Orange Moon

Tywais

Stepped out back earlier this evening to an orange moon. Focus was a bit of an issue as had to shoot between branches but did get it on a tripod first and set the timer. Still learning the camera and forgot about manual focus capability. Still, in the original the craters are visible on the edges.

moon4.jpg

Taken a little while later in clearer air. Panasonic GH2 100-300mm(200-600mm 35mm equivalent) set at 600mm. 1/800 Sec ISO 400 F5.6 - cropped.

moon5a.jpg

Yes, with the smoke from the burning, while it gives a nice orange/red colour, makes for very hazy photos. Have you tried videoing the moon using the EX Tele setting? At 300 mm x 2.6 the moon moves very fast!!!

Yes, with the smoke from the burning, while it gives a nice orange/red colour, makes for very hazy photos. Have you tried videoing the moon using the EX Tele setting? At 300 mm x 2.6 the moon moves very fast!!!

I realized after taking the 2nd shot that it wasn't a matter of focus but of the haze. I thought about videoing with EX setting but my cheap tripod with it's plastic head sticks too much to be able to follow it if the FOV is as narrow as I suspect it will be. Just a correction above, it's actually 600 mm x2.6 = 1560. I believe if I set to crop mode (4:3, 1:1, etc.) I can use the EX Tele in photo mode? Need to go through the manual again. The other thing I may do is using the intervalometer and time lapse the moon.

These were instances where the touch screen LCD was quite useful as I could just touch the moon and it will focus follow as the cheap tripod & hand held were not that steady.

I realized after taking the 2nd shot that it wasn't a matter of focus but of the haze. I thought about videoing with EX setting but my cheap tripod with it's plastic head sticks too much to be able to follow it if the FOV is as narrow as I suspect it will be. Just a correction above, it's actually 600 mm x2.6 = 1560. I believe if I set to crop mode (4:3, 1:1, etc.) I can use the EX Tele in photo mode? Need to go through the manual again. The other thing I may do is using the intervalometer and time lapse the moon.

These were instances where the touch screen LCD was quite useful as I could just touch the moon and it will focus follow as the cheap tripod & hand held were not that steady.

I'm no longer sure whether to use 35 mm sizes ( 600) or the actual ( 300). I still think in 35 mm terms ( Once had a 500 f4 nikon lens, very heavy!!). At max EX tele, the moon moves fast, you have to adjust the tripod every few minutes.

I'm no longer sure whether to use 35 mm sizes ( 600) or the actual ( 300). I still think in 35 mm terms ( Once had a 500 f4 nikon lens, very heavy!!). At max EX tele, the moon moves fast, you have to adjust the tripod every few minutes.

For many years I shot with a Nikon FE film camera with a half dozen+ lenses including a 500mm catadioptric lens (light weight) so my point of reference is still in 35mm, it's my baseline so I always mentally convert. wink.png