Streets And Sois Practically Free From Water Throwing During Songkran.

labik

I understand the question will beget a few laughs, but will be in Bangkok from the 8th / 9th of April up to 13th / 15th range. Official first day is the 13th (?).

On the last few days I was thinking just have to stay put in a few places. I imagine Central World / Big C / Petchaburi road (Pantip Plaza area), and the road at MBK and Siam Paragon should be completely clear from water throwers on account it's so touristy and business driven (?). Any comments on that?

How is Ratchada around Fortune / Chinese Embassy / Esplanade? Clear, or?

I imagine Nana and Cowboy at Asoke would get them a lot due to the demographic makeup. Just planning some places to hang out the last few days.

Don't count on a business area being safe. Here is Central World last Songkran.

If you want to avoid water, go directly from the Skytrain to MBK or Central World. Can't be completely safe if you're at ground level, even if you don't see anyone shooting you never know when a tuk tuk with armed gunners will drive by and soak you.

The OPs question is totally relevant. Two years ago we stayed in Thailand for a change. We usually take our yearly vacation overseas during Songkran so as to avoid the water and the congestion.

Our Soi (Sukhumvit 93) was blocked with revellers, it took us two hours to get to Sukhumvit Road by car.

Another day, we went to Silom to participate in the "fun" clad with expectancy of getting wet. Not only was Silom Road so packed that cars had a hard time getting through, the crowd was so dense that I didn't even notice that someone lifted the cash out of my front pants pocket! (I hadn't taken a wallet because I expected something like this, and only took a limited amount of cash because you never know.)

So, it's off to another country again this year, fleeing from the madness as usual.

I have frequently, frequently, frequently heard about pickpockets in the Silom area during Songkran- so often that it comes as no surprise. Never had a pickpocket problem anywhere I usually go that time of year, though... which is any place BUT.

There's no 'safe' zone in Bangkok, OP, if that's what you're looking for. Places with less public transportation will have a lower density of people and be marginally less crazy- but as a tourist these are places you're not going to have a reason to be. Suggest that you ask whatever Thai persons you may know to hook you up with a private group doing a drinking/local street water thing somewhere in the suburbs? It's more fun and intimate to be part of one of the groups on the side of the road.....

Up here in Lad pRao, from 15 through to BAng Kapi Mall, last year I might have seen one or two people chucking water from the side of the road but that's about it. My moobaan has none at all; would not even have known it was SongKran. Going towards central lad prao it increased a bit, but nothing much. My advice, go the the MRT and watch the direction everyone is going with their phones in plastic bags and then go the other direction.

There is really no safe area from the water and many of the tourist areas are hit the most with the exception of Cowboy (not sure about Nana). Soi Cowboy is a little road with few people there other than those looking for pleasure and those providing it.

Why not buy a squirt gun and enjoy the fun?

There is really no safe area from the water and many of the tourist areas are hit the most with the exception of Cowboy (not sure about Nana). Soi Cowboy is a little road with few people there other than those looking for pleasure and those providing it.

Because a squirt gun battle can be fun. But buckets of ice cold water and talcum powder splattered on your face and in your eyes are, in my opinion, pretty annoying. Moreover when it lasts for a week and you have to carefully plan your moves so the "fun" doesn't catch up with you when you're trying to go on with your life.

edit: I'm not saying that Thais should change the way they enjoy Songkran. I have nothing to say about that. But for me it's difficult to enjoy this kind of fun and therefore, like OP, I'm doing my best to avoid most of it (which is difficult if you can't fly out of the country)

Edited by jybkk

Because a squirt gun battle can be fun. But buckets of ice cold water and talcum powder splattered on your face and in your eyes are, in my opinion, pretty annoying. Moreover when it lasts for a week and you have to carefully plan your moves so the "fun" doesn't catch up with you when you're trying to go on with your life.

It lasts only 3-days in Bangkok and I certainly don't enjoy the ice water buckets stinging you like sharp needles but that is also part of the fun ... you need to try to avoid these folks and keep an eye on other people's reactions to know if they have ice water. Personally, I love this time and it is like being a kid again but I think it would be nice if it was limited to 1 day because there are certainly times we all are trying to get somewhere and don't want to play or be drenched on our way. 3-days. let alone longer in some places, is just too long and complicates getting normal things done.

But as for the OP, there are certain Sois and areas you will not want to go down and easy to spot. Other places you may just have to cross the street and keep your eyes open to avoid the 1-off groups throwing water .. watch for the pick-up trucks approaching with people in the back too. Cars and motorbikes may have squirt guns which should not bother you but it is the buckets you need to watch out for ... especially filled with ice .. unless you like that feeling of jumping into freezing water and not be able to breath for a few moments.

It lasts only 3-days in Bangkok and I certainly don't enjoy the ice water buckets stinging you like sharp needles but that is also part of the fun ... you need to try to avoid these folks and keep an eye on other people's reactions to know if they have ice water. Personally, I love this time and it is like being a kid again but I think it would be nice if it was limited to 1 day because there are certainly times we all are trying to get somewhere and don't want to play or be drenched on our way. 3-days. let alone longer in some places, is just too long and complicates getting normal things done.

I must admit I had fun the first time too. And it's not up to me to decide how people can have fun.

I just wish it was not "imposed" like this.

I also worry a bit as I see every year going a bit more "extreme". I'm really weary of excited crowds.

Last year we took a wrong turn and got stuck in Thanon On Nut during the festivities. It was dreadful and pretty much killed all the fun I had about Songkran. My thai friends who were in the car with us did not enjoy this either: teenagers zooming on modified motorcycle in the middle of a drenched street congested with kids and cars, young girls half naked, fights breaking up, lots of alcohol (and underage drinking). Our doors were locked and the hour it took us to get out of there felt really long. It was the first (and only) time in many years I felt unsafe in Thailand.

LOL there is nowhere safe during Songkran. The whole of sukhumvit resembles a war zone. I live by fortune and its just as bad along here and Rachada road! If you want to avoid the water then get out of thailand for a few days. Alternatively try Koh Lak or somewhere really small like that. Otherwise just join in and expect to get wet!! drunk.gif

Soi in your room.... Stay away from Pattaya for a week also....... They sling water for a week... To Crazy there and stupid...

Soi in your room.... Stay away from Pattaya for a week also....... They sling water for a week... To Crazy there and stupid...

And CM.

And CM.

Agreed Chiang Mai is even worse than BKK !!

Stay away! I always leave this time of year. One time I didn't I had a bucket of water poured over my head from behind even though I had made it to the restaurant in my car dry. Yes, inside the restaurant! This had very bad consequences...

Stay away! I always leave this time of year. One time I didn't I had a bucket of water poured over my head from behind even though I had made it to the restaurant in my car dry. Yes, inside the restaurant! This had very bad consequences...

What were these bad consequences: You caught a cold?

Got arrested for starting a fight?

Got arrested for starting a fight?

Pee'd yourself? or worse shat your pants?

Of course I am joking (hopefully) but I am sure it has happened. I could swear my heart stops for a moment when you get hit by surprise by bucket of freezing water. Amazing how you can walk around shivering in Bangkok's April heat.