Topo Map Cross Reference

T_Dog

Went to buy some 1:50000 toporaphic maps of the mountains north of Mae Taeng at a bookstore today and someone had walked off with the sheet-to-area cross reference. Anyone have a cross reference from area to sheet number for Northern Thailand?

My only immediate reference is the 1:250,000 "Changwat Chiang Mai" sheet (NE47-6) that reaches only as far as the 19th parallel. Try Sheets NE 47-2 AND 47-3, just to the north, of that series because the area you want is split between the two sheets.

What bookstore did you visit? Was it DK Books on the east side of the moat close to the SE corner? If not, try that shop. Although I have noticed topos on sale elsewhere, I can't recall a collection as large as the one at DK Books and, anyway, didn't really bother to note where I saw them, just recalling they appeared restricted to this immediate area. I suppose Surawong might be a good shop to try. Head East from the aforementioned moat corner, and you will find that shop on the south side of the road before you reach Chan Klan. Last, you might visit the library at CMU and talk to the map librarian there, perhaps the geologists and geographers. As an outside shot, you might check on line. The Royal Thai Survey Department might have posted an index. You'll surely need to provide some coordinates for your area of interest. Google is good for that.

There's a newish trail map available that might include some of the area you want. Try the new bikers' cafe on the inside NW corner of the moat .

Don't get lost!

Good tip about the recent edition. The ones I was sifting through at Surawong were the older folded ones. I did stop at the Riders Corner and looked at the paper map they had for sale. Not very impressive and not up to the quality of GT-Rider maps, nor the detail of what I was looking for. I asked about the GPS files and electronic formats of maps but the gals there did not know anything about electronic formats that I think might be available.

and make sure to check the dates on any topos you buy. The rolled ones at DK Books are the latest edition. The folded ones, at least as of last year, were the older edition. And quite a lot older.

Got my Topo maps at DK Books, but they did not know anything about rolled up versions. The ones I bought were folded and in plastic with a data date of 2007. Much more modern format than the ones with green covers at Suriwann Books. I am thinking I got the most recent ones and that they figured out rolled up versions are hard to deal with.

and make sure to check the dates on any topos you buy. The rolled ones at DK Books are the latest edition. The folded ones, at least as of last year, were the older edition. And quite a lot older.

Got my Topo maps at DK Books, but they did not know anything about rolled up versions. The ones I bought were folded and in plastic with a data date of 2007. Much more modern format than the ones with green covers at Suriwann Books. I am thinking I got the most recent ones and that they figured out rolled up versions are hard to deal with.

I guess when I said last year, it could've been late 2010, when they only had rolled copies.

I guess when I said last year, it could've been late 2010, when they only had rolled copies.

Aha! So you lost a year! Thanks again for the tip and lead to DK.