What To Do In Case Of Not Serious Motorbike Accident?

khman

Thanks, when I see these answers, I am happy to have asked the question.

If anyone has some precisions, law information, anything, I take smile.png

Thanks

In the book called Thai LAw for foerigners that was prrinted in 2005.

It quotes" in the event of an accident the forang is to be wrong because he or she does not know the Thai way to drive"

Hence if you have a Thai driving lisence then it help to counter this law.

Also most motorbike for rent are not fully inssurenced. It is the price we pay for freedome. 2 sides.

1 it is easy to rent any motor bike which you cannot do back home

the other side is that shoudl you crash and the brand new bike is written off or stolen then in most cases the leasee shall have to buy a brand new bike.

for people here longer than 6 months it is cheaper to buy your own bike. then put it up for sale when you leave and keep it in storage until you come back.

There are funnily enough a few companies that buy bike for fast cash for people that do this.

everyone benifits

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah right, a very sick vdo, don't really need to see this, plenty of real life options around this island and the mainland and people do die there.

I haven't looked at the video but i have seen some sick picture from bike accidents and car accidents and i reckon people should look at them to show them what happens as an action of their consiquences.

If it is real then you should see it. Beleive me once you see someone' brain splattered alll over the road. It might make you think more about driving drunk with no helmet and also that you could hit someone else.

people need to see what really happens when there is a serious accident and not read about it and turn the page then carry on as normal

Agree Big C, however, I've seen my share of bike crashes.

Yeah right, a very sick vdo, don't really need to see this, plenty of real life options around this island and the mainland and people do die there.

I haven't looked at the video but i have seen some sick picture from bike accidents and car accidents and i reckon people should look at them to show them what happens as an action of their consiquences.

If it is real then you should see it. Beleive me once you see someone' brain splattered alll over the road. It might make you think more about driving drunk with no helmet and also that you could hit someone else.

people need to see what really happens when there is a serious accident and not read about it and turn the page then carry on as normal

Nothing sick about the video and certainly no brains splattered anywhere

In fact there are very few brains anywhere in the video

Nothing sick about the video and certainly no brains splattered anywhere

In fact there are very few brains anywhere in the video

Maybe sick means shit spattered brains over the screen to you, I've seen enough rod accidents to make me feel sick when I see these clips, each to his own. I didn't have the need to watch it to the end and I most certainly don't believe that nobody was killed in the clips that I saw, again, my personal pov.

you are missing my point. i did not watch the video yet. i am too busy.

but sometimes looking at pictures that make u feel sick might help you persuade your loved ones to not do the sort of things that could have you end up in these situations.

I never take my kid out on a motor bike. I would rarther rent a car. i cannot put a price on my childs life just for a quick nipping down the shops.

i know some people do not have the option due to lack of money. don't get me wrong i could save my self bucket s of money if i did not buy a second car just for my kid but whats money .. nothing compared to the hart ache and heavy hospital bills just for taking my kid down the local 7/11 for some snacks in a hurry

as for seeing enough. maybe you should pass on your experiences to other people who haven't seen enough there again eeasy to foget when people are out their nuts

Edited by BigC

but sometimes looking at pictures that make u feel sick might help you persuade your loved ones to not do the sort of things that could have you end up in these situations.

I never take my kid out on a motor bike. I would rarther rent a car. i cannot put a price on my childs life just for a quick nipping down the shops.

i know some people do not have the option due to lack of money. don't get me wrong i could save my self bucket s of money if i did not buy a second car just for my kid but whats money .. nothing compared to the hart ache and heavy hospital bills just for taking my kid down the local 7/11 for some snacks in a hurry

as for seeing enough. maybe you should pass on your experiences to other people who haven't seen enough there again eeasy to foget when people are out their nuts

not only the victims to blame but also crazy drivers smashing head on into some poor family man on his way home from work or woman.

I've seen my share of weird and sick pictures.

]

They prefer insult me, tell it's a dumb question...

Imagine a friend come to see you for a week. You rent a motorbike on beach road. Where to go to get insured?

You can only get the traffic third part insurance on a scooter.

In case of accident, you pay in following order.

1. Tourist.

2. Expat without license.

3. Expat with license

4. Thai without license.

5. Thai with license.

6. Someone related to police.

Hey sucker - people reading this might think you were being serious.

Not good promo for either you or the island.

