Indefinite Stay Visa For Uk

Hi

My wifes 2 year UK spouse visa will finish in Feb and I have no idea what I need to do and what I need (paperwork) to get the indefinite stay visa. I know its about £500 if you go in person and want it the same day.

Im not sure where to go and Iv heard that me and my wife need 7 letters each with the same address on it. Is this true? :o

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

C1

You can either make the application by post or phone up and book an appointment at the nearest regional office. Whichever way you do it, you should do so about 1 month before your wife's 2-year visa expires. The cost is £335 for a postal application and £500 in person.

In order to qualify for indefinite leave, your wife will need to demonstrate that you have been living together for the last 2 years. The best way to do this is to show correspondence that the 2 of you have received at the same address. It doesn't necessarily have to have been sent to you jointly, just to the same address. Handy things to submit are bank statements, NHS cards, driving licences, any letters from a government office etc. You can further substantiate your claims by submitting photos taken during the 2 years and greetings cards you've exchanged. The clerk dealing with the application will expect to see evidence for the entire 2 years, not just from the last few months.

Scouse.

You can either make the application by post or phone up and book an appointment at the nearest regional office. Whichever way you do it, you should do so about 1 month before your wife's 2-year visa expires. The cost is £335 for a postal application and £500 in person.

In order to qualify for indefinite leave, your wife will need to demonstrate that you have been living together for the last 2 years. The best way to do this is to show correspondence that the 2 of you have received at the same address. It doesn't necessarily have to have been sent to you jointly, just to the same address. Handy things to submit are bank statements, NHS cards, driving licences, any letters from a government office etc. You can further substantiate your claims by submitting photos taken during the 2 years and greetings cards you've exchanged. The clerk dealing with the application will expect to see evidence for the entire 2 years, not just from the last few months.

Scouse.

Thanks scouser

Do you have to show a certain amount of correspondence or just enough to make them happy?

Will they accept correspondence from things like Air Miles, club cards, memberships etc ?

C1

Will they accept correspondence from things like Air Miles, club cards, memberships etc ?

Hi Chainat, i'm in the same boat as you and i am keeping hold of absolutely everything that has the Mrs name on it that links her and shows that she is living at our address. I beleive you can't have too much evidence but i know people who have had not enough.

Good luck

MrBoJ

Correspondence from official-type organisations carries a bit more weight, but there's no harm in chucking everything in.

My missus is due to apply in 6 months and we'll present her monthly bank statements, her monthly mobile phone bills, her provisional driving licence and her NHS card. Those and a few bits and pieces showing I, too, live at the address should be sufficient.

Scouse.

Hi Chainat, i'm in the same boat as you and i am keeping hold of absolutely everything that has the Mrs name on it that links her and shows that she is living at our address. I beleive you can't have too much evidence but i know people who have had not enough.

Good luck

MrBoJ

Thanks for that Mr BoJ

Do you know if you will apply in person or by post yet ? I hear post can take 4 months !

Do you know where the offices are where you can apply ? (Only London ?)

Cheers

C1

Do you know where the offices are where you can apply ? (Only London ?)

Off the top of my head, you can arrange in-person appointments at Croydon, Birmingham (Solihull), Liverpool :o and Glasgow.

Scouse.

Hi Scouse, i read somewhere on here, there is an office in Hull as well. Does anyone know if that's true or not?

There's a Thai consualte in Hull, but not a Home Office outpost. When you're missus applys for her ILR, you'll have to do it in Liverpool. Then whilst she's doing the hard bit, we can go for a few scoops in the boozer next door.

Scouse.

That, to me my friend, is a most excellent plan indeed :D:D

P.S. Yeah, got confused with the Thai consulate and Home Office outposts :o

Is it difficult to obtain a british passport for a thai?

There are no catches, if that's what you mean. If you fit the criteria, then you qualify for naturalisation.

There are now two additional components, though. The applicant has to show that they are competent in English at or beyond ESOL entry level 3 and, as Rio said, have knowledge of life in the UK. If an applicant passes an ESOL entry level 3 course combined with Skills for Life, then they don't need to sit the test that Rio mentioned.

So, to answer your question, it will take some effort on the part of a Thai as, generally speaking, they will have to regularly attended a college to get their qualification, but legally speaking, no it's not difficult.

Also bear in mind that the above process refers to naturalisation as a British citizen. Once naturalised, the applicant then has to apply for a passport using the naturalisation certificate as proof of their entitlement to British citizenship.

Scouse.

Is it difficult to obtain a british passport for a thai?

There are no catches, if that's what you mean. If you fit the criteria, then you qualify for naturalisation.

There are now two additional components, though. The applicant has to show that they are competent in English at or beyond ESOL entry level 3 and, as Rio said, have knowledge of life in the UK. If an applicant passes an ESOL entry level 3 course combined with Skills for Life, then they don't need to sit the test that Rio mentioned.

So, to answer your question, it will take some effort on the part of a Thai as, generally speaking, they will have to regularly attended a college to get their qualification, but legally speaking, no it's not difficult.

Also bear in mind that the above process refers to naturalisation as a British citizen. Once naturalised, the applicant then has to apply for a passport using the naturalisation certificate as proof of their entitlement to British citizenship.

Scouse.

Cheers Scouse

Can they take the ESOL entry level 3 course any time ?

C1