HRW: Syrian security forces have tortured children

News_Editor

HRW: Syrian security forces have tortured children

2012-02-04 11:00:20 GMT+7 (ICT)

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) -- Syrian security forces have detained and tortured children with impunity during the past year, a rights group claimed on Friday. Hundreds of children have been killed as the government continues its crackdown on rebels and protesters.

Human Rights Watch said in a report that it has documented at least 12 cases of children being detained under inhumane conditions, children being tortured, and other children being shot while in their homes or on the street. The New York-based organization urged the United Nations Security Council to demand that the Syrian government ends all human rights violations.

"Children have not been spared the horror of Syria's crackdown," said Lois Whitman, children's rights director at Human Rights Watch. "Syrian security forces have killed, arrested, and tortured children in their homes, their schools, or on the streets. In many cases, security forces have targeted children just as they have targeted adults."

Human Rights Watch also said it has documented government use of schools as detention centers, military bases or barracks, and sniper posts, as well as the arrest of children from schools. It urged the Syrian government to stop deploying security forces in schools and hospitals.

"Human Rights Watch has documented widespread government violence against peaceful demonstrators, systematic killings, beatings, torture using electroshock devices, and detention of people seeking medical care," the rights group said in a statement.

Meanwhile, the United Nations Security Council is currently considering a draft resolution to end the situation in Syria, where thousands of people have been killed over the past 10 months in a government crackdown against a popular uprising. The resolution calls for an immediate cessation of violence by all parties and progress towards national dialogue that leads to a peaceful political resolution of the crisis.

Syria's Ambassador to the UN, Bashar Ja'afari, has said his country rejects any "international intervention" and added that "homelands are built by their own citizens." Ja'afari has also said that Syria will continue to protect its own people against armed elements, denouncing what he termed "feverish attempts" to interfere in Syria's internal affairs by misleading world public opinion.

According to the most recent figures released by the United Nations last month, at least 5,400 people have been killed as a result of violence during the uprising. Syrian human rights and opposition activists say the figure has since surpassed 7,000 and includes hundreds of children.

In late November, the United Nations Committee Against Torture also claimed it had received 'credible reports from sources' that children are being tortured and mutilated while in detention by security forces. Claudio Grossman, who heads the 10-member expert panel, provided no specific details to substantiate the claims.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-02-04

And what would be the reason or advantage for them to torture children?

What are you asking here? Are you suggesting someone here make an apologia for the Syrian regime's actions or you casting doubt on the report? In any case, a really weird loaded question.

What are you asking here? Are you suggesting someone here make an apologia for the Syrian regime's actions or you casting doubt on the report? In any case, a really weird loaded question.

I'm not casting any doubt,the reason I ask is that there must be a reason for this horror,and I can't believe they do it out of pleasure.

Ever heard about child soldiers?

I'm not casting any doubt,the reason I ask is that there must be a reason for this horror,and I can't believe they do it out of pleasure.

OMG. Ever heard of child protesters? Ever heard of murdering children because of their relatives? Ever heard of organized state terror?

OMG. Ever heard of child protesters? Ever heard of murdering children because of their relatives? Ever heard of organized state terror?

Ever heard of propaganda?

Why did you feel the need to play a drawn out game before spitting out what you really meant? That's annoying. I get it now. I was right about the loaded question gambit. You're feeling like the Syrian regime needs defending. Good luck with that. Edited by Jingthing

Why did you feel the need to play a drawn out game before spitting out what you really meant? That's annoying. I get it now. I was right about the loaded question gambit. You're feeling like the Syrian regime needs defending. Good luck with that.

No I don't think the syrian forces need defending,it might be that opposition needs defending.

And I'm not saying that I support anything the Syrian forces did!!!

Edited by janverbeem

And Russia remains a steadfast supporter and protector of the regime.

I doubt Russia supports torture of children.

*edited out*.

Apparently, Russia does support such activity as it has refused to speak out on the matter and has instead provided succor and strong support at the UN for the Syrian dictatorship. Russia has shown exceptionally poor leadership in the matter and has effectively alienated many arab countries. The Russian position is a reflection of the desperation of Russian foreign policy that sees its influence in a large part of the middle east waning fast.

The fact of the matter is that the Syrian government has targeted children and has brutalized them. Neither Russia, nor China nor much of the UN membership has said a word about it. The allegation of the victims having been child soldiers is unfounded. If these were child soldiers aka Hizbollah kid commandos, they would be going kaboom in the markets and schools. I suggest you read the UN report here. http://www2.ohchr.or...S-17-2-Add1.pdf If only 10% is true, it is still a searing indictment.

The investigation by the UN's independent international commission found patterns of summary execution, arbitrary arrest, enforced disappearance and torture, including sexual violence and abuse, some of it directed against children.

And before you or anyone alleges that this is a zionist, or American or British or Freemason or tale made up by Tak the guy who works at my local Big One, look at the commission members. All of them were considered friendly to the arab world.

On 12 September 2011, Paulo Pinheiro (Chairperson), Yakin Ertürk and Karen Koning AbuZayd. A secretariat of the commission, with a broad range of expertise in the field of human rights investigations and international law, was provided by OHCHR

Edited by Scott
deleted quote edited out

And Russia remains a steadfast supporter and protector of the regime.

I wouldn't expect anything less from them, or from China. Going by how they treat their own people, they couldn't really take any other position. The toothless UN should simply be bypassed on matters like this as this pair will just dig their hooves in every time. Barbaric.

• Like 1

The UN can be frustrating, but there isn't a lot the 'UN' can do. It can only do what its members want done.

The strength is that once they are involved, they can hang in there and gnaw away at the situation. They tend to stay for the long haul. Sadly, a lot of people may die in the meantime.

I wish the Arabl league would take the lead on the situation.

The UN can be frustrating, but there isn't a lot the 'UN' can do. It can only do what its members want done.

The strength is that once they are involved, they can hang in there and gnaw away at the situation. They tend to stay for the long haul. Sadly, a lot of people may die in the meantime.

I wish the Arabl league would take the lead on the situation.

After the debacle of the Arab league monitors I think they are beyond helping anyone except themselves. As for the UN.. With the current state of affairs I think we are better off without them.

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2012/02/russia-and-china-veto-resolution-on-syria-at-un.html