New Ford Ranger Advertising Campaign In Thailand...

funcat

Living here for a number of years,I've noticed that brands like Toyota and Isuzu are pretty solid leaders in sales,also on the second hand market.

The New Ranger is a breakthrough track thou,so how the Ford is going to improve they rankings here in Thailand? All of us who are buying the Ranger now will probably like the second hand value of the Ford improve in the nearest future...

Besides the usual TV and magazines commercials what else is there to offer ?...Internet,youtube..but how about the live sponsored promotion events ? Last year I've noticed (here in CM)Toyota and Honda doing the motor sport competitions.That must cost a lot to the sponsors...is Ford doing something like that also?

At this stage, it would appear Ford's strategy is focussed towards online, and dealer network expansion

Here's the top 3 ranking automotive related websites in TH (which between them attract approx 1.5M pageviews/month):

http://auto.sanook.com/

http://www.autospinn.com/

http://www.headlightmag.com/

What do you see when you visit these? :)

Ten-twelve years ago Isuzu probably had 70% of the pick-up market here, what did Toyota do? Built a better product and "expanded their dealer network".

My favorite sales chart graphed motorcycle sales in Thailand by brand. As I remember, at the start of the graph, all four players had market share within five points of each other. Graph showed where Honda introduces a 4-cycle, and two years later they had almost 80% of the market.

The way I've found out about the new tracks coming was just by driving and seeing lots of banners plastered all over the city about new Chevy...I haven't been on the market for a new track at that time (Sept/Oct'11),but "what a heck" lets go and see what's new...in a boring city like CM any event is noticeable.

Normally you will see some cars at the mini shows in supermarkets and malls...but this was something different a "big" show with many tracks,different models and colors...one can not only see them,touch them,but test drive as well....only after that I've found the Motor TV trying to find more informations about it...and than a surprise ! It's not only Chevy which will be available soon (!),but also Ford,Mazda etc...and thanks MRO,you "converted" me to the Ranger and I'm still with it...but I've never seen the Ford attempting "the great Thailand tour" to promote their product(except for something in CR),so even the common farmer could see it (they normally don't use the Internet)...so,I just wonder,if the Ford has still something "up the sleeve" to promote the Ranger "in live",or the Internet will be "just enough"....and how long will it take to get the recognition ?? I still was not able to see all the colors of the available tracks now in person,so more waiting....

It's early days yet funcat - the Ranger is still is only in "pre-launch". Wait for April'ish when it's ready for it's full, proper launch and I'm sure you'll see more marketing excercises happening.

That's the news I wanted to hear...so I've heard somebody saying,that Toyota is the best,they don't even need to advertised in Th....hmmm,so what's better Coke,or Pepsi...don't see them stopping advertising...

Drove past the Ford, Chiang Mai dealer today - no Rangers on display out front. I've only seen one out on the roads in CM since launch. Why do dealers take phone numbers of potential customers, & never make a follow up call? We gave my wife's number so that language wouldn't be a problem. And where are those Wildtraks?

Hi to all.Can anybody tell me a good reliable FORD service center.We need a 10,000KM service soon and I'm worried .The shop we bought it from is opposite Seacon square in Samutprakan Bang Na.Although they are very polite and try to be helpful,every time we take our car there to get something done(amazing at less than 10,000KM)They miss something or break something else.Story of problems is too long to put on this page.

We are happy to go anyplace in Thai as I'm retired and have nothing else to do

Cheers Cobbler

Drove past the Ford, Chiang Mai dealer today - no Rangers on display out front. I've only seen one out on the roads in CM since launch. Why do dealers take phone numbers of potential customers, & never make a follow up call? We gave my wife's number so that language wouldn't be a problem. And where are those Wildtraks?

Where did you go?...the new one (still under construction) at the Mae Jo Rd had a 2dr in Gold up front and 4dr Gunmetal Blue in the back.I just wished they'll finish the construction soon...hope to see more of them big like this one coming and maybe they will improve the service as well...

Where did you go?...the new one (still under construction) at the Mae Jo Rd had a 2dr in Gold up front and 4dr Gunmetal Blue in the back.I just wished they'll finish the construction soon...hope to see more of them big like this one coming and maybe they will improve the service as well...

That's the one I drove past yesterday afternoon - didn't stop, but nothing out front to "advertise" the new model. They were both out front a couple of weeks ago, when you posted the photos.

The four P in marketing

Place

Product

Promotion

Price

Ford and Mazda is focusing on Product, better spec than the lot

Toyota on Place (number of dealers) and Promotion(ads)

every car interested Th I talk with knows very well to new top end pickups are the best, Ranger and BT50. No ads needed

Appears Vigo is going to be knocked off it's perch with new upto date models from other makes.

