff!

Take the entire direct and indirect cost of the "Cobra Gold" exercises.

Compare to this drop in the bucket.

Now compare to say all expenditures spent on "fighting terrorism", including Iraq and Afghanistan.

Becomes sub-atomic doesn't it?

And you're criticising them building a school?

Direct your anger and shame at more appropriate targets. . .

I'm also a fellow American, and although I am proud of many aspects of our society and culture, I too am ashamed of the actions and policies of the group that's been running the show, basically since

, not to mention the financial sector's "masters of the universe".

Fundamentally, it's the fault of the American people for failing to elect politicians who could keep these corrupt elements from taking over. To the extent that Citizens United continues to stand as supreme law of the land, I'm afraid it's game over, and we will continue to witness the "fall" side of the "rise and fall" that has occurred with every great empire.

Ya so arrogant to spend money helping people, isn't it?

I'm proud of them. I'd rather they spend their time and money helping those who really need it than killing innocents.

Why am I not surprised that a TV member wants to turn a nice story like this into something sinister. Gotta feeling you do that often.

I agree with one of the other posters Bangkapi.....where did the USA get the money except borrow from the Chinese. Do not get me wrong, its a great cause but when you are broke you are broke and the USA needs to learn that lesson.

• Like 1

Whether it was Cobra Gold Exercise funds or individual soldier/airmen donations (I mentioned airmen since I see in the picture the guy with the red hart hat has U.S. Air Force stripes on his sleeve), it's a durn nice thing they did. I would guess it was from exercise funds to give the military folks hands-on training in constructing a building in a 3d world country (simulating a potential conflict zone) where you wouldn't have access to the exact same type of building materials or maybe use the same construction techniques as in a western country. Good military training and good foreign relations mixed into one.

For the uninformed:

All US Military organizations support charity donations, thus have their own charity funds. The money came fromthe paychecks of the men who are building the school.

This is S.O.P. (Standard Operating Procedure) for and Civil Engineering unit deployed overseas. For Bander Ache, following the Tsunami, many villages were completely rebult and electricity wired (for the first time in history)...

In the early 90's I was associated with a USAF CE unit which in one year, rebuilt 3 schools and one hospital, while deployed.

Now compare to say all expenditures spent on "fighting terrorism", including Iraq and Afghanistan.

I'm also a fellow American, and although I am proud of many aspects of our society and culture, I too am ashamed of the actions and policies of the group that's been running the show, basically since

Fundamentally, it's the fault of the American people for failing to elect politicians who could keep these corrupt elements from taking over. To the extent that Citizens United continues to stand as supreme law of the land, I'm afraid it's game over, and we will continue to witness the "fall" side of the "rise and fall" that has occurred with every great empire.

AMEN..!!

These Guys are Farange it seems....Spot on boys.....America Exports Good Will....wheres Germany,England,Great Britan,Spain,Portugal,Sweden,and the Sub-continents.......We can do it...no Face involved...lost that is....I hope that school has Well trained Faculty...WPFflags.gif

Der the countries that you listed don't do it because they are not involved in Cobra Gold. The US might be doing it as a kind of compensation for property damage caused by the exercises. I recall in the Cold war days that the British Army spent a lot of money fixing up people's property in Germany after they had carried out military exercises.

It is sub-atomic in the big picture. If it is so insiginficant, then why a story about it?

Why is the PR needed for the dying empire?

I'm only criticizing one thing..... fiscal irresponsibility at all levels

My main point that people don't seem to get is just this.....

The huge national debt and the money being thrown away is not theirs, but is the labor of unborn generations.

RON PAUL 2012

• Like 1

Thai gov't = Odd

Edited by FM505

It probably far exceeds any contribution made by Thais for schools. If it was US taxpayer money, then it is questionable as to what the US Army was doing handing out US taxpayer money. If it was the troops "donating" then it is a very nice gesture. If it was calculated based on the hourly pay of the troops to "build" the school, like a Habitat for Humanity initiative, then it is commendable on the part of the US Army. It would be good to know later how much of this money, if it was cash, ended up lining the pockets of various Thai "officials."

• Like 1

You know, my first impression was similar to yours. But upon reading the details of the story, I've come to think the goodwill built-up by not only the $50k, but also the relationships formed by the Thai and US military personnel building the school will in the long run more than make up for the relatively small expense involved. Especially when compared to the billions squandered and/or disappeared in Iraq and Afghanistan, this is a bargain.

I feel sorry for you that you are so bitter. America has many faults for sure, but Americans are the most generous people on the planet.

And for your hatred of our country, I suggest you read a poem written centuries ago by Sr.Walter Scott..."The Lay of the Last Minstrel"

Breathes there a man with soul so dead,

who never to himself has said,

This is my home, my native land,

who's heart hath nere within him burned,

as home his footsteps he has turned,

from wandering on a foreign strand?

If such there breathes, go mark him well...... etc

clap2.gifclap2.gif Well said.

You know, my first impression was similar to yours. But upon reading the details of the story, I've come to think the goodwill built-up by not only the $50k, but also the relationships formed by the Thai and US military personnel building the school will in the long run more than make up for the relatively small expense involved. Especially when compared to the billions squandered and/or disappeared in Iraq and Afghanistan, this is a bargain.

I don't think this $50k will bring the the US closer to the verge of collapse.

And if you compared it for what all these other billions are pulverised in Iraq or Afghanistan it is money well spent.