Hand Operated Post Hole Borers/Augurs

peter124

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help with this one?

I used to use a hand Auger in the UK and would like to purchase one here in Thailand, Chiang Rai preferably, to bore holes for some rubber plants we have decided to put in. I have looked on the web and I see that they are available from China but minimum order of 500, I only want one or maybe two.

Any help apreciated,

Peter

I use a manual 2" auger here in the US for core-venting and dry fertilization, and have used larger 2 man augers with a motorized power head for planting holes, but never saw them in Thailand. They don't work well in hard-packed clay unless you have a tractor mounted, PTO driven auger.

For your purpose you don't need to go very deep. The usual way to dig small diamenter holes in Thailand is with a widely available tool that consists of a small chisel/shovel head welded on to a pipe handle. I don't know the Thai name. They are found at Home Pro and most local hardware stores. If the soil is hard you can use a digging bar to loosen and then scoop out the loose soil with a trowel or one of these narrow digging shovels. If you want a 6 to 8 inch diameter hole, double handle, clam-shell type post hole diggers are available. Labor is cheap; unless you are doing it yourself you will find that your workers will be more comfortable with tools that they are familiar with.

Hey pete i was in the same problem as you and coudln't find one in either Sukhothai or Chang Mai as i wanted to put a concrete post fence around my rubber trees .So Ii bought my own up from Oz and you can get 150mm or 200mm and only about $75 or 2300 baht

good luck finding one , you should of seen my relatives watching a falang with this strange device digging his own holes ,

got done properly but.

pm me if you want one sent over

Edited by fezzy

Hi Peter,

I was in the same situation .

Last June I brought first quality

Earthquake" mashine with an 8 inch (30 inch long ) auger from the US . Planted my trees and the fenceposts and do not have too much use for it anymore .

PM me and we can discuss this further .