Window dressing what is essentially at least a 6 year old vehicle has caught up. Same applies to the Vios. Both have been exceptionally popular, but are now dated.

No doubt your aware the new Ford and Mazda pickups are exactly the same vehicle, just different front ends and tweaks in dynamics and interiors.

I've also been surprised how many Ford Fiestas I see on the roads.

Seems Ford are getting their act together.

I never though I would say this about a Ford....."I quite like the look of it". ohmy.png

Pity they only have a pissy 2.2 engine. sad.png

Pissy compared to what?

every car interested Th I talk with knows very well to new top end pickups are the best, Ranger and BT50. No ads needed

Yes. Proof positive that the internet finally has come of age in TH.

Appears Vigo is going to be knocked off it's perch with new upto date models from other makes.

Toyota still have the biggest dealer network, are the most trusted brand, and they still have a few tricks up their sleeve too. I expect the VIGO minro change we'll see later this year will give them a decent bounce-back in the market.. All it takes is the mechanical updates already discussed, a couple of cheap features for the hig-end models, and some competitive pricing for them to maintain position. The days of 40%+ market share for any one brand in the pickup segment are very soon to be over for good though.

It will be good to see some stats on that for now and,lets say in a few months,years....but now it looks like a slow start.I was told,that I could expect my XLT by 15th of Dec....it's well past that date and I already had to buy a second hand car to fill the gap.Credibility is important in business...that's why I thing strong advertising campaign is very important,specially if introducing the new product...

I think Isuzu has the biggest deler network.

Depends how you count it - if you count in the sales-only sub-branches Isuzu has, then they would just edge out Toyota, but if counting actual proper dealerships (and not their sub branches & shopping centre displays), Toyota is in front.

It will be good to see some stats on that for now and,lets say in a few months,years....but now it looks like a slow start.I was told,that I could expect my XLT by 15th of Dec....it's well past that date and I already had to buy a second hand car to fill the gap.Credibility is important in business...that's why I thing strong advertising campaign is very important,specially if introducing the new product...

Why would they produce a strong advertising campaign when they can't currently satisfy demand?

What they really need to do is improve the quality of service offered by their staff. My experience was not good. Neither is yours due to the staff not knowing when the product was coming (or, perhaps, a mis-communication).

Why would they produce a strong advertising campaign when they can't currently satisfy demand?

What they really need to do is improve the quality of service offered by their staff. My experience was not good. Neither is yours due to the staff not knowing when the product was coming (or, perhaps, a mis-communication).

I agree about the service, but will the mazda service be better? I have experience with neither company. I would expect mazda service to be better - they seem to sell a lot on M2 and M3 sedans - it could be a decider for me if I could get over the exterior looks of the bt-50, but need to see it in the flesh. Additionally ford will soon need to get a lower spec 3.2 on board - like in xlt form but also have a few goodies like in the wildtrak.

I see this "campaign" as a package...it includes Product (cars),Sales (dealerships,advertising,promotions etc.),Service (repair shops) and Resales (second hand market).Off course,there are people who are experts on this subject (and they probably laughing about now on my analysis),so this is the question for them how is Ford going to do it ?

So far we can see a Product...and as MRO said before,it is an early stage now,so maybe we need to be patience a little,but they are already selling...

About 8 years ago,when I was looking for a new track,I've spend time and test drive all of the potential candidates and the result was easy-Toyota...but now it is a little more complicated...more product to choose from and my mind is set on the Ranger,but again this is a Product ,I want to know how they gonna develop the rest of the "campaign" structure...just little concern about the "mai pen dri" attitude...(if you know what I mean)

In 2004 I ordered the new Vigo in Phuket on launch day. 2 months delivery. 2 months later I was told I was #40 in the top of the line que, and they got 6 each month. Told me to wait one month. I didnt, I went fishing, and found one with my spec in Petchbury. Picked it up december 24th. Needless to say, when I wanted a new one in 2006, I didnt bother with Toyota Phuket, and found one in BKK

Ford has as the others been hit by the floodings during their marketintroduction in TH. I didnt get my spec Ranger in December. To compensate they offered me a XLT 4door in black December 17th. Fair enough, I didnt want it.

I have no previous personal experience with neither Ford or Mazda. However by impulse I dropped by Mazda Phuket mid December, and bought a Mazda2. Clean straight deal, no fuss, picked up 2 days later. Got a postcard yesterday stating my new white plate number, please come and swap plates. A good start

Hi to all.Can anybody tell me a good reliable FORD service center.We need a 10,000KM service soon and I'm worried .The shop we bought it from is opposite Seacon square in Samutprakan Bang Na.Although they are very polite and try to be helpful,every time we take our car there to get something done(amazing at less than 10,000KM)They miss something or break something else.Story of problems is too long to put on this page.

