Boeing 787 Dreamliner Arrives in Thailand

webfact

Boeing 787 Dreamliner arrives in Thailand

b787dream.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 9 - The eco-friendly Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft arrived Thailand on Thursday morning and the test-run flight is to take off Friday from Suvarnabhumi Airport to the northern province of Chiang Mai.

Boeing launched its latest aircraft, flying from Seattle in the United States, as a new innovation focusing on energy savings.

The morning test-run flight will carry VIP guests from Bangkok to Chiang Mai International Airport, while in the afternoon Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, her cabinet, as well as Thai Airways International (THAI) President Piyasvasti Amranand will reboard to fly back to the capital.

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner can support up to 250 passengers and fly as far as 14,200-15,200 kilometres. Compared to other medium-sized aircraft, this aircraft can reduce fuel use by up to 20 per cent per flight.

Eight-hundred and twenty-one Dreamliners were ordered by 57 customers worldwide at a total of US$167 billion.

THAI will lease eight 787s, to be delivered in 2014. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-02-09

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Out of the scores of aircraft Thai Airways have ordered, then deferred/delayed I have not seen any of these planes delivered.

Look back at the threads over the last 2 years when Thai have announced new aircraft orders, WHERE ?????....now the Dreamliner and announced to lease--8. I wonder if that will happen. and what YEAR ?? not now is it ??? and all this bull with Yingluck and cabinet returning from Chiang Mai....I wonder why Chiang Mai was chosen. Ha Ha. oh-well, posters may well look up the history of Thai promoting further purchases.

As I see it I'm trying to recall when they last bought a sizable aircraft, to replace the aging 20 year old+ 747s on the European routes. But they did recently report that they had lost was it millions and millions, they said on rising oil prices, but they put on the % to the customer.

Edited by ginjag

PM to fly Boeing's Dreamliner

Marisa Chimprabha

30175502-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Boeing's new 787 Dreamliner, configured with a luxurious business-class cabin, which arrived in Bangkok on Thursday, will welcome many VIPs on board including Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Yingluck travelled to Chiang Mai, her home province, today to attend certain official functions and stay overnight there. She will board the 787 jet back from Chiang Mai to Bangkok on Friday afternoon.

The 787 chose Bangkok as its first stop of its "Dream Tour" before leaving for Singapore to join in Air Show on Saturday.

Yingluck and other VIPs including Piyasvasti Amranand, THAI's President will experience the revolutionary technology and passenger innovation of the jet firsthand.

The Boeing's special cabin features included dramatically larger dimmable windows and dynamic LED lighting. The 787 Dreamliner is made of 50 percent composite materials, which Boeing officials said is more fuel efficient.

Scott Fancher, vice president and general manager, 787 program said in a statement recently that the company looked forward to showcasing the game-changing technologies of the 787 to our valued customers and partners in the Asia-Pacific region.

The special cabinet features of the airplane, ZA003, included a welcoming entryway, bigger bins, an overhead crew rest compartment and an economy class section.

It is the first mid-sized airplane capable of flying long-range routes, responding to passengers’ demands for non-stop travel.

Boeing touts its all-new 787 as a game changer for the aviation industry.

After Bangkok, the Boeing will be on display at the Singapore Airshow, to be held from Feb 14 to 19.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-09

Out of the scores of aircraft Thai Airways have ordered, then deferred/delayed I have not seen any of these planes delivered.

Look back at the threads over the last 2 years when Thai have announced new aircraft orders, WHERE ?????....now the Dreamliner and announced to lease--8. I wonder if that will happen. and what YEAR ?? not now is it ??? and all this bull with Yingluck and cabinet returning from Chiang Mai....I wonder why Chiang Mai was chosen. Ha Ha. oh-well, posters may well look up the history of Thai promoting further purchases.

As I see it I'm trying to recall when they last bought a sizable aircraft, to replace the aging 20 year old+ 747s on the European routes. But they did recently report that they had lost was it millions and millions, they said on rising oil prices, but they put on the % to the customer.

Still waiting to get them off the used market no doubt.

Edited by wxyz

What's all the fuss about this aircraft?

I'm sure the airlines will again pack as many seats as possible into economy class, so you won't miss the nice feeling of your legroom shrinking to zero when the pax in front makes full use of the reclining capability of his seat.

Doubtless the savings in fuel will be passed along to the passenger...

And for your next joke?

Air travel is shortly to be a relaxing, inexpensive and civilised experience, with each and every passenger afforded good service and respect.

• Like 2

Dreamliner to help fuel Thai Airways' growth

BAMRUNG AMNATCHAROENRIT

THE NATION

30175581-01_big.JPG

Thai Airways International will go ahead with its belt-tightening plan to keep its operation flying high, although the airline faced a recent strike by some aircraft-maintenance staff.

BANGKOK: -- THAI president Piyasvasti Amranand said every department had agreed on the plan and was seeking ways to reduce costs. Overseas offices worldwide will be the next to follow suit. Under the plan, overtime pay will be cut 17 per cent. That could save Bt464 million a year. Last year, the total overtime cost was Bt2 billion. On overall workforce expenditure, the company intends to save Bt1 billion annually.

"The firm will attempt to reduce unnecessary costs and improve our working efficiency,'' he said, adding that some measures could be implemented in the long term if they prove workable.

Yesterday, THAI welcomed the Boeing 787 Dreamliner at Suvarnabhumi Airport, the first stop in the airliner's Dream Tour to Southeast Asia. Singapore is its only other destination on the tour.

The 787 will be added to THAI's fleet in two years. The company will take delivery of four 787-8 Dreamliners, with two more delivered the following year, and two B787-9 aircraft delivered in 2017, bringing the total number of 787s in THAI's fleet to eight. All will be leased from International Lease Finance Corporation for 12 years.

