Kanchanaburi Golf

bartpix

I would like to know if anyone has played 4 courses over 4 days in Kanchanaburi with a 3 night stay ( in different accomodation presumably) and if so, which are:

1. Best courses around Kanchanaburi.

2. Best accomodation ( Clean + Reasonable) to suit.

Thanx in advance.

In response to your question, a group of us go up to Kanchanaburi about 4 times a year , staying 3 nights at the 'Ploy Guest house' which is located on the riverside. Nice and clean and cost about 900 Baht per night for a double room with en-suite. The rooms are basic but adequate and close to local restaurants/bars etc - 'The Green Fog' is one we would recommend, some 4 minutes walk from the Ploy - how they sell the food; which is very good, for the prices that they charge I don't know ! A great English breakfast can be had at Rob's place some 70 yards (from the Ploy) away on the opposite side of the road going towards the Green Frog. Forgotten the name of this place, but if you want more info just PM me and I can give you telephone number. Rob is very helpful and will give you advice re what the conditions of the local courses are like etc and has even organised games for us - nice guy always willing to help.

Courses to play:-

Evergreen Hills golf club www.evergrenhillsgolfcourse.com,

Nichigo Resort and country club 3 x 9 holes www.nichigoresortcc.com

Uniland Golf and country club. Military club with very good facilities.

Blue Sapphire 4 x 9 holes and more to come. This in my opinion is one of the toughest courses in the area and we have only played the so called 'easiest 18' as yet, the A+B. Great variations in shape of holes and you really have to play with great accuracy to score well here. Again very hilly, with some very long walks between the tees, so most people take a buggy, but I enjoy the walk. This course, as the name implies, is built around the 'Sapphire mining' excavations in the area and is actually owned by the Mining company.

Mida golf Club www.midagolfclubkanchanabuiri.com. This is (I believe) Korean owned and they have, and are still spending an awful lot of money on the course/facilities. This is the only golf course where I have come across lockers that are operated by a 'swipe card' - how posh can you get? Like Evergreen always in great condition when we have played.

Srinagarind Dam golf & Resort

There are many more courses around the area but we haven't played them yet.

The Srinagarind Dam course is about one hours drive north from Kanchanaburi on the main highway with some fabulous views of the mountains and the dam. A great course to take on -very, very mountainous with some par 3's where you have NO OPT OUT, hit the green or say BYE BYE GOLF BALL- buggy advised if not essential ( I don't use buggies unless I have to, but here YES). If I remember correctly the green fee here was less than 600 Baht including caddy fee. The actual condition of the fairways and greens are not that great, but what a hell of a course - EVERYONE who played it agreed that we would definitely go back again on the next trip, we enjoyed the challenge so much!

All of the above courses will give you a great day out.

I don't know where you are located, so it is impossible to advise which course(s) to play on the way up or down to Kanchanaburi, but obviously you can sort this out yourselves.

If you have to play only 3 courses then I would suggest - Evergreen, Blue Sapphire, and Mida. If you want something completely different then do play Srinagarind (This one just for the hell of it). Nichigo is reputedly listed as one of the 'top 5 courses in Asia' and is a great venue, but we have found the course conditions to have deteriorated; but maybe they have again improved - ask Rob for his opinion on this.

Have a great trip and give my regards to Rob when you have the 'Full English'; this will set you up for the days golf.

In response to your question, a group of us go up to Kanchanaburi about 4 times a year , staying 3 nights at the 'Ploy Guest house' which is located on the riverside. Nice and clean and cost about 900 Baht per night for a double room with en-suite. The rooms are basic but adequate and close to local restaurants/bars etc - 'The Green Fog' is one we would recommend, some 4 minutes walk from the Ploy - how they sell the food; which is very good, for the prices that they charge I don't know ! A great English breakfast can be had at Rob's place some 70 yards (from the Ploy) away on the opposite side of the road going towards the Green Frog. Forgotten the name of this place, but if you want more info just PM me and I can give you telephone number. Rob is very helpful and will give you advice re what the conditions of the local courses are like etc and has even organised games for us - nice guy always willing to help.

Courses to play:-

Evergreen Hills golf club www.evergrenhillsgolfcourse.com,

Nichigo Resort and country club 3 x 9 holes www.nichigoresortcc.com

Uniland Golf and country club. Military club with very good facilities.

Blue Sapphire 4 x 9 holes and more to come. This in my opinion is one of the toughest courses in the area and we have only played the so called 'easiest 18' as yet, the A+B. Great variations in shape of holes and you really have to play with great accuracy to score well here. Again very hilly, with some very long walks between the tees, so most people take a buggy, but I enjoy the walk. This course, as the name implies, is built around the 'Sapphire mining' excavations in the area and is actually owned by the Mining company.

