Apple Repair On Samui

There's a shop opposite the Mae Nam post office, the lad in there is very good, and understands Apple products, he will open it up for 250/500 baht have look and if he can't sort it, he will send it to Apple Phuket for you to have the motherboard replaced. He uses Apple himself, nice lad and knows his stuff. If it needs to be sent to Apple Phuket, I'd also use him to send it rather than sending it yourself, he will make sure it is handled with care.

There's a shop opposite the Mae Nam post office, the lad in there is very good, and understands Apple products, he will open it up for 250/500 baht have look and if he can't sort it, he will send it to Apple Phuket for you to have the motherboard replaced. He uses Apple himself, nice lad and knows his stuff. If it needs to be sent to Apple Phuket, I'd also use him to send it rather than sending it yourself, he will make sure it is handled with care.

Thanks! Is the shop an "Apple Authorized Service Provider" ???

No, I think on Samui you only have "authorized dealers" and that is in name only. They hardly do the Apple brand any favors, just do a search on Samui TV forum for comments. Likewise for other computer shops, service and care factor seems to be minimal.

That's also why he'd send it to Phuket if necessary.

We use apples and I thought i needed a new video card in one of them, he tightened a few screws on a loose usb and it was sorted.

I'd recommend going in and having a chat see what you think.

No, I think on Samui you only have "authorized dealers" and that is in name only. They hardly do the Apple brand any favors, just do a search on Samui TV forum for comments. Likewise for other computer shops, service and care factor seems to be minimal.

That's also why he'd send it to Phuket if necessary.

We use apples and I thought i needed a new video card in one of them, he tightened a few screws on a loose usb and it was sorted.

I'd recommend going in and having a chat see what you think.

I'll be there tomorrow...

Have droped the Macbook on the recommended place, explicitly pointed to the still existing warranty and the prefered repair location Bangkok. The guy told me, that Phuket is just as good, but he will check it, before sending it to any place. Got a repair card with casenumber. When shipped it will take about 10 days until the macbook is back again. I feel not quite comfortable given the Mac out of hand, but because I see no alternative... Will keep you informed...

Edited by albhol

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I got my MacBook back.

The repair was running on Apple warranty - was told me...

The repair time was 14 days, so within the range expected from me.

The service was friendly and I am satisfied with the calculated 800 THB.

Strangely, I got no service report.

A modified SMC-version was visible in the system information.

Anyway, I'm happy to hold my fully functional MACBook in my hands!

Ok peeps.....

.i have discovered the main man,to help all us mac freaks....from iphones to macs...hes da man..!.....he trained as a mac technician in Bangkok for 2 years,hes just unlocked 3 iphone 4s for me etc etc.....his name is Boy,...his shop is situated opposite the dog shop near to mackro...it has a orange sign box saying N NET.....ya cant miss it....say an englishman sent ya,i said id help his business.....good luck.