Thai Food...On A Sandwich!

FreedomDude

Having been raised in the USA, I'm naturally inclined to turn everything into a sandwich. Now, don't get me wrong! I LOVE my Thai grub! But after living here for several years now, I often yearn for the ways of home, where when in doubt as to what to do with a leftover, we put it on sandwich!!

So lately I've been buying my meats from the local grilled meat guy, taking it home, chopping it up a bit and puttin' it between a couple pieces of lightly toasted whole wheat, with some spicy dijon and any veggies I might have around. Mmmm, mmmmm!

I've also put Ga Pow Mu Saap between 2 slices of bread, and that makes a mighty good sandwhich as well.

My next test is gonna be some of those satays with peanut sauce. I think it might work!

Anyone else make Thai food sandwiches?

I've done leftover beef panang sandwiches before that are quite tasty. The satay idea is a good one. Another thing that is nice is to use the sandwich machines to heat up the leftovers and seal the bread into pockets.

I've done leftover beef panang sandwiches before that are quite tasty. The satay idea is a good one. Another thing that is nice is to use the sandwich machines to heat up the leftovers and seal the bread into pockets.

Yum! I'll have to try the beef panang. Sounds good!

You know, I think I'm gonna toast a few pieces of bread before we make our next trip to the nearby Isaan restaurant! Then I'm gonna slap some larb moo between 2 slices. Think I'll get some funny looks??

• Like 1

Yum! I'll have to try the beef panang. Sounds good!

You know, I think I'm gonna toast a few pieces of bread before we make our next trip to the nearby Isaan restaurant! Then I'm gonna slap some larb moo between 2 slices. Think I'll get some funny looks??

I bet you will but it will still taste good. Also, try namtok (name your meat) in a sandwich while you're eating issarn.

I've always thought that larb moo might go well in a sarnie...also moo daeng ain't half bad...with plenty of mayo...

howz about a larb moo taco?...it's already got a nice cilantro garnish...

rip up some fresh corn tortillas an' toss into the gaeng som for a taste treat...

som tam ice cream?...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I've always thought that larb moo might go well in a sarnie...also moo daeng ain't half bad...with plenty of mayo...

howz about a larb moo taco?...it's already got a nice cilantro garnish...

rip up some fresh corn tortillas an' toss into the gaeng som for a taste treat...

som tam ice cream?...

Green Jackfruit curry with chilli sauce between toast is my favourite breakfast.

I suppose som tam ice cream would be ok if it had lots and lots of pra ra??? licklips.gif

them brits they like to eat beans on toast...I wouldn't mind a bit of khao tom moo on toast, served up by my sexy and wickedly smiling thai mother-in-law...

better watch out with the pla ra and the som tam ice cream...might not be half bad as a pla ra and somtam ice cream sundae...

Jules (Samuel L Jackson) from the famous 'hamburger scene' from the film 'Pulp Fiction': 'what's this?'...and the doomed punk sez: 'a Big Kahuna burger...I,I,I mean a Thai Burger....'...Jules: 'a Thai burger! now I like that concept!...(then, dripping with menace) and do they give thai massages at the thai burger place?...' then the 9mms come out and there's blood all over the shop...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I've tried a few Thai food sandwiches that have worked out well. My personal fave that I made was a Nam Tok Sandwich.

Of all I tried, it seemed to work the best with the bread (a warmed French style sandwich roll, with crisped crust).

Try it. Yum.

Phad Gai Prik Thai Dam also was pretty tasty as well, same roll as above, adorned with cilantro.

Phad Prik On Gai was also decent.

Have you seen the deep fried unshelled shrimps/prawns on the street that are deep fried in a mass to come out resembling bits of a bird nest? Slap some between two slices of bread, pour on some of the spicy red stuff, and yumma yumma.

Not sure of the correct name, maybe kung thod???

I've always been dissapointed that Thailand doesn't have a version of the "ban mi" or vietnamese style sandwiches on french bread. I have had them in Laos, Cambodia, I've not been to vietnam but they are obviously very popular there.

I'm sure the colonisation thing has something to do with it, but they are quite tasty.licklips.gif

• Like 1

Thai food works good with mashed potato too, especially nam tok and laap moo. Sometimes if I don't want to make my own I'll get a large mashed potato from KFC and eat it with some gai yang and nam tok moo from a street stall

Edited by DP25

Make me hungry^^ I will try the Nam Tok today

For the vietnamese sandwich, I know a Vietnamese restaurant near Soi Ari which using bread from S&P, not bad at all and cheap, for the Ban Mii, just find a good one on www.cdsandwich.com

dam_n.. I'll go buy some bread now

I've always been dissapointed that Thailand doesn't have a version of the "ban mi" or vietnamese style sandwiches on french bread. I have had them in Laos, Cambodia, I've not been to vietnam but they are obviously very popular there.

I'm sure the colonisation thing has something to do with it, but they are quite tasty.licklips.gif

yes, there certainly is a colonial influence in the former french 'indochine' where there is nice bread, good beer and cheap wine...in Vietnam in the cities sandwiches are sold from carts in the mornings and I had two ladies and their cart pull up outside my accommodation in HCMC and then the flow of the sea of motorcycles would become disrupted as folks would just stop in mid flow to get their sarnies...I would come from across the street and hold up 2 fingers and my sandwiches would be ready when I managed to wade across the motorcycle flow to the other side...

the sandwich fillings were mostly gristle and fat and I would make do with a couple of salad sarnies some days...out in the provinces you can find bread but never did see no sandwiches...

in Thailand folks like to pretend to destain falang sandwiches and bread in Thailand was only really introduced with MacDonalds hamburger buns...but in my house the kids like peanut butter and jelly and I've seen my wife sneak a ham an' cheese now and then...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I've always been dissapointed that Thailand doesn't have a version of the "ban mi" or vietnamese style sandwiches on french bread.

IMO, in Vietnam, the lunch meats in those sandwiches is total crap, but the cheese omelet ones are really good. I am guessing that in the USA they are using a different kind of cold cut, because I can not imagine the original being very popular.

I've always been dissapointed that Thailand doesn't have a version of the "ban mi" or vietnamese style sandwiches on french bread.

IMO, in Vietnam, the lunch meats in those sandwiches is total crap, but the cheese omelet ones are really good. I am guessing that in the USA they are using a different kind of cold cut, because I can not imagine the original being very popular.

I'm sure you are right, however the ones I had in Lao had "moo yor" on them which is good. I think I had one every day for lunch when I was there.

Check this out. Chipotle, a hugely successful American burrito chain, is experimenting with a Southeast Asian casual fast food concept using rice bowls and bread as a base. Yes, of course this is already popular in Vietnam as banh mi, but in this case, the customers choose their own fillings some of which are Thai flavors.

So far there is only the Washington D.C. location but its a hit so it will probably become a big chain concept.

http://shophousekitchen.com/#/menu