We are happy to go anyplace in Thai as I'm retired and have nothing else to do

Cheers Cobbler

No direct experience but at the Volvo/Ford/VW dealer on Sukhumvit 71 near Rama IX, the workshop is always busy.

Launching stuff is close to my area of work.

Basically, with cars, you have to follow a few concepts in marketing; 4Ps is one way to look in terms of day to day; simutaneously you need to look at 'moments of truth' (MOT) the moments in time when people are going to be looking to purchase a car or experience a critical incident that will influence their perception thereafter, and insert your brand/product in at that time in a favourable way. Being that cars are a lifetime relationship for the most part (you buy again and again) a smart brand builds a long term relationship with their client base, using trade ins, service, etc ensuring that the maximum LTV (lifetime value) of each client is extracted and minimising churn (customer switching brands). I am sure the BSI & balloon leasing approaches of BMW do a good job not only of targeting the perception that the Beemer is unreliable, but also helps to ensure a strong positive relationship and easier step to getting people to trade in to the new model every few years.

In the case of moments of truth, most people have at some point experienced either a major car failure where the service network and costs are tested; a brand passing this point thus locks in their client when the next MOT comes up to buy; or, a fantastic service experience where you thank your lucky stars you have that company's car and not someone else; you don't forget the lousy service of 6 month wait or 400,000b 3 month wait incident with a brand.

For Ford this makes life tough; as a marketer its a lot harder to increase market share from a lower position; advertising PR etc all works best with people already invested in that brand (if you own a ford for instance, you will tend to notice and pay attention to Ford advertising more than someone who doesn't, tested in many many academic studies the world over). If you own a Toyota the first thing that you will look at when you trade in...is probably another Toyota...unless some MOT means you specifically don't. I'll not explain the concepts of service quality but they also play a role and in marketing science are well documented.

So IMHO what Ford seem to be doing whether by good fortune or accident is to disrupt the market enough here in Thailand by simultaneously:

- getting out of step with some other brands in terms of refreshing new models etc (now out of step with Toyota in the pick ups) so they can get a compare brand new with facelift

- increasing their range

- increasing their dealer network

- they seem to be fairly aggressive on price/features

The barriers they face are general low profile and some of the moments of truth stacked against them from the past; average models in the past, high depreciation, lack of dealer networks and also the strong/weak effect of marketing with brands where the dominant brands can do the same spend as them which is a lower cost % proportion of sales for the dominant brand anyhow, and yet acheive a better result from their marketing dollar/baht dollar for dollar.

I believe the approach they have taken with the Ranger (either through stupidity, poor planning or deviousness) of claiming to have a car ready to deliver in mid 2011...then Nov 2011....then Feb 2012...then April 2012....then not April 2012 (I've been told that to my face) but at some point thereafter...is either marketing genius or a bit of a misstep.

However, the reality now is the fiesta is widely considered to be a great car and fortunately for Ford the government policy to favour the 1.5 isn't really clear/logical; the Ranger is widely considered to be a serious competitor to the Isuzu/GM and Toyota (who are out of step now still pushing the older Vigo); they have new models coming in later this year which will keep their momentum going.

For me, I am close to pulling the trigger on a Golf GTI instead of the Ranger wildtrack 3.2 and may yet still get another pick up of the mid level variety; I still think it's a great car...but less sure as always whether they know how to run a car company from the customer side yet (they certainly know it from the production side with great range of vehicles).

Basically, with cars, you have to follow a few concepts in marketing; 4Ps is one way to look in terms of day to day; simutaneously you need to look at 'moments of truth' (MOT) the moments in time when people are going to be looking to purchase a car or experience a critical incident that will influence their perception thereafter, and insert your brand/product in at that time in a favourable way. Being that cars are a lifetime relationship for the most part (you buy again and again) a smart brand builds a long term relationship with their client base, using trade ins, service, etc ensuring that the maximum LTV (lifetime value) of each client is extracted and minimising churn (customer switching brands). I am sure the BSI & balloon leasing approaches of BMW do a good job not only of targeting the perception that the Beemer is unreliable, but also helps to ensure a strong positive relationship and easier step to getting people to trade in to the new model every few years.

In the case of moments of truth, most people have at some point experienced either a major car failure where the service network and costs are tested; a brand passing this point thus locks in their client when the next MOT comes up to buy; or, a fantastic service experience where you thank your lucky stars you have that company's car and not someone else; you don't forget the lousy service of 6 month wait or 400,000b 3 month wait incident with a brand.

For Ford this makes life tough; as a marketer its a lot harder to increase market share from a lower position; advertising PR etc all works best with people already invested in that brand (if you own a ford for instance, you will tend to notice and pay attention to Ford advertising more than someone who doesn't, tested in many many academic studies the world over). If you own a Toyota the first thing that you will look at when you trade in...is probably another Toyota...unless some MOT means you specifically don't. I'll not explain the concepts of service quality but they also play a role and in marketing science are well documented.