R

Sadly this is he case however in near 95% (or more) of all road accidents around this country. Good promo or not for this island, let a,one the country, unfortunately this is how it works here.

I think that's the way it used to be, but I reckon things are now beginning to change. I had a minor shunt last year that was very much not my fault. The Thai kid driving had no licence and his bike had no tax sticker on it. The police checked my registration book and licence/tax and listened to what I had to say (I think it helps if you can speak Thai but the policeman spoke better English than I spoke Thai) - then decided the boy had to give me 2,000 baht. They impounded his bike and I collected 2,000B the next day from the police station.

From what I've been seeing/hearing the police here are getting a lot more even about these things. My impression is that they have little patience with tourists or farangs on rented bikes. But the long-stay farang who is polite and calm and speaks a bit of Thai has more of a presence now and isn't immediately ignored like it was not so long ago.

R

[q

And no one died

What impresses me (and I gave up after about 5 mins) is just how many of these accidents/crashes were the sole result of one motorbike driver who just . . . fell off.

No other person involved. Just a cake-head with the awareness of a pond newt who slams his little scooter into a bend - or who's passenger decides to lean into the turn - and they just fall off/slide across the road/crash into a tree.

Way back in my past life I was a teacher and young Alan ****, who was ESN/retarded/disadvantaged (whatever it's now called) was predicted to have a short life expectancy after he managed to pass his bike test. He was killed 2 weeks later aged 17 overtaking on a blind bend. The careless style and dashing incompetence of most of these Asian young bloods remind me so much of the way little retarded Alan used to drive about . . . he could barely make it out of the school yard without hitting a wall or a gatepost at 40 kph.

Probably 40% of the incidents on this video show riders driving head on into cars, trucks lampposts, walls, road signs, concrete barriers or other large solid immovable objects.

It's probably quite a good thing really.

Any alien beings of average intelligence who might be pondering on the possibility of conquering the Earth and using humans as slaves would see this and decide to come back and check again in a few thousand years when humans had advanced enough to be trained . . .

R

Edited by robsamui

I think that's the way it used to be, but I reckon things are now beginning to change. I had a minor shunt last year that was very much not my fault. The Thai kid driving had no licence and his bike had no tax sticker on it. The police checked my registration book and licence/tax and listened to what I had to say (I think it helps if you can speak Thai but the policeman spoke better English than I spoke Thai) - then decided the boy had to give me 2,000 baht. They impounded his bike and I collected 2,000B the next day from the police station.

From what I've been seeing/hearing the police here are getting a lot more even about these things. My impression is that they have little patience with tourists or farangs on rented bikes. But the long-stay farang who is polite and calm and speaks a bit of Thai has more of a presence now and isn't immediately ignored like it was not so long ago.

R

Sorry Rob, I don't even know where to begin to tell you (personally witnessed) stories which are the complete opposite to your experience. I can only hope that your experience is a structural change, which I still very much doubt.

]

R

Sorry Rob, I don't even know where to begin to tell you (personally witnessed) stories which are the complete opposite to your experience. I can only hope that your experience is a structural change, which I still very much doubt.

Well, yes, and me too, several times in the past. Which is why I wanted to mention that it's not always automatically a bad experience. I understand that circumstances will vary a lot, even down to whether you get good cop or bad cop (or what they've had for breakfast). But I feel hopeful about it all now - before there was no hope and it was a foregone conclusion.

I still contend that the attitude of the farang and the status of the Thai person involved have more to do with the outcome than a blanket "farang pays".

I recall an accident I had at night about 18 months ago when a Mercedes which was dithering in the gutter suddenly speeded up as I decided to overtake. I'm licenced, taxed and insured and have the car's blue book with me (copy). After 5 minutes of arguing, and with me refusing flatly to pay the 20,000 baht that was demanded, on the grounds that the (Thai) driver was acting like he was drunk, I demanded to be taken to Nathon and put into a cell until I could call my Bangkok lawyer in the morning. (Ho ho - what lawyer . . .??)

Dead silence - then, "No can do." I replied with 'Can do," handed my car keys to the police, locked my car and sat in silence on the bonnet. Whispered conversations between the driver and police. "Give to him 5,000 baht." "No. I speak with lawyer and insurance in the morning. Take me to Nathon. I pay nothing."

