Khaosarn Road Tourists Injured In Bus Accident

Jai Dee

I believe bus travel carries a much higher risk here than in most other countries and any inspection of a police impound on a major highway should be enough to convince anyone not to leave the driving to a bus driver if they have any other choice. If you do use a bus the odds are probably better with the government system (blue or red Transport Company) as the drivers are much better disciplined and do have drug tests on long hauls. But it is true that everyone can have accidents and the driver flees the scene is a normal occurrence to provide time to obtain bail money - you go directly to jail here otherwise.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shame there were no casualties.

:D

What's that supposed to mean??? :D

Are bus-passengers yet another one of your numerous "pet-hates"? :o

Zzap, Don't be so hard on the boy, he just doesn't have a brain :D , and will shoot himself in the foot over and over again.

First time in thailand i got robbed on one of them so called vip coachs too and my friend also on another. Heard of loads of people who get stuff robbed out of there bags on them and also of them finding clothes belong to other people on them that the thieves put back in the wrong bags.

To have one of them coachs actually overturn is mad. The driver couldn't even have being breath tested for drink cause he ran same as thais learn to do in school.

I'm sure when he is caught that he will lie lie lie.

I hope the passengers heal well without too many long term effects and that the bus insurance will cover them.

Are bus-passengers yet another one of your numerous "pet-hates"? :o

DJ Pats got that expat view that hes better than tourists over here, sometimes it makes him look like a prick, most times in fact.

Don't worry, he gets bullied by his security guards on a regular basis. :D

I took a similar bus when an inferior backpacker - it's convenient. How the hel_l was I supposed to know about the other bus terminals when in bkk for 1 day?

I used to see heaps of backpackers standing at Ekkamai waiting for the bus to KSR. A taxi would work out at about 40 baht each and no hassling all the bus passengers with those mobile homes on their backs, making them look like snails.

I hope they get better quickly.

Are bus-passengers yet another one of your numerous "pet-hates"? :D

DJ Pats got that expat view that hes better than tourists over here, sometimes it makes him look like a prick, most times in fact.

Yeah, I read about this. Isn't he just some brown-arsed "Luk krueng" who thinks he can subscribe to security services without leaving a tip?

Does anyone "dig" this guy, apart from teenage students desperate for a few Baht pocket money? :o:D

A double-decker bus is an expensive piece of equipment as far as road transportation goes, the vendor owner you think would at least try to get an operator that's going to take care of that asset.

I've been in mini-vans where the driver is in 2nd gear apparently oblivious to the screaming high tacking engine for mile after mile. Should I have suggested for him maybe he might want to change gears, not if I want to find myself on the side of the road. :o

Fortunately, everyone is driving so f..ed up that they're all in sync, and for the amount of traffic your chances of getting somewhere in one piece are surprising good.

Took a bus from BKK to Udon thani,broke down after about 2 hrs,

waited over 3 hrs for a replacement bus,right on the road (night time)

But really the only thing that REALLY pissed me off was the film,

upstairs we had no picture but we had sound,LOUD sound

for the WHOLE movie,must say good driver,but SLOW !!!! :o:D:D:D

Are bus-passengers yet another one of your numerous "pet-hates"? :D

Yeah, I read about this. Isn't he just some brown-arsed "Luk krueng" who thinks he can subscribe to security services without leaving a tip?

Does anyone "dig" this guy, apart from teenage students desperate for a few Baht pocket money? :o:D

Who is this person (DJ Pat) anyway? He seems to have a reputation.

Edited by Artisan

while i appreciate the level of driver awarness, mainly anticipation of possible dangers -tailgating for example - is almost non existent, (in the next life i will be rich!) i have travelled throughout thailand on gvt busses from mo chit/ekkamai without incident -touch wood. ive never had anything nicked and find thai people generally honest (ok so they try overcharge you and add F.A.T. -farrang added tax).

i have however been terrified by mini bus drivers travelling far too fast and too close (12 inches!) to the vehicle in front - by far the worst was actually in vietnanm.

another candidate for the 'dangerous awards' are those little green things that whizz through your line of vision like a blur leaving only the smell of burning rubber and huge clouds of diesel pollution behind. where do they learn the ropes, FORMULA 1? STOCK CAR RACING ON TV? ROLLER DERBY STUNT DRIVING SCHOOL? the point of busses is to transport people from place to place, not to see how many fall over when you jam the brake on hard then accelerate like schumi. THATS IF THEY EVEN STOP WHEN THEY SEE A FARANG! they should simply be banned and maybe the pollution in bkk would improve!

