Buy Clothes Here Or In England?

sidjameson

Returning to England for a holiday. Its time to really update my clothes. Average western build.

43 years old, I want to make the best of myself.

No desire for brand names, I guess I am on a budget. 1500bt (30 GBP) for jeans, 500 for t shirt, 1000 for shirt, 2000 for shoes etc seems about right.

I am a terrible judge of quality of materials etc so if any one who does can suggest which country is the better bet for the clothes I am looking for I appreciate it.

If Bk is better which place to look? If England same question?

I know I am a retard when it comes to shopping for clothes. I have spent far more time in book shops. :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about England but vs the US the clothes are much better & cheaper in many cases in the US

I am always amazed at the price of good jeans in Thailand & T shirts are not the same quality cotton etc.

Surprising too as I thought most clothes in the US are made in Asia

Maybe they just spec a different quality/material?

But you can feel better quality in clothes/materials & look at things like stitching

Good Luck though as I hate shopping too wink.png

Edited by flying

I would wait till you back to the UK and go to Primark, the quality is better, might get some bargains in Sports World as well.

Quality better at Primark? Are you mad. It's business model is based on youngsters buying it so cheap they don't mind it being destroyed after two washes.

I always buy in the UK, largely because i have long legs and need 34 inch inside. They don't have them in Thailand. Bought a few pairs back in the Jan sales for a song.

No problem

No desire for brand names, I guess I am on a budget. 1500bt (30 GBP) for jeans, 500 for t shirt, 1000 for shirt, 2000 for shoes etc seems about right.

If you don't care about brand names then you can pay 1/3 those prices or even less in Bangkok. Just go someplace like Platinum Fashion Mall (next to Pantip) and you can get everything you need cheap and good quality. Really good deals, and you get big discounts if you buy multiple items. If you need a brand name though it is more expensive than home, but if not you should definitely buy here.

The only thing that might be cheaper in Thailand are Levi's jeans which seem to pretty cheap in the Levi's stores compared to back in the UK.

But apart from that you will spend less and get better quality back in the UK for sure.

I would wait till you back to the UK and go to Primark, the quality is better, might get some bargains in Sports World as well.

Quality better at Primark? Are you mad. It's business model is based on youngsters buying it so cheap they don't mind it being destroyed after two washes.

I always buy in the UK, largely because i have long legs and need 34 inch inside. They don't have them in Thailand. Bought a few pairs back in the Jan sales for a song.

No problem

I think your comment is best offered at New Look. Primark lasts me ok and the colours have not run on what I have bought. The OP should take a look at then make up his own mind on what represents value but it seems like most are suggesting UK over Thailand. I dont suppose any of us are boned up on the latest prices.

Save up for a trip to the US. The best clothes at the best prices anywhere in the world.

Maybe so but not everyone in the world needs XXXXXXL sized clothes..!!!

Irrelevant, US prices (for good quality clothes along with much else) are far cheaper than either the UK or Thailand.

But, the OP is going back to the UK, not the US...

The UK has a far better variety of (hopefully) quality clothes for around the same price or, a bit cheaper the last time I checked.

Its difficult for a Westerner to find 'quality' clothes here at a reasonable price, but it is possible. Albeit, as a female, not underwear that fits....

George at Asda....cheap and good quality for the price. you can order on the net and collect from the store.. or check when each weeks delivery is and get in there...shop every year for underwear, socks ,jeans etc. never spend more than 80 quid

Interesting thread as I'm going back to the UK next month too and haven't been for 6 years.

I'm out of touch about clothes and shopping.

What I need to buy is warm jackets for me, the wife and kids. Some jumpers, scarves, gloves?, and hats. Welly boots maybe and longjohns.

Any suggestions?

I've never heard of Primark.

Even in Primark...what do you thing he is going to get for 30 quid ?...rolleyes.gif

loads in there...t-shirts are 3 quid a go!

Millets for warm clothing (always seem to have a sale on).

M&S for thermals/underwear (lasts well as said above).

UNIQLO for good range of affordable shirts, trousers etc (sort of Primark+1).

Now is a good time to buy in UK, fierce discounting following poor retail sales over Christmas.

If you don't mind giving a '2nd life' to some good quality used clothing, try JJ Market. If you enter the market opposite the park then turn left and go into the covered area on the left, you will find about 200 mtrs of clothing stalls. There's quite a lot of counterfeit brands there, but the second hand stuff is mostly genuine and hardly worn.

If you are prepared to haggle, your budget should be about right.

http://www.bangkok.com/shopping-market/popular-markets.htm

Personally, Marks & Spencers is the only place for me for good quality clothes, COTTON, costs, but, last forever.

Sadly, M&S food does not. How I wish M&S had food shops in Thailand. And yes, M&S offers some indestructible clothes. I can keep a pair of M&S underwear for years. Lifespan of former Carrefour sourced underwear is less than a year. The quality in Thailand for regular clothes available at the malls and the street vendors, is poor. Colours run, seams disintegrate and the weave thread count is minimal leading to shiny pants syndrome.

I am in the UK and I do all my clothes shopping in the UK. Asda and Tesco are doing excellent deals on clothes, and decent quality too. Primark are super cheap however they can wash out too easily ( as mentioned earlier). The best value for money is TK Maxx, they do somE superb deals on branded clothes. I was in recently and they were doing Ted Baker shirts at £15.00, as well as Ralph Lauren and many other brands at around the same price. If your not sure about styling get a lady ( sister? niece? cousin? ) to go with you. They will love that.

I could suggest taking a gf with you but that will end up costing you a fortune as they will start batting their eyelashes when they see some of the designer gear at the right price.

By the way I have taken note of the fact that you are not bothered about designer gear, but why not buy it at these prices? and the quality is far superior to a lot of the cheapo crap out there.

ps I bought a nice pair of Lambretta shoes in TK Maxx for £25.00......their shoe selection is quite limited but you can get some real bargains.

thanks for the ideas, especially the last post. smile.png

I am not against brand names as such, just feel like a <deleted>. A t shirt that is advertising the company that made it it is rather funny.

You might get a very very pleasant surprise if you break the habit of a lifetime and get into some designer gear, especially in Thailand. As ZZ Top sang......" Every Girls Crazy About A Sharp Dressed Man ".........that is so true you will not believe.