One-Way Flight On Tourist To Thailand.Possible?

I am currently on a tourist visa. I plan to go back to Ireland for about 6weeks and then return to Thailand as a tourist. I would like to know if I can book a one-way flight to Thailand as a tourist and not have to show a departure date. Do I need to get a tourist vias from the Thai Consulate in Ireland to do this? or can I arrive with no visa and get the 30day stamp? Thanks guys and advice would be appreciated.

I got stopped by the airline in the US in 2010. This was at the check-in counter, flight in 2 hours! I had to buy a refundable one way back ticket. I refunded it so no problem but it was a hassle and I really got caught off guard. A chap suggested buying an Asia Air ticket to Cambo or somewhere else close by, should be under $ 100 USD one way.

long haul flights they have always asked about my visa, local ones they don't care so much.

is your flight direct into thailand ?

even if you do get a visa you can always choose to use the 30 days one instead and save the thai visa for the future.

as mentionad you can also book a cheap flight out of thailand with in 30 days .

Without a visa the airline can refuse you if you don't have a ticket out within 30 days, with a tourist visa there is no requirement to have a ticket out of Thailand.

Get a tourist visa.

It does not mean that with a tourist visa, you will be allowed to board the plane at the embarkation point if you do NOThave a return ticket or at least a ticket out of Thailand. The airlilne will be held responsible if you overstayed (and esp have problems) and they usually rather not take the risk. So amnyone who has managed to get in without a ticket out is just plsin lucky. Don't count on it.

What you can do if you have a ticketing agent (not the online type) is to hve 2 separate booklngs (1 inbound & 1 outbound). You can ask them to do a ticket booking for your return flight on the date yr Toursit Visa expires. Since no tcket was issued, you should not have to pay for that ticket unless you want to confirm it. This method is even advised to me by the Royal Thai Embassy in Manila when I flew my mother-in-law here on a Tourist Visa. I will not consume that ticket booking as I intend to extend her stay. I actuially got my company's travel agent to help me on that as I had already bought a 1-way ticket here for my mum-in-law. and did not want to pay for the return ticket as yet. Of course I plan to go thriugh the agent again whenever it makes sense for my coming (real) ticket bookings.

If you have a Non-O 90-daysVisa then a return ticket is not needed. This is what my family had when we came here.

Edited by thanchart

Im sorry to disturb this topic, but not sure if its worth a new one. What if i would have an option for a work permit as soon as i arrive there. Can i go tho Thailand on Tourist Visa, one-way if i have some proof that i will get a job there? I have to make a marry visa anyway when im there.

long haul flights they have always asked about my visa, local ones they don't care so much.

is your flight direct into thailand ?

even if you do get a visa you can always choose to use the 30 days one instead and save the thai visa for the future.

as mentionad you can also book a cheap flight out of thailand with in 30 days .

Immigration will stamp you in on your tourist visa they will not give you a 30 day visa exempt stamp as you have a visa. They could miss the tourist visa in your passport but do not count on it.

Im sorry to disturb this topic, but not sure if its worth a new one. What if i would have an option for a work permit as soon as i arrive there. Can i go tho Thailand on Tourist Visa, one-way if i have some proof that i will get a job there? I have to make a marry visa anyway when im there.

A WP is not a visa you need a visa or a leaving ticket. If you need to do a marriage extension of stay get a non-o before leaving.

Without a visa the airline can refuse you if you don't have a ticket out within 30 days, with a tourist visa there is no requirement to have a ticket out of Thailand.

Get a tourist visa.

It does not mean that with a tourist visa, you will be allowed to board the plane at the embarkation point if you do NOThave a return ticket or at least a ticket out of Thailand. The airlilne will be held responsible if you overstayed (and esp have problems) and they usually rather not take the risk. So amnyone who has managed to get in without a ticket out is just plsin lucky. Don't count on it.

What you can do if you have a ticketing agent (not the online type) is to hve 2 separate booklngs (1 inbound & 1 outbound). You can ask them to do a ticket booking for your return flight on the date yr Toursit Visa expires. Since no tcket was issued, you should not have to pay for that ticket unless you want to confirm it. This method is even advised to me by the Royal Thai Embassy in Manila when I flew my mother-in-law here on a Tourist Visa. I will not consume that ticket booking as I intend to extend her stay. I actuially got my company's travel agent to help me on that as I had already bought a 1-way ticket here for my mum-in-law. and did not want to pay for the return ticket as yet. Of course I plan to go thriugh the agent again whenever it makes sense for my coming (real) ticket bookings.