So IMHO what Ford seem to be doing whether by good fortune or accident is to disrupt the market enough here in Thailand by simultaneously:

- getting out of step with some other brands in terms of refreshing new models etc (now out of step with Toyota in the pick ups) so they can get a compare brand new with facelift

- increasing their range

The barriers they face are general low profile and some of the moments of truth stacked against them from the past; average models in the past, high depreciation, lack of dealer networks and also the strong/weak effect of marketing with brands where the dominant brands can do the same spend as them which is a lower cost % proportion of sales for the dominant brand anyhow, and yet acheive a better result from their marketing dollar/baht dollar for dollar.

I believe the approach they have taken with the Ranger (either through stupidity, poor planning or deviousness) of claiming to have a car ready to deliver in mid 2011...then Nov 2011....then Feb 2012...then April 2012....then not April 2012 (I've been told that to my face) but at some point thereafter...is either marketing genius or a bit of a misstep.

However, the reality now is the fiesta is widely considered to be a great car and fortunately for Ford the government policy to favour the 1.5 isn't really clear/logical; the Ranger is widely considered to be a serious competitor to the Isuzu/GM and Toyota (who are out of step now still pushing the older Vigo); they have new models coming in later this year which will keep their momentum going.

For me, I am close to pulling the trigger on a Golf GTI instead of the Ranger wildtrack 3.2 and may yet still get another pick up of the mid level variety; I still think it's a great car...but less sure as always whether they know how to run a car company from the customer side yet (they certainly know it from the production side with great range of vehicles).

Great post Stevo...this is pretty much what concerns me in the way how to see the future with Ford and I don't mean Ford in general,because they are doing OK in other parts of the world,but Ford in TH...I was a Toyota customer when it comes to tracks,but I finally got tired of looking at the same staff and hearing the same answers...somebody have to get a stick out of their as..es..sorry...I just hope that Ford in TH will take it seriously and go beyond just how many units they can sell...and what's come after,we'll see..NO! I want to know if they are capable of decent service with the customer satisfaction guaranteed giggle.gif ..

- increasing their range

The problem with all this is 1) Most Thai car buyers in this price range have never actually bought a car before. 2) Ford has had such little market penetration in TH the past couple of decades that previous owner experience is almost statistically meaningless.

IMHO, a 'clean slate' is probably a better starting point for them though, given the way the mass-market vehicles have vastly improved in just the past few years alone. i.e. Ford are not having to explain why previous models were so noisy, or so uneconomical, or why they had such poor safety, or indeed why they ended up the service department so reguarly, or why everyone around them laughed, jeered, or told them they got a bad deal, nor are they having to explain why they got such a crappy trade-in price when it was time for the next one.

Every other well established brand has one or more of these to answer for..

On top of this, we have the internet, now yours anywhere in Thailand for 199B/month, which is empowering the younger generations with the ability to research, learn and understand things like never before. The people they'd traditionally take 'wisdom' from just can't compete with it, especially given the frequency and in many cases, absurdity, of the 'old wives tales' that get around here...

Never before in Thailand has the marketing machine been able to wield this kind of power..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

- increasing their range

The problem with all this is 1) Most Thai car buyers in this price range have never actually bought a car before. 2) Ford has had such little market penetration in TH the past couple of decades that previous owner experience is almost statistically meaningless.

IMHO, a 'clean slate' is probably a better starting point for them though, given the way the mass-market vehicles have vastly improved in just the past few years alone. i.e. Ford are not having to explain why previous models were so noisy, or so uneconomical, or why they had such poor safety, or indeed why they ended up the service department so reguarly, or why everyone around them laughed, jeered, or told them they got a bad deal, nor are they having to explain why they got such a crappy trade-in price when it was time for the next one.

Every other well established brand has one or more of these to answer for..

On top of this, we have the internet, now yours anywhere in Thailand for 199B/month, which is empowering the younger generations with the ability to research, learn and understand things like never before. The people they'd traditionally take 'wisdom' from just can't compete with it, especially given the frequency and in many cases, absurdity, of the 'old wives tales' that get around here...

Never before in Thailand has the marketing machine been able to wield this kind of power..

MRO,do you really think that Internet alone can change the image of some "bad behavior" from the past..??...well,I hope so!!...and I see some good start already,the Ford CM is building a new facility and it's all gonna look like the "others" at least...hope,with a bit of imagination,they can hire some good mechanics as well...I'll stick with Ford,as long as they will keep me satisfied with the good service! After all it is not that hard,just copy the guys from the West wink.png