Luang Prabang To Vientiene....Safe? Bandits?

Canada

Hi. A few years a go I made this trip by bus and it carried an armed guard because of bandits.I want to make this trip in a few days in a private vehicle and am wondering about safety with regard to bandits.... any info out there?

We a re leaving from Chiang Mai on Sunday morning so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

OK, I'm not calling you a liar - it is POSSIBLE your bus had some guy with a rifle on it a few years ago (2-3!?). But I have not seen any weapons on this route in years (<2000). Last years I was there, loads of traffic up and down the corridor.

If you have just dreamed this up because you had heard years ago that there were Hmong bandits on the road. That was true. I am unaware of any recent reports.

I would not take my car - the road is very dangerous and if someone hits you, you will be at fault. People die all the time on that road. If you are worried about bandits would it not be safer to travel on a bus in casual clothes than in a fancy new SUV with Thai plates??

Edited by bangkokburning

OK, I'm not calling you a liar - it is POSSIBLE your bus had some guy with a rifle on it a few years ago (2-3!?). But I have not seen any weapons on this route in years (<2000). Last years I was there, loads of traffic up and down the corridor.

If you have just dreamed this up because you had heard years ago that there were Hmong bandits on the road. That was true. I am unaware of any recent reports.

I would not take my car - the road is very dangerous and if someone hits you, you will be at fault. People die all the time on that road. If you are worried about bandits would it not be safer to travel on a bus in casual clothes than in a fancy new SUV with Thai plates??

The first part of your post I agree with 100%

As for the part about someone hitting you, you will be at fault. Where did you get that from? If you are insured and someone hits you (not your fault) you will NOT be at fault. This is something I hear from time to time from people who believe what they hear in the bar.

I have had a few accidents in Laos and as none of them were my fault I wasn't blamed for any of them. Sure, when people see you are a farang they THINK they can put the blame on you but they CAN'T.

• Like 1

Well, you are the driver and while it is not good to know you have had "a few" accidents in Lao, it is good to know that you did not end up being responsible for them as is much the case - I am informed in Lao and a number of other SEA countries.

Seems I witness a (near) fatal accident on that road every time I have been up it since 2000.

• 2 weeks later...