If you have a Non-O 90-daysVisa then a return ticket is not needed. This is what my family had when we came here.

With a visa, even a genuine tourist visa, there is no need for a ticket out of the country.

There is no need for onward ticket if you have a visa and no airline is subject to any fine in the event you are not allowed entry if you have a visa. Airline can make up there own rules on who to carry but it is not supported by Thai or IATA regulations. It is only for visa exempt entry that these onward documents come into play. Below is what the airline sees for entry to Thailand:

Visitors who are visa exempt are required to hold documents

for their next destination.

"A WP is not a visa you need a visa or a leaving ticket. If you need to do a marriage extension of stay get a non-o before leaving."

I know that a work permit is not a visa.

Maybe i should be make it more clear, sorry.

My situation is as follows:

- Im in germany at the moment, i dont have a visa for Thailand anymore.

- Im married so i have option to get visa based on marriage, normally

- Im about to get a job in BKK (about to be interviewed, ready to talk about contracts ect)

- At the moment i dont have money on any Thai bank ready for marry visa, since i dont have a bank account of course.

- I dont want to spend for a return ticket because i dont return, as i start a job there.

- Company will pay for work-permit

What can i do to get out of this situaion as cheap as possible? And also as fast as possible, since the company dont want to wait long time.

Thanks alot.

Edit: I see that this is different from the OP, so i make a new topic. hope thats ok.

Edited by Saenchai

It states here you don't need a return ticket - form Aj on the left print it and take to the airport: http://www.thaiconsu...-and-visas.aspx

I presented on check-in with Emirates and had no hassles. Though I was flying first class so I expect they assumed little risk :-)

I fly business, they checked, so I expect they assume risk. So, OP you'd better travel first class !

Alternatively - Follow the given advice: Either obtain a type O visa based on marriage from a local consulate, and apply for your work permit.

OR, obtain a tourist visa from your local consulate (but you cannot apply for a work permit).

Get a tourist visa.

With a visa, even a genuine tourist visa, there is no need for a ticket out of the country.

I specifically discuessed this with the Royal Thai Embassy in Manila, as I was preparing for my mum-in-law's visit (stlll her with us). They reminded me that with a Toursit Visa, prrof of a ticket out still has to been shown. That is when they also told me that a reservation is good enough - not necessary to be confirmed (and thus no paid for). The Check-in counter should be able to see this booking on their System and thus no problems, To not need a ticket out, you will need Non-O visas (whatver the sub-type).

Anything contrary to this, the airline is just taking a risk on you.

The airlilne will be held responsible if you overstayed (and esp have problems) and they usually rather not take the risk. So amnyone who has managed to get in without a ticket out is just plsin lucky. Don't count on it.

An airline will never be held accountable for a person who overstays. That has absolutely nothing to do with the airline. The only reason an airline will refuse boarding is in the case where a person is travelling to Thailand without a visa and the reason for a refusal would be a concern that the person may not gain entry and would have to be flown back at the airline's expense.

I am confused now, this is from mfa website regarding tourist visa.

- Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)

This is from the Thai embassy website in my country regarding tourist visa.

5. Evidence of travel to Thailand such as a copy of e-ticket showing arrival and departure dates for Thailand. If you wish to apply 2 or 3 entries, please note that you must show all flight tickets/e-ticket/or confirmed travel arrangement entering Thailand for every entry. We do not accept airlines staff card or stand by ticket.

I am confused now, this is from mfa website regarding tourist visa.

This is from the Thai embassy website in my country regarding tourist visa.

5. Evidence of travel to Thailand such as a copy of e-ticket showing arrival and departure dates for Thailand. If you wish to apply 2 or 3 entries, please note that you must show all flight tickets/e-ticket/or confirmed travel arrangement entering Thailand for every entry. We do not accept airlines staff card or stand by ticket.

Exactly. This is where the ticket reservation comes in. The booking is reflected in the ticketing sytsem that you have indeed booked a legitimate flight out. Whether u eventually confirmed that ticket iand actually fly is another story.

I doubt the Thai Embassy would advise me to to that if the practice is not acceptable.

Edited by thanchart

The airlilne will be held responsible if you overstayed (and esp have problems) and they usually rather not take the risk. So amnyone who has managed to get in without a ticket out is just plsin lucky. Don't count on it.

An airline will never be held accountable for a person who overstays. That has absolutely nothing to do with the airline. The only reason an airline will refuse boarding is in the case where a person is travelling to Thailand without a visa and the reason for a refusal would be a concern that the person may not gain entry and would have to be flown back at the airline's expense.

