Visa To Uk - Advice Please

Hi fellas, there's some great advice on here and I've learned quite a bit just reading the threads, so thanks to all who have posted. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with regards to the following;

I live and work here in Thailand. I've been with my wife for 7 years although only just got married last October (4 months). My wife's daughter is 10 years old and she lives with us too. I'm about to apply for both of them to go to the UK with me for a holiday in April to see my parents, whom they haven't met yet..Can I ask if anyone has any previous experience with taking a 'stepdaughter' and if we should be applying for a "family visit" type visa or just a general visitor? I am told (by a guy in a pub) that we have to make two separate applications for visas too, in which case do I need to be providing 2 lots of supporting documentation i.e showing evidence that I have known my stepdaughter for 7 years too? etc.

Sorry I know this all probably seems like a dumb question, I'm just trying to get my head around it all and would really appreciate any pointers

i am doing mine now with the exact same circumstances(ish). if you go to here then you can see that family visitor includes stepdaughter. Yes you need to apply twice but as i take it because you will make two appointments to hand in docs next to each other they will be kept together because they are travelling together/mother and daughter. only make one supporting document pile and refer to both of them in it. refer to what you have done. make it intuitive and easy for the ECO to figure and you wont have a problem. i should be handing mine in within the next week or so maybe i will up date on how fast turn around is if you like?