Buying A Car On Tourist Visa?

cronus

I bought a motorbike here 2 years ago (proof of residence from immigration) and would like to buy a car now.

I remember that immigration asks for WHAT the proof of residence is required and they will specifically issue the document for this reason and mention this on the document (opening banking account, buying new or used motorbike/car etc... ....).

I see now that a non immigrant visa is required to buy a car, plus working permit OR proof of residence. Is it really not possible to register a car in my name without a Non Immigrant Visa? Is this depending on the province where the car would be registered?

-Who will check my visa? Immigration, eg they wont issue a proof of residence to buy a car. Or Department of Land and Transportation and they wont register a car in my name even I have the proof of residence?

I am living in Pattaya but would probably buy the car in Bangkok. Next question would be where I