Yes you are right. Now I remember thtat I was told that by the counter superivisor when I asked -"the reason for a refusal would be a concern that the person may not gain entry and would have to be flown back at the airline's expense" - literally the same words.

That ticket requirement is made by MFA for the issue of a visa and not by immigration and is up to the Consulate to check or not. There is no ticket requirement for visa entry into Thailand imposed by immigration or normally by airlines (as if any doubt of ability to pay the Consulate would not have issued the visa). Only when traveling without a visa and intending to use visa exempt entry is an outgoing ticket still a requirement.

When I was living in Thailand 10 months a year, I often returned from my US summer job on a one-way ticket...I got shit from airline personnel in the US a few times (NEVER from immigration personnel in Thailand, they clearly don't give a shit) about not having a round-trip ticket, but luckily, I only fly Asian airlines, and the personnel involved were natives of the various countries in which the airlines are based and easily charmed by a reasonably cute farang male, haha...

Yes this is correct, in fact the whole point of a Thai tourist visa is that you can fly in without an onward ticket. This is because people [at least used to] fly to Bangkok specifically to buy air tickets. Whilst its not the case anymore, ~5 or more years ago and before, it used to be that London and Bangkok were hubs for cheap airfares so people went to Bangkok with the intention of buying their onward / regional / etc tickets there.

NOTE: I wish people would stop saying you need a "return" ticket for any visa anywhere, as this is never the case anywhere. If a ticket is ever needed, then it’s an "onward or return" ticket they require, and rarely does it HAVE to be a ticket for air-travel. It’s not like you are a little child who has to go back where you came from when you leave, just out of the country. In any case this is not applicable to Thai tourist visas, although I read they are contemplating a change to this so you may need one in future..?

My friend went into the consulate in Madrid, Spain just 2 weeks ago to get a 60-day visa and one of the requirements was a round trip ticket. The consulate would not accept the application without a ticket to leave Thailand. He bought the way out ticket to Ho Chi Min Vietnam for $75 bucks. Problem resolved. The airline did not ask us for a round trip ticket when leaving Madrid, it was Air China. The immigration at the BKK airport also did not ask us about the ticket. We arrived here 9 days ago.

In the United States all airlines require you purchase a round trip ticket if you are traveling abroad ONLY if you have an american passport.

Returning to BKK from canada after work, canada air refused to check me in.Yep I had no current visa. Woke Mrs boggle up she went to work booked a flight out of thailand for me and faxed it to them at the airport. All good. Just cancelled the booking when I arrived. All you need is to prove you have booked a flight out of Thailand.

Always good to have a current visa. Less hassles. smile.png

I have seen the onward ticket requirement displayed in the rules on the screens at immigration on entry. So do pay attention to the requirement.

But the officers never seem to ask for it.

As stated in posts above, airlines can and do ask for it.

The incidence of this happening is definitely increasing in my opinion.

Even Qatar airways have started to ask for it over the last year.

From above posts the onward ticket is required for tourist visa on entry, and some posts state that you do not need it on entry if you already have a tourist visa.

However when you go apply for a tourist visa in a foreign country check whether it is required for the visa application. I believe that this is the case, some (if not all) overseas embassies require in their rules that you provide onward / return ticket documentation with the tourist visa application.

Penang and Singapore do.

jojo

Here is a list of the documents required to obtain a tourist visa. This is a quote from the MFA website:

2. TOURIST VISA

1. REQUIREMENT

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes .

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- Visa application form completely filled out

- Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

- Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary

It is the responsibility of the Embassy or Consulate to enforce these requirements for issuance of the visa. If you obtain the visa without an onward ticket, or you turn the return ticket back in for refund before travel the airline can not be held responsible because you have in your possessioin a valid entry document issued by a Thai Embassy or Consulate.

However, if you are intending to travel and enter on a 30 day visa exempt entry, you do no posses a valid entry document. Therefore, the Airline will ask for proof of onward travel before allowing you to board as it is a requirement and they will be held responsible to “bring you home” if you are not allowed entry.

What you can do if you have a ticketing agent (not the online type) is to hve 2 separate booklngs (1 inbound & 1 outbound). You can ask them to do a ticket booking for your return flight on the date yr Toursit Visa expires. Since no tcket was issued, you should not have to pay for that ticket unless you want to confirm it. This method is even advised to me by the Royal Thai Embassy in Manila when I flew my mother-in-law here on a Tourist Visa.

Has anyone actually had success with this? I'm doubtful that the airline will play ball here.

Edited by mrdome