Never been able to understand people who prefer to travel long distances by bus when an excellent or even adequate alternative train service is available as is mostly the case in Thailand. Maybe understandable in the case of Americans who are totally highway-fixated, but for Europeans????? How many readers know that there is a regularly scheduled train from Hualamphong (BKK) to Psttaya? :D:o

Edited by oljoe

INSURANCE? did someone say insurance? i bet you will find that there is no insurance to cover medical bills for farrangs. a friend of mine was nearly killed by a pissed tuk tuk driver who got hit by a chang beer truck while overtaking. he got what was left over after tuk tuk repairs, about 7,000B. the 3 months intensive care cost about a million baht. if he hadnt had a million baht he'd be dead. now hes just broke (in more ways than one).

the tuk tuk driver was still drinking in the police station, not even charged and back on the road within a week. out of order. insurance shuold be made compulsary on all vehicles, especially passenger carriers.

Never been able to understand people who prefer to travel long distances by bus when an excellent or even adequate alternative train service is available as is mostly the case in Thailand.   Maybe understandable in the case of Americans who are totally highway-fixated, but for Europeans?????     :D  :o

TRAINS? you've never been on a train here have you? if you want to spend half a day making a 2hr journey, then have to wait until the next days return train service, then trains are fine. but most people want to get somewhere a little quicker (visa run for example). you try get the 1pm train to aranyaprathet and then make the border crossing to poipet b4 border closing (8pm)! the train back is in the morning next day, probably so you cant make the border crossing and back and catch the train.

also the trains only service a few cities, most places upcountry are miles from a train station. buses go to just about every city and town in thailand on a regular frequent basis, there is no alternative.

i have cought the sleeper train to chiang mai panang, khota baru, nong khai and udon a few times -but 12/14 hours (18 to penang). u can fly to udon for the same price now (600B) if u book early, 1 hour less hassle. penang too i believe.

the train was ok, but a long time rattling anbout and too noisy to sleep. on the bus from nong khai i nearly froze to death with the aircon set too low - if you go on the bus always take a jacket or something (collision airbag and crash helmet too if you havce one!)

Edited by mushepea

When I'm driving from BKK to Chantaburi (1-2 times a month) and it's raining you can be nearly 100% sure there is minimum 1 bus off the road...

Thais tend to use their tyres until they explode. I think they perceive the tyreprofile as a nice ornament :D .

Btw, no rain no accidents...normaly :o

Patex

As long as back-packers / tourists only want to pay an small amount to travel hundreds of kilometers in Thailand accidents will happen.

My experience in Chiang Mai watching this cheap charlys buying there bus tickets to BKK (Koa San Road): The shopkeeper is asking Baht 250,--. (regular fair) and then they want to have a discount. (I'm a backpacker you know) As the shopkeeper have to pay the buscompany Baht 200,-- / ticket there is only 50 Baht left for the seller. He wants to sell so the price has to go down, even to Baht 210,--He then have to make phonecalls for reservations etc. Any profit ?

The lucky backpacker will be transported by a bus that is (as mentioned before on this log) licensed only for use for organised tourist travel. And the only stop is Koa San because there is a deal with the guesthouses.

My own experience: take the Nakorn Chai Air Bus Company or the "999" busses. You pay more but there are always 2 experienced drivers, they drive very safe and the service is the best in Thailand. What ever you prefer, bus, train, car or plain its up tou you to limit the riks you want to take and that is first of all don't be a cheap charly.

I took that bus once. Everyone on there had their luggage rifled through and things taken before getting dumped in Surat Thani at four in the morning.

Direct bus to Phuket my arse. Ironically they took my address book (leather bound) but left brand new Levis, designer shirts etc.

What indeed has Phuket (direct bus or otherwise) got to do with this thread ?????

It is the same bus route and probably the same bus.

They lied about it being a direct bus.

They stole from me.

If you cannot trust them with your possessions or to tell you the truth then their driving should also not be trusted, as this incident points out.

It seems logical to let people know so they are aware of the problem. Many people use Thai Visa Forum as a guide to Thailand and I would hope that anyone reading this thread will avoid buses and take safer methods of transport.

Who is this person (DJ Pat) anyway? He seems to have a reputation.

Really? Reputation for what?

I really don't know. When a topic develops into a private conversation, or an opportunity for slanging a third person, then I have to ask who the subscribers are referring to, otherwise what's the point of it all? Sorry that I might have offended, there was no intention, but please read previous posts.

Out of curiosity do bus drivers, truck drivers etc need a special licence here, as required in the UK for example?

I wonder why people from the UK think things are so special there. God help anyone thinking about taking a train in the bloody UK.

This sample just highlights some of the more spectacular mayhem-inducing chaos while riding the rails in pommie-land where special licences don't seem to help the morons running the trains.

A chronology of some of the worst rail accidents in the UK:

10 May 2002: At least seven people have died and over 70 are injured after the WAGN 1245 service from London to Kings Lynn crashed at Potters Bar in Hertfordshire. Three of the four carriages derailed and one ploughed along the platform and smashed into a bridge. The accident is just a few miles from Hatfield, scene of a fatal crash in 2000.