Mida golf Club www.midagolfclubkanchanabuiri.com. This is (I believe) Korean owned and they have, and are still spending an awful lot of money on the course/facilities. This is the only golf course where I have come across lockers that are operated by a 'swipe card' - how posh can you get? Like Evergreen always in great condition when we have played.

Srinagarind Dam golf & Resort

There are many more courses around the area but we haven't played them yet.

The Srinagarind Dam course is about one hours drive north from Kanchanaburi on the main highway with some fabulous views of the mountains and the dam. A great course to take on -very, very mountainous with some par 3's where you have NO OPT OUT, hit the green or say BYE BYE GOLF BALL- buggy advised if not essential ( I don't use buggies unless I have to, but here YES). If I remember correctly the green fee here was less than 600 Baht including caddy fee. The actual condition of the fairways and greens are not that great, but what a hell of a course - EVERYONE who played it agreed that we would definitely go back again on the next trip, we enjoyed the challenge so much!

All of the above courses will give you a great day out.

I don't know where you are located, so it is impossible to advise which course(s) to play on the way up or down to Kanchanaburi, but obviously you can sort this out yourselves.

If you have to play only 3 courses then I would suggest - Evergreen, Blue Sapphire, and Mida. If you want something completely different then do play Srinagarind (This one just for the hell of it). Nichigo is reputedly listed as one of the 'top 5 courses in Asia' and is a great venue, but we have found the course conditions to have deteriorated; but maybe they have again improved - ask Rob for his opinion on this.

Have a great trip and give my regards to Rob when you have the 'Full English'; this will set you up for the days golf.

What a fantastic reply to the OP, all this info pushes me to get off my arse and get golfing @ Kanchanaburi also...thanks from me also!!!

Many Thanks Cheshiremusicman for your reply.

Terrific info and lots of detail.

Thanks again.

Glad to be of help. I will be asking the same question re golf in Pattaya shortly, as I have not stayed there and wish to go over on a golfing trip for about 10 days, so any info re where to stay and what you consider to be the best courses to play would be most appreciated.

Maybe have a look at my post of last Nov. Evergreen Hills are still doing a play-stay-play for 2600 Baht. Mida is a nice course but they now have high season prices and as a non thai you will pay a little extra ... locker facilities are great there.

"Glad to be of help. I will be asking the same question re golf in Pattaya shortly, as I have not stayed there and wish to go over on a golfing trip for about 10 days, so any info re where to stay and what you consider to be the best courses to play would be most appreciated."

Will you have your own transport?

Do you like to be in the thick of things or prefer quiet location?

Would you prefer to play with a group or you will have your own group?

Look at the Pattaya Sports Club site (www.pattayasports.org) as joining this club (Baht 400 for 1 year, I think) gives you reduced rates at most of the surrounding courses and pays for itself within 2-3 games.

"Glad to be of help. I will be asking the same question re golf in Pattaya shortly, as I have not stayed there and wish to go over on a golfing trip for about 10 days, so any info re where to stay and what you consider to be the best courses to play would be most appreciated."

Will you have your own transport?

Do you like to be in the thick of things or prefer quiet location?

Would you prefer to play with a group or you will have your own group?

Look at the Pattaya Sports Club site (www.pattayasports.org) as joining this club (Baht 400 for 1 year, I think) gives you reduced rates at most of the surrounding courses and pays for itself within 2-3 games.

I intend to go over to Pattaya on my own and will have my own transport for about 10 days towards the end of Feb or early March. I have a friend who lives in Pattaya and hope to have a few games with him whilst I am there. I don't really mind where I stay ( not looking for 4/5 star hotel facilities) as long as it is clean and comfortable, but I would prefer somewhere that is reasonably quiet so that I can get some sleep when I want it. I do NOT know Pattaya, so would you advise staying outside of the centre , which I believe is Soi's 1 to 6 area. I will be parking my car up at night and using local transport tuk-tuk etc. I'm into all kinds of food of various nationalities and am told that Pattaya has plenty of very good places to eat.

I'm a rough 12 handicapper aged 68, but still very fit and as I have said previously I do NOT like using buggies, but I see that on lots of the courses they are mandatory - so I will have no choice but to use them.

I live over in the Hua-Hin area and if anybody is coming over, I would be happy to arrange a game with them as I am a member of two of the clubs Springfield and Lake-view. If anybody over in the Pattaya area needs an extra body to make up a game I would be very happy to meet up with you. If you PM me I can give you some firm dates in a day or so.

Happy golfing to all my golfing friends out there.