Prenuptial Agreement (Online) Is It Necessary?

alphason

Getting married in the next couple of months, UK to Thai.

We know that a prenuptial agreement has to be lodged at the time the marriage is registered - if we decide we need it.

We don't own jointly own any property in Thailand where we live. I still have a house in the UK (mortgaged and rented out at the moment but may be sold in the future), future wife has some land in Thailand. I have a small UK company pension that is not being paid into anymore and whatever the state pension will be when I reach the age. We both have some personal savings but not huge amounts. No kids or any other financial commitments, we are both under 40 years.

Seen a prenuptial agreement online for $65, a little over 2,000THB, as its inexpensive and our situation is not very complex would this suffice, or is it not really necessary at all?, (not sure if posting the link is allowed?).

Anyone else tried this downloaded agreement? Thanks.

A pre-nup gives some protection when things go sour. The more assets one party has, the more important it can be to have one.

Under Thai law, you only split what is acquired during the marriage, inlcuding debts. Anything you had before that is ignored. That would include your future wife's land.

Nobody can predict what your future financial situation wil be. You might need to share your pension with your wife, but not sure since you don't pay into it anymore so could be considered a prior asset.

Thanks Mario2008.

It should be easy enough to show who owns the house and land before the marriage, so maybe the prenup is not really needed for us?

Any idea what happens if for example the uk property is sold and the money spend on something in Thailand?

Also anyone have experience of this online prenup?

Thanks.