What Kind Of Bike Helmets Are Best?

richb2004

What kind of helmet do the bikers here wear?

I am planning or buying a bike and wonder what kind of helmet to go for, considering, comfort, safely, the heat, and price. Open face would be the obvious choice, but I've always felt that they don't offer as much protection. I would also assume the full face to be very hot. Then I need to consider the sweat factor. I don't want a helmet that is going to stink in a few months.

Any suggestions welcome.

What kind of helmet do the bikers here wear?

I am planning or buying a bike and wonder what kind of helmet to go for, considering, comfort, safely, the heat, and price. Open face would be the obvious choice, but I've always felt that they don't offer as much protection. I would also assume the full face to be very hot. Then I need to consider the sweat factor. I don't want a helmet that is going to stink in a few months.

Any suggestions welcome.

Better to have to clean the helmet regular than to have your face smashed up

Go for full face with crash credentials (like the italain or japanese ones)

Paddocks on Ratchadaphisek Rd. World class safety helmets at reasonable prices. Picked up a pair of Shoei RF 1000 helmets there several weeks ago. Only a slight mark up compared to the price back home (something like $440 in the US, and $480 here....they'll knock down 500 Baht off the price of each if you ask).

:o

I would go for a full face for crash (and sun)protection. I'm looking for a good one myself to replace my open face helmet. With the open face I have to cover my face really well with a neckerchief and large sunglasses otherwise any exposed skin results in red sunburnt patches on my face.

TIP. Don't become blase and leave top brand name helmets perched on wing mirrors or step-thru shopping baskets when parked. Over the years I've read and heard of guys having their expensive helmets stolen.

I think alot of the Thai youngsters know the value of them from the Thai bike mags.

Place a sticker of some sort over the one that says 'SHOEI'.

I think Shoei is Japanese for 'I'm expensive, steal me.'.....or maybe it means 'I'm worth two bottles of Lao Kao'. I can't remember. My Japanese is getting rusty. :o