28 February 2001: A GNER train from York to London King's Cross crashed at Great Heck between Goole and Selby, north Yorkshire, on the East Coast main line. A Land Rover slid down an embankment from the M62 into the path of an express train. The express was derailed by the impact and then collided with a freight train travelling in the opposite direction.

17 October 2000: Four people were killed and a further 35 were hurt when a GNER London to Leeds train, travelling at over 100mph, derailed at Hatfield, Hertfordshire. A broken rail was found to be the "substantial" cause of the accident.

5 October 1999:Thirty-one people were killed when two trains collided at Ladbroke Grove, just outside Paddington station, in London.

23 June 1999: Thirty-one people were injured after a London to Glasgow Virgin Rail train collided with a stationary local train near Winsford, Cheshire.

19 September 1997: A speeding express from Swansea to Paddington crashed into an empty freight train at Southall, killing seven people. The public Health and Safety inquiry into the crash opened in September 1999.

8 August 1996: One person killed and 69 people were injured when a train collided with a stationary passenger train at Watford South Junction in Hertfordshire.

31 January 1995: A guard was killed and 30 other people injured in an accident at Aisgill on the Settle to Carlisle line.

October 1994: Five killed and 12 injured in a head-on crash after driver ran a red signal near Cowden in Kent.

December 1991: Just over 100 people were injured when two trains bound for Cardiff collided deep inside the railway tunnel beneath the River Severn.

1990: A train driver was killed and 35 injured at Stafford station in a two-train crash in August.

Some months later, two passengers died and more than 240 were injured after a train ran into buffers at London's Cannon Street Station.

After that, four people died and 22 were injured in a head-on crash at Newton station near Glasgow.

March 1989: Five people died and more than 90 were injured when two trains collided outside Purley station in south London.

Two days later, two suburban electric trains in Glasgow collided head-on on a single track and two people died.

And on 30 November, 15 people were injured when two interCity expresses collided outside Newcastle upon Tyne Central Station.

12 December 1988: In the worst train accident of recent years, 35 people died in the Clapham Junction crash in a rush-hour collision.

The Hidden inquiry into the crash recommended the installation of automatic train protection (ATP) for the whole rail network. But the £750m price tag was considered too high by British Rail and the government, immediately prior to privatisation in 1993, and implementation of the safety system was ruled out.

November 1988: A train driver was killed and 18 passengers hurt when a commuter train ploughed into a bridge after leaving the tracks at St. Helens, Merseyside

October 1987: Four people died when a train fell into the swollen River Towy after the rail bridge collapsed. And in the same month 14 were injured when two trains collided at Forest Gate, on the Liverpool Street, London, line.

1986: A number of rail accidents resulted in 11 deaths and 123 people injured. The worst of these was on July 26, when nine people were killed and 11 injured when a passenger train hit a van on a level crossing at Lockington, Yorkshire. In September that year 60 were hurt and one killed in a collision between two express trains at Colwich, Staffordshire.

July 1984: 13 killed and 44 hurt in a derailment.

October 1979: Five killed and 52 hurt when two trains collide at Invergowrie after a warning signal is ignored by one of the drivers.

February 1975: 43 people died and 74 were hurt when a train hit the end of a cul-de-sac tunnel at Moorgate Underground station in central London.

June 1975: Two trains including the Euston to Glasgow sleeper service collided at Nuneaton station, Warwickshire, killing six people and injuring 67.

December 1973: A train derailed in Ealing, west London, killing 10 people and injuring 94.

May 1969: Six people died and 121 were injured when a London-Aberdeen express derailed at Morpeth in Northumberland.

November 1967: A derailment at Hither Green in south London killed 49 people and injured 78.

December 1957: A train ran through a red signal in the fog and collided with another train at Lewisham, south London, killing 90 people and injuring 173.

October 12, 1952: 112 people killed and 340 hurt when two express trains collided at Harrow and Wealdstone, in north west London, and a third train ran into the wreckage.

It seems to be the same the world over Mr. Kaojai. Australia is no different

A chronology of some of the major railway accidents in Australia:

Nov 16 2004: More than 100 people injured when a high-speed Tilt Train derails at Rosedale, north of Bundaberg in Queensland.

Jan 31 2003: Seven people killed and dozens injured when a Tangara train derails near Waterfall station, south of Sydney.

Dec 2, 1999: Seven people were killed and 51 injured when a Sydney-bound commuter train slammed into the back of the Indian Pacific at Glenbrook in the Blue Mountains.

August 18, 1999: Twenty people injured when the Indian Pacific hit a stationary freight train at low-speed 250km east of Kalgoorlie.

July 7, 1999: Three passengers injured when a CityRail train derails between Sydney suburban stations, Hornsby and Asquith.

May 19, 1998: Two train drivers die when their freight train derails near Robertson, south-west of Wollongong.