The end of the story was that I insisted on seeing the drivers licence and insurance - which the police hadn't asked to do. It turned out that he hadn't got any and it wasn't his car - he had "borrowed" it while his boss was away for the weekend and was scared still of being found out and also having to pay for the damage. So I then demanded that he then pay me 5,000 baht for the damage to my car. More very fast conversations (which I couldn't follow) then the police and the Mercedes driver just got into their cars and drove off in opposite directions without saying another word to me and leaving me standing there.

I was polite and firm all the way through, spoke in Thai and very obviously wasn't a tourist. I still think that had a lot to do with the outcome, as did the fact that I had a full set of documents and the Thai guy didn't have any and it wasn't even his car. It was inconceivable that I should have paid.

Now if it had been the car's owner who was driving it . . . . .

R

Edited by robsamui

Hi Rob,

Agree with your points!

Still pretty much boll*cks that you were left standing alone with damage to your car! clap2.gif

Had a similar story once, where I actually had caused a minor accident between my car and a Phuket taxi driver in Phuket, I had to point out to the police guy, that although he asked me for a drivers license, how about asking the cab driver for one........... Long story short, cab driver had a license and my insurance cleared everything.

Edited by limbos

Hi Rob,

Agree with your points!

Still pretty much boll*cks that you were left standing alone with damage to your car! clap2.gif

Had a similar story once, where I actually had caused a minor accident between my car and a Phuket taxi driver in Phuket, I had to point out to the police guy, that although he asked me for a drivers license, how about asking the cab driver for one........... Long story short, cab driver had a license and my insurance cleared everything.

how is it when a thai crashes into a forang thai on motor bike forang in car. the forang is always wrong even though about 60 per cent of thai do not have a motor bike licence and they normallly not wear helmets which is the law.

that should place the thai in the wrong before the collossion. no licence not legality to driving on the road.

No licence no legality to drive. so the thai should be in the wrong before an accident happened.

i think next time i have an inccodent i shall demand to see the thai mans lisence or i not pay. i won't pay anyway cause i am inssured but arhhhh what ever

how is it when a thai crashes into a forang thai on motor bike forang in car. the forang is always wrong even though about 60 per cent of thai do not have a motor bike licence and they normallly not wear helmets which is the law.

Because if you had stayed in your country it would never had happened. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Because if you had stayed in your country it would never had happened. whistling.gif

unfortunate, but true no matter how incorrect.

There's some ridiculous advice in this thread. Of course you do not have to pay when the accident is clearly not your fault. Thailand has a court system and the judges are not idiots.

The reason most tourists choose to pay is that they do not want the hassle of going to court on their holiday. The police know this and will use the threat of the Thai court system to scare you into settling, because it's less work for them and they will get a cut. But if you ignore them and go to court you can expect a fair outcome, but obviously it depends how much your time is worth to you.

Edited by ydraw
  • Like 1

There's some ridiculous advice in this thread. Of course you do not have to pay when the accident is clearly not your fault. Thailand has a court system and the judges are not idiots.

The reason most tourists choose to pay is that they do not want the hassle of going to court on their holiday. The police know this and will use the threat of the Thai court system to scare you into settling, because it's less work for them and they will get a cut. But if you ignore them and go to court you can expect a fair outcome, but obviously it depends how much your time is worth to you.

violin.gifcoffee1.gifcheesy.gif

I don't know how long you live here and of how many court cases you know where the judges 'were not idiots'. It's really time you smell the coffee. Very unfortunate that it is this way, but you should truly stop looking through rose tainted glasses.

Edited by limbos
  • Like 1

I have lived here 9 years and I have seen plenty of court cases finish with reasonable results. What I've seen a lot more of, though, is a greedy Thai who doesn't go through with the court action once they realise the Farang isn't going to pay them just because they said so. They aren't going to waste money on a lawyer when they know they are in the wrong.

But the cases that go to court constituted less than 5% of the accidents. Typically the Farang chooses to just pay because it's not a lot of money and they can't be bothered with the hassle of navigating the Thai legal system.

Edited by ydraw

passifier.gif

Sorry, but you are off the reservation on this one. In Thailand, the 'spirit' of the law is more important than the letter of the law. I know a number of cases where this has proved to be true (my own included). The judges are not idiots, and the one in my case told me to pay! The reason - the law supports Thais first in most cases.

