Securing Security Bars Over Windows

haveaniceday

Well, some security bars have been delivered and about to be installed, emmm, talk about pig ugly.

It seems to be a necessarily fact of life though.

In asking the guys how they intend to fix them to the walls, they proudly showed me #7 size plastic inserts and some small screws.

It got me thinking, how to best secure these dam_n ugly fire trap things.

Does anyone have any tips, I am thinking at this stage to go grab some dyna bolts and bend ot hammer up the ends, so at least some tooling is required to get the nut off or cut the narrow bars.

Back in Oz they used these one way screws, which if you have a one way screw driver in your back pocket is not overly effective anyway.

post-105147-0-42876200-1328602843_thumb. post-105147-0-78123900-1328602870_thumb.

Fire trap is right! All bedrooms should have hinged, pad-lockable cages. And smoke detectors, jeez. very cheap insurance indeed.

For security, wedge-anchor them to the concrete, largest anchor bolts that'll fit in the cage bracket holes, then spot weld each bolt to its bracket tab. Embedment into concrete - not cement render finish - is critical for real security... and should be per in the anchor bolt installation instructions or the Hilti website's downloadable data. My guess would be 60mm min into concrete. And be careful with 'edge distances' to keep from 'blowing out' the concrete at the anchors. minimum edge distances depend on anchor bolt sizes. Again, go to manf installation directions, or in the absence of these, Hilti's website.

Anyone know where to get one way screws in Thailand?

There really is no answer to that :)

Seriously, never seen any sort of security fixings here. Why not go for the poor man's fix? Use normal crosspoint screws and apply your drill to the recess once tightened. You did say you don't want them to come out :)

• Like 1

Well, I do agree about just drilling the cross head out, but he used counter sunk screws that the head was to small so he put a washer in there to stop them pulling through, result is the head stick out along way anyway, really easy for a pair of vice grips to undo them any way.

I will buy and get sent over some counter sunk one way screws and a tool to remove them at the same time. The fact that these things are not common here, is even more of a reason to use them.

Also, these bars are just so dam_n ugly, I doubt it will be more than a few month till they are replaced, at least on two sides of the house anyway. I really do hate them and I can't see them growing on me. So, there may be 10 X 2m by 1m bars in the classifieds cheap !!! LOL