January 14, 1996: A train driver and a young boy die when a freight train collides with a fuel train at Hines Hill, 240km east of Perth.

May 6, 1990: Six people die when an Intercity express train crashes into vintage steam train "3801" at Cowan, north of Sydney.

January 18, 1977: Australia's worst railway disaster occurs at Granville, Sydney. Eighty-three people die when a peak-hour train derails and crashes into a concrete bridge.

January 16, 1976: Goods train ploughs into the back of a stalled passenger train at Glenbrook, NSW. One dead, 10 injured.

February 7, 1969: Nine people die when the Sydney-Melbourne express travelling at 120kph, collides head-on with a goods train at Violet Town, Victoria.

February 26, 1960: Seven people die when a flood-weakened bridge collapses underneath the Rockhampton-bound Midlander at Bogantungan, Queensland.

December 1, 1956: Five people die in an accident at Wallumbilla, Queensland.

December 19, 1953: Five people die and 748 are injured in a collision between two passenger trains at Sydenham, Sydney.

June 1, 1952: Nine die in bus-train accident at a level crossing at Boronia, Victoria.

May 7, 1952: Ten die, 81 injured in train accident at Berala, Sydney.

February 24, 1951: 11 people killed in a collision between a bus and a train at a level crossing near Horsham, Victoria.

June 30, 1948: Mail train derails at Rocky Ponds, near Harden, NSW. Four people killed and 19 injured.

October 18, 1947: Eight people killed when mail trains collide at Tamaree, Queensland.

May 5, 1947: Train derails at Camp Mountain, Queensland, killing 16 people.

Never been able to understand people who prefer to travel long distances by bus when an excellent or even adequate alternative train service is available as is mostly the case in Thailand.  Maybe understandable in the case of Americans who are totally highway-fixated, but for Europeans?????    How many readers know that there is a regularly scheduled train from Hualamphong (BKK) to Psttaya?    :D  :o

Last time I looked the scheduled journey time Pattaya - BKK was about 6 hours!

Never been able to understand people who prefer to travel long distances by bus when an excellent or even adequate alternative train service is available as is mostly the case in Thailand.  Maybe understandable in the case of Americans who are totally highway-fixated, but for Europeans?????    How many readers know that there is a regularly scheduled train from Hualamphong (BKK) to Psttaya?    :D  :o

Last time I looked the scheduled journey time Pattaya - BKK was about 6 hours!

Eddie you were lucky to reach Bangkok from Pattaya by train in 6 hours. It can be even longer!!! I wouldn't recommend to anyone this once-a-day, and at an inconvenient time, train service from Pattaya to Bangkok.

Very informative post Kaojai, and a good counter from Artisan. Kaojai, If you read my original post I was referring to DRIVING licences, in response to the BUS accident, I never mentioned trains. I'm sure your country has similar licence laws regarding driving a bus, truck or other large/passenger carrying vehicles too. I was asking does Thailand?

There have been many threads about the 'skill' of Thai bus drivers, everything from excellent through to drunken, drug crazed loonies. You must have had your own experiences with them, or seen the aftermath of accidents involving buses here. Maybe if a special licence, coupled with proper training, incidents of this kind might be reduced, there again it might not, TIT!

Very informative post Kaojai, and a good counter from Artisan.  Kaojai, If you read my original post I was referring to DRIVING licences, in response to the BUS accident, I never mentioned trains.  I'm sure your country has similar licence laws regarding driving a bus, truck or other large/passenger carrying vehicles too.  I was asking does Thailand?

There have been many threads about the 'skill' of Thai bus drivers, everything from excellent through to drunken, drug crazed loonies.  You must have had your own experiences with them, or seen the aftermath of accidents involving buses here.  Maybe if a special licence, coupled with proper training, incidents of this kind might be reduced, there again it might not, TIT!

Interesting that no one has mentioned seatbelts - was the bus in question fitted with seatbelts - stupid question really but u never know. The tragic yet comical seatbelt situation in taxis where one half of the belt is fitted but not the buckle yet the driver HAS both ends is a guide. This suggests that buses are not fitted (i dont use buses so dont know) and therefore clearly if a bus overturns you get carnage. Get a big fck off volvo (or hummer) would be my suggestion to all who are concerned and advise friends to check in advance whether buses are fitted with seatbelts if possible before arrival.

Edited by Cabana

I'm not a regular long distance bus traveller here but I've yet to see belts in them. Mini buses-no belts, the odd time available in the front seat, taxis- again not a great deal of experience of them but the ones I've used had belts.

Many years ago at some show or other in the UK the Police had a car seat, with a belt, attached to a small ramp, the impact at the bottom was 7 mph. Even at that speed the impact was not very nice, and I would have been lying face down in the grass without it. Since then I've always worn a belt wherever possible, it made me think.