Drive To India From Thailand

Slaps

An optimistic puff piece. Give it 20 years at least for the all the roads to be built to make a Thai to India road trip possible.

To the OP, don't forget that those "neglected north-east" states have a number of separate insurgency and separatists movements, primarily in Greater Assam, which restrict access to the region for foreigners. Most of those movements have been ongoing for decades so do not expect the situation to change int he near future.

In some ways given the beauty of eastern India and western Burma, eg. Nagaland and Naga State it will be a great tragedy for the flora and fauna of this area let alone the marginalised locals in the area. Trafficking of endangered species is already a big problem.

Yeah, all those no-go spots will end up like the Burmese Andaman - ruined in some way (logging?) before anyone gets to see them.

A bit of puff but have to say we have seen more movement of of the Mynamar govt this year than the decade past.

Never gonna happen - but it is one of my dream trips. Not even easy to getup to NE India.

I am 50, yes I will pay my share of everything. I currently possess a ten year Indian visa good until 2014. I have been to India half dozen times and Myanmar four times. I would argue I am one of if not the most seasoned backpackers on this forum.

Yes

Thanks i will not argue you on that, the trip has been on my list for years. The only thing i can do is shake hands and see what the future will bring.