The 787-8 Dreamliner will carry 210-250 passengers on routes of 14,200-15,200 kilometres, while the 787-9 Dreamliner will carry 250-290 passengers on routes of 14,800-15,750km.

Piyasvasti said the advantage of the 787 was energy saving, with 20 per cent less fuel consumption than comparable aircraft. It will also be 30 per cent cheaper to maintain.

Their addition to the fleet will help reduce the company's per-flight energy costs a lot, he said. Currently, fuel accounts for up 40 per cent of the total cost of a flight. If it can save 20 per cent, that means the company's operating costs will go down 8 per cent.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-10

so the total number of 787s will be 8-but this update tell us it's spread over 5 years. so in 5 years they will have 8. different from the first post on the thread. I 5 years what will be efficient???   and they are leasing over 12 years. I wonder how much it will cost to lease-compared to buy, so the fuel efficiency aircraft will be the same as the old style--as they will be spending more on lease percentage.  Crap thinking.  So if I buy a car for 1 million--and compare it with rental--2 million over the years....say 10 years.

then with a 20 year life we can say another 10 years of rental

What's all the fuss about this aircraft?

I'm sure the airlines will again pack as many seats as possible into economy class, so you won't miss the nice feeling of your legroom shrinking to zero when the pax in front makes full use of the reclining capability of his seat.

- And when the seat in front, in economy is fully back, you can't use your notebook, read a newspaper etc.

- And will these aircraft have individual movie screens in economy? Still waiting for that on Thai.

• Like 1

Doubtless the savings in fuel will be passed along to the passenger...

Agree look forward to 20% reduction in faresjap.gif

In case you missed it, fuel prices are expected to increase. More efficient aircraft means that costs can be contained, which translates into less expensive airfares. An airline exists to make a profit, not to provide subsidized air travel. In terms of true cost, air travel today is far less than it was 25 years ago. Where else can I take a 1 hour and 10 minute flight in business class for approx. 3500 baht and be allowed to rebook or change my flight at no extra charge? (BKK-HKT). I certainly don't get similar service in India or the EU or Russia or North America. My BKK-SIN flight on Silk air is about 2.5X the cost of the BKK-HKT flight and a similar trip in the EU or North America in Business class will cost 4-5X the Bkk-HKT route. Flying in Thailand is cheap. TG has economy tickets on the HKT-BKK route as low as 1800 baht. There is always the great service at Air Asia, or Jet Star or Tiger etc. if one is unhappy with TG.

• Like 1

Boeing 787 Dreamliner Debuts in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways is debuting an eco-friendly Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft, flown directly from the United States.

President of Thai Airways International Public Company Limited, Piyasvasti Amranand, gave an interview after the debut of a new passenger airplane, the 787 Dreamliner. The aircraft flew 15 hours from Seattle to Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport. The aircraft is manufactured by Boeing Company.

Piyasvasti reaffirmed that the company will be profitable this year, as it could reduce its oil costs through a fuel-hedging contract, adding that fuel is the company's major operation cost, accounting for 40 percent of all its costs.

The contract would ensure that the company's operation costs increase by only one dollar a barrel if global oil prices go up by three dollars a barrel.

Meanwhile, the company has implemented a belt-tightening plan. Thai Airways aims to cut at least 1 billion baht on spending. One of its measures includes the overtime pay cut policy.

The cut has resulted in a 17 percent drop in employees' earnings from overtime work, or the equivalent of 414 million baht. Previously, the company spent 2 billion baht on overtime pay.

The Thai Airways president said the company will receive eight of the Boeing 787 Dreamliners from 2014 to 2017. He said four of them will arrive in Thailand in 2014, while the other four will be flown into Thailand in 2016 and 2017. The company will rent the planes for 12 years.

Moreover, this aircraft will help reduce the company's operation costs by 8 percent, as it can reduce fuel usage by up to 20 percent per flight.

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner will be displayed in Bangkok from February 9 to 11 before flying to Singapore and stationed at the Singapore Air Show from February 11 to 18. The plane can carry up to 250 passengers and fly as far as 14,200-15,200 kilometers.

As of now, 57 customers worldwide have reserved 821 planes from Boeing Company, a value of 167 billion U.S. dollars.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-02-10

footer_n.gif

BIt of a coup for the President of THAI managing to get this for a show and tell for a few days before it appears at the very prestigious Singapore Air Fair. The fact that THAI bosses and the PM will all be going for a jaunt must really stick in the craw of the resident and perpetual THAI (and Thai) bashers.

It's going to be interesting to see how successful it is.

A number of years ago, when the 787 was on the drawing board, Boeing and Airbus had radically different views on where the future in aviation lay.

Airbus bet on a plane that would meet demand for increased capacity on main, established long-haul flights. They made the A380 to meet that demand.

Boeing decided that new point-to-point routes were the future. A long range, fuel efficient, medium size airplane would be best. They made the 787.

I wonder if Being would let our prince fly it to Chiang Mai.

Our prince did fly their Boeing 737 on a special charity event from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. The event was a big success. Millions was donated for good cause. TG sales immediately rocketed.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/100006-hrh-crown-prince-will-fly-another-special-charity-flight-today/

IThai government might also award the Garuda sign to Boeing, which is a real sales booster.

Piyasvasti said the advantage of the 787 was energy saving, with 20 per cent less fuel consumption than comparable aircraft. It will also be 30 per cent cheaper to maintain.

Going by the number of AirBus 380s being laid up with substantial wing panel cracks even after such a relatively short lifespan, I would seriously question what carrier I used and what aircraft I was booked on.

In comparison, I suspect the 30% reduction in maintenance on the Dreamliner will be much greater than stated due to the composite construction.