The reason why I say that the spirit is more important - I attended a seminar on Thai law for foreigners. It was given by law lecturers, lawyers and judges. These words were actually used in the seminar. Even if you are right, you might be wrong.

There's some ridiculous advice in this thread....The reason most tourists choose to pay is that they do not want the hassle of going to court on their holiday.....

right, better extend holidays to, mhm (?) 2 years or longer or fly back for court hearings every time the court requests that.....

There's some ridiculous advice in this thread....The reason most tourists choose to pay is that they do not want the hassle of going to court on their holiday.....

right, better extend holidays to, mhm (?) 2 years or longer or fly back for court hearings every time the court requests that.....

Exactly, and that is the reason why most tourists just pay up. But the situation is different if you live here and the threat of making you fly back to attend a court hearing isn't viable. But in all reality if you bothered to contact a lawyer or your insurance company contracted a lawyer, you would see the bogus claim dropped very quickly.

Edited by ydraw

Exactly, and that is the reason why most tourists just pay up. But the situation is different if you live here and the threat of making you fly back to attend a court hearing isn't viable. But in all reality if you bothered to contact a lawyer or your insurance company contracted a lawyer, you would see the bogus claim dropped very quickly.

are you serious ? , how long have yu been here?

so , as an example, you knock someone off there bike, after a couple of drinks, they offer you to pay 12 ,000 THB or go to court? , what would you do ? ..... the courts might fine you more, blacklist you , and possible jail term

and if not your fault? , forget it , it always is !

I have lived here 9 years and I have seen plenty of court cases finish with reasonable results. What I've seen a lot more of, though, is a greedy Thai who doesn't go through with the court action once they realise the Farang isn't going to pay them just because they said so. They aren't going to waste money on a lawyer when they know they are in the wrong.

But the cases that go to court constituted less than 5% of the accidents. Typically the Farang chooses to just pay because it's not a lot of money and they can't be bothered with the hassle of navigating the Thai legal system.

Interesting, although I do know of different outcomes in court cases, it's promising, if true.

so , as an example, you knock someone off there bike, after a couple of drinks, they offer you to pay 12 ,000 THB or go to court? , what would you do ? ..... the courts might fine you more, blacklist you , and possible jail term

If you had been drinking you are unlikely to be the innocent party in a court finding, so you might as well pay. But the advice asked for didn't say you had been drinking, it said the Thai driver was at fault.

And the courts would not blacklist you or imprison you for a non-injurious traffic accident where the only damage was to the other party's vehicle. But this is exactly the kind of thing I am talking about when I say that farangs usually pay because of their fear of the Thai legal system.

Edited by ydraw

yoiu have to rememeber if the police have not breathlised you at the crash site then drink or not they cannot say you were drink driving in court.

Tourists have not choice to pay if the police are involved and are wrong then the police shall keep their passports or even jail them until they pay

Tourists have not choice to pay if the police are involved and are wrong then the police shall keep their passports or even jail them until they pay

Another ridiculous and completely 100% wrong comment.

The police cannot "keep your passports". Your passport remains remains property of your home government and they cannot retain possession of it for any reason. The police do not set the value of accident compensation, the courts do. So any amount quoted to you by a police officer is a bribe and nothing more. You can pay it if you want to avoid court, or you can not pay it and see a judge about the matter if you prefer. The police can not hold you in jail for refusing to bribe them.

But again, terrible advice like the few posts I have responded to here ("the police will take your passport" "the police will send you to jail") is why most tourists allow themselves to be shaken down.

Edited by ydraw

Another ridiculous and completely 100% wrong comment.

The police cannot "keep your passports". Your passport remains remains property of your home government and they cannot retain possession of it for any reason. The police do not set the value of accident compensation, the courts do. So any amount quoted to you by a police officer is a bribe and nothing more. You can pay it if you want to avoid court, or you can not pay it and see a judge about the matter if you prefer. The police can not hold you in jail for refusing to bribe them.

But again, terrible advice like the few posts I have responded to here ("the police will take your passport" "the police will send you to jail") is why most tourists allow themselves to be shaken down.

Great advice, now how to react if you witness an accident and the police basically tell to you sod off and don't want to listen to you at all?

Or how to go about the fact that Thai witnesses are completely ignored by the Thai police and it's all the Farangs fault.............

Both situations I have personally witnessed and experienced and I did not know how to react or deal with it.

Edited by Rooo
Double quotes