Where To Get Lawnmower-Type Engine In Chiang Mai

hanuman1

Hi All

I'm building a simple go-kart for my son and the spec says it requires a 'second-hand lawn mower engine with a vertical drive shaft'.

The rolling assembly is almost done so the next question would be 'Where can I get such an engine in Chiang Mai?', but failing that - and if I need to get a new engine - how do I know what specifications it should have? Is it measured in CC?, Horse power, what? I only want the kart to go about 5-10 mph and have seen the shiny new motors (engines?) in Global House, but I don't know if they're suitable.

To be honest, I don't even know what's the difference between a 'motor' and an 'engine', but am willingly to learn fast. If I could get what I need for less than 5 grand, I'd be very happy.

Any help at all would be very gratefully received.

Cheers

h1

IF you are looking for a 2nd hand mower engine you need to find a mower service place, they would probably be able to hook you up with a reconditioned motor or even order you a new one.

2 popular brands of mower engine are Briggs & Stratton (fitted on many mower brands) and honda.

A B&S service shop is identified in this post http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/410409-briggs-stratton-lawnmower-engine/page__view__findpost__p__3984305

I have been thinking of building one also. Could you PM me where you got your plans. I was drafting one myself but it would be nice to have something to base it from.

As for the engine. If you don't mind spending the money get a new one would be fine. I actually though about going electric. 1.5HP should be more than enough for that kind of speed.

I'd suggest a trip to the Speedway Circuit at Hang Dong with someone who speaks Thai. Engines are fairly easy to come by (in fact, many agricultural impliments are sold without one so you can fit the one of your choice) but getting the right one for karting will be the trick. They have plenty of enthusiasts there and someone will give you better advice than you're likely to find here.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

necronx99 - Great link to a thread where Greenside has posted what may be the best lead. Cheers Greenside!

tolstoy - this is what I'm going for:

http://www.kartbuilding.net/Lawnmower_Powered_Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/

there is a complete set of pretty detailed plans.

I'm about half way through it so can give advice on where to get most of the parts etc.

I launched into this knowing nothing about cart-building, engineering and - it turns out - wood. My first piece of advice is to not miss where the guy specifies that a soft wood should be used. I naively assumed that it would be possible to drive nails and screws into any kind of wood and am now lumbered with some unbelievably hard stuff that is about as pliable as concrete. It makes for a lot of extra time and effort, so don't make the same mistake I did!

Anyway, if you take it on, feel free to post any questions about it here. I'm sure myself and others will be happy to give further advice.

• Like 1

you could also use a chainsaw-the chain just wouldn't have teeth -also good for a bike-

a motor transforms (electric)energy the engine actually produces it too(from wood gas etc,) but then there is of course the wankel motor which is actually an engine

Edited by uptoyoumyfriend

The kind of motor you seek is used in an 'Edger' not a lawnmower. Edgers are used to trim grass over growth on areas such as sidewalks and driveways.

Thanks for the tip. Would that be powerful enough though? I reckon with the wood I'm using for the chassis, plus engine plus driver, it would have to shift at least 100 kilos at a rough guess.

Edited by hanuman1

you could also use a chainsaw-the chain just wouldn't have teeth -also good for a bike-

a motor transforms (electric)energy the engine actually produces it too(from wood gas etc,) but then there is of course the wankel motor which is actually an engine

Well that's made it as clear as mud, then. licklips.gif

I've heard the explanation of a motor as being something that was electrically driven, but then the traditional term 'motor car' wouldn't really fit in to that explanation. I don't think there is a clear difference between a motor and an engine. They seem to be interchangeable terms, unless someone knows otherwise.

Edited by hanuman1

Well that's made it as clear as mud, then. licklips.gif

I've heard the explanation of a motor as being something that was electrically driven, but then the traditional term 'motor car' wouldn't really fit in to that explanation. I don't think there is a clear difference between a motor and an engine. They seem to be interchangeable terms, unless someone knows otherwise.

Ok, semantics. A motor is electric. An engine or a motor is infernal combustion. There are no electric engines.

Ignore advice for trimmer or chainsaw or any other type of engine, they are either not powerful enough or may have the wrong configuration for your plan.

What you want for your plan is what they specify, a vertical drive mower engine as is commonly used on any push lawn mower, the bigger the better. Standard mower engines are around 150cc and are comparable in capacity to a small scooter or motorbike.

If you were comfortable to change your plan yourself you could get a used bike engine and substitute for a mower engine, in many ways this would be prefereable as you could then utilise the clutch and it would likely have more power, but this is a deviation from your plan as a bike engine has a horozontal shaft. In this environment it might be worth going with that.

The author of the plan has used what for him would have been the most common small engine a person was likely to be able to obtain. The prevalance of small bikes in LOS means that a trashed bike might be a better source of an engine and provide a better mechanical system.

Hope this helps.

Edited by necronx99

The kind of motor you seek is used in an 'Edger' not a lawnmower. Edgers are used to trim grass over growth on areas such as sidewalks and driveways.

Thanks for the tip. Would that be powerful enough though? I reckon with the wood I'm using for the chassis, plus engine plus driver, it would have to shift at least 100 kilos at a rough guess.

Normal HP output for bother lawnmowers and trimmers are 3.5 - 5 hp. The average auto motorcycle like the honda click has around 10 hp.

It will be enough for a kid, although it may be hard to find an edger...i think they just use gas weed eaters here instead.

I doubt an engine from an edger would propel a go cart. They tend to be quite heavy, and then there would be the driver weight on top of it.

There is a second hand shop on Hang Dong RD that sells second hand engines they might have what you're looking for or they might direct you you to someone. It's located south from Airport Plaza about 100 m before the Esso station on left hand side.

edgers usually come around 3.5 hp, more than enough.Same as lawnmower engines.

It all boils down to the gearing ratio. You can lift 1000 kilograms with 0.5 hp if you set the gearing correctly.

Just priced available HONDA engines for you today: 5.5 HP B7000(from Japan) or B4800(from Taiwan) and 9.0 HP B10800(Japan) or B9500(Taiwan).

Coming west from Lotus Khamtieng towards the Chotana/ SuperHwy Intersection, on the side street, on the left, the shop extends from about 200 to 300 meters before the traffic lights where one would turn left /South to go to Rachabat 'university'.

Don't turn left but find a parking spot along there before the intersection,if you can.

That entire side comprises dealers in lawn mowers, bushwackers, irrigation piping etc. The boss lady is at the counter near all the western-style wheeled lawn mowers, on the right.

Hi guys, I'd just like to thank everyone for their kind advice.

I haven't got onto the engine/clutch part yet and feeling quite apprehensive about it, but I'll let you guys know how it unfolds.

At the moment I'm doing reccies for a local welder and the pulley wheel I need to weld onto the (active) rear axle.

Thanks again!

Hi guys, I'd just like to thank everyone for their kind advice.

I haven't got onto the engine/clutch part yet and feeling quite apprehensive about it, but I'll let you guys know how it unfolds.

At the moment I'm doing reccies for a local welder and the pulley wheel I need to weld onto the (active) rear axle.

Thanks again!

Cool project you have! I had a go cart when I was a kid and it was very similar to the one you are building but it used a horizontal shaft engine. The whole engine was mounted on a hinged plate that was connected to a lever. When you pulled the lever, the vee belt tightened up and away you went. Finding a clutch might be somewhat hard so you might want to have your mechanic weld up some kind of way to control the vee belt tension. Also..... horizontal shaft engines would be easier to re-sell in case you lose interest in the cart. Some of the Chinese versions are quite cheap and start on the first pull. Good luck.