Does Anyone Know Where To Take Kids Camping

leininger

I promised to take kids from orphanage camping in Doi Saket this month but today I find out it is full. Does anyone know of place close to Chiang Mai besides Doi Inthanon where they have campground. I do not care so much about cost only that it is fairly close to Chiang Mai and has a good road to get there if possible. Thank you.

Great time of year to do so!

How far away from Chiang Mai are you looking to travel?

There is the camp ground on the top of Doi Pui that will offer that nice morning chill experience. Tharn Thong lodge, on the road to the flight of the Gibbon, offers a nice man made setting with all facilities on hand - this was a fav evening getaway for us (2nd only to Doi Pui), dinner and camping, when my son was a bit younger. The Botanical gardens in Mae Rim offer camping, though I never seen this site. T-Dog reported about Phu Che Fah, which I found when I'd followed his route the boy scouts have used this campsite. Several resorts in the Samoeng area offer camping like the Forest Guest house for one. There was that Doi/Mai Jam spot written up in City life awhile ago too. Oblaung gorge park is close spot too, popular with groups of youths. There are more, and the further afield you travel even more so.

Edited by Fishenough

Ob Khan national park, 10km out from hang dong, along canal road away from CM and follow the signs.

Camp ground in park on other side of river across the bamboo bridge. Car inner tubes supplied for use in the river, sandy beaches.

Oblaung or ObKhan, I've read both names for the same place - but the sign for the turn off reads ObKhan. The bamboo bridge is gone for now, but they allow group camping up past the restaurant. Haven't been there in a month and half, does anyone know if the water is clear currently?

Ob Khan national park, 10km out from hang dong, along canal road away from CM and follow the signs.

Camp ground in park on other side of river across the bamboo bridge. Car inner tubes supplied for use in the river, sandy beaches.

Oblaung or ObKhan, I've read both names for the same place - but the sign for the turn off reads ObKhan. The bamboo bridge is gone for now, but they allow group camping up past the restaurant. Haven't been there in a month and half, does anyone know if the water is clear currently?

The bridge and the water were fine last week.

Oblaung or ObKhan, I've read both names for the same place - but the sign for the turn off reads ObKhan.

These are NOT the same place. There is an Ob Luang, past Hot district on the road to Mae Sariang (far). There is the much closer (and more scenic) Ob Khan on the Khan river in Hang Dong district, near Nam Phrae village.Ob Khan on the Khan river in Hang Dong district, near Nam Phrae village.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The soldiers at the mule-transport army-base (on the Mae-Rim road) have a camp-site, with a small assault-course & a lake, which we used for a kids' birthday-party, but it's also used by school-groups. But that might be too close to the orphanage ?

Oblaung or ObKhan, I've read both names for the same place - but the sign for the turn off reads ObKhan.

These are NOT the same place. There is an Ob Luang, past Hot district on the road to Mae Sariang (far). There is the much closer (and more scenic) Ob Khan on the Khan river in Hang Dong district, near Nam Phrae village.Ob Khan on the Khan river in Hang Dong district, near Nam Phrae village.

My mistake on Thai place names, not my first time and likely not my last. ObLuang is one I haven't visit, worth a early morning ride as by bike the turn off is maybe 2 - 2.5 hours from south Chiang Mai.

Good to hear the bridge is back at ObKhan, there is some nice walking trails on the other side. ObKhan - is a real gem in our backyard - 18.7229, 98.8216

dbdcaf7d.jpg

I was on my motorbike yesterday, and I wandered up a road that ended up at a fantastic camp-site in the mountains. Spectacular.

It was part of a Hmong village, with a large camp-site and lots of tents overlooking the mountains. It was also quite high up. Road was not paved all the way but decent.

Coming from Mae Rim on the Samoeng road, the turnoff is 3km up on the right.

This right-hand turnoff is just before the petrol station (I think PTT). On the other side of the petrol station is an ATV rental place.

From there is is about 15km to the site...

I only came to one fork in the road (at Pang Kha), and I took the left one. It goes up and on, and ends up at this fantastic campsite.

I just looked it up on a MAP!!! (google didn't have it!), and it is called Hmong Lodge - and it is on the Ban Hai, Pang Haeo, Sukantara Resort road...

Really lovely up there...

Edited by wjmark

I was on my motorbike yesterday, and I wandered up a road that ended up at a fantastic camp-site in the mountains. Spectacular.

It was part of a Hmong village, with a large camp-site and lots of tents overlooking the mountains. It was also quite high up. Road was not paved all the way but decent.

Coming from Mae Rim on the Samoeng road, the turnoff is 3km up on the right.

This right-hand turnoff is just before the petrol station (I think PTT). On the other side of the petrol station is an ATV rental place.

From there is is about 15km to the site...

I only came to one fork in the road (at Pang Kha), and I took the left one. It goes up and on, and ends up at this fantastic campsite.

I just looked it up on a MAP!!! (google didn't have it!), and it is called Hmong Lodge - and it is on the Ban Hai, Pang Haeo, Sukantara Resort road...

Really lovely up there...

Was back up there yesterday. Just want to correct the directions.

The turn off the Samoeng road is just before the PT petrol station. And the campground is not at the Hmong Lodge - it is about 4-5km past it.

The fork in the road is past the Hmong Lodge, and is marked by a 'fork in the road' sign. The left road is unpaved and goes up the hill. That is the one to the campground - maybe 3km.

Yes. Turn left onto 1096 from 4 Seasons rd. The right turn is about 1.5km past the X-Center (which is on the left side), but on the other side (right side).

Turn right (off 1096) just before the PT petrol station. There is a sign for Sukantara. Go 18km (veer left on the only fork in the road - about 12km in) you are there!

Yes. Turn left onto 1096 from 4 Seasons rd. The right turn is about 1.5km past the X-Center (which is on the left side), but on the other side (right side).

Turn right (off 1096) just before the PT petrol station. There is a sign for Sukantara. Go 18km (veer left on the only fork in the road - about 12km in) you are there!

Sounds close to or maybe a little north of Mon Jam camping which can be reached by surfaced road from the Samoeng road, turn off west of Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens.

ME wonders whether these camp sites have sprung up in response to the booze ban in national parks, 'cos many Thais seem to think that camping in the mountains is just an excuse to get drunk & sing awful out of tune karaoke. Anyone had experience of these campsites at weekends? Or even NP campsites - are they still remote karaoke venues, or are families seeking a bit of peace 'n' quiet welcome? wjmark, could you post coordinates so that the gps, google earth crowd can get an exact location?

Edited by MESmith