Honda Steed 600

MartinL

I might be looking to buy a 600 Steed soon and have one in mind to look at.

I've only seen photos of this bike so far but something puzzles me a little.The photos of the bike show what I can only describe as a "Harley-type" chaincase on the LHS of the engine, just like the one you can see in the attached picture.

post-101232-0-20454400-1328756066_thumb.

Can anyone tell me anything about this chaincase - it doesn't appear on the vast majority of Steed engines I see either on the road or in photos. Is it just a cosmetic add-on or actually a functioning part of the engine?

Thanks.

OP back again.

The bike in the picture isn't the bike I'm considering - that one looks far different :) :).

The picture's only to demonstrate what the chaincase/primary drive cover looks like; I couldn't find a better picture.

OP back again.

The bike in the picture isn't the bike I'm considering - that one looks far different smile.pngsmile.png.

The picture's only to demonstrate what the chaincase/primary drive cover looks like; I couldn't find a better picture.

This photo is from a story in a Thai biker magazine from a couple of years ago. I actually just threw that issue out 4 days ago when I moved condos. It is a Steed 600, but it is completely custom, done by a professional shop. I believe they hand crafted alot of the parts, and borrowed alot from other bikes as well. I remember this bike well, it had alot of brushed parts on it. I liked it alot, and it was the reason I got my Steed 2 years ago.

To answer, I believe that this is an actual functioning part on the 600's. I have only seen one 600 in Thailand, all the rest were 400's, and they don't have the same cover on them. I see 10 Steed 400's a day, but just don't see the 600's.

OP back again.

The bike in the picture isn't the bike I'm considering - that one looks far different smile.pngsmile.png.

Does the Steed you are looking at have a green book?

If not you may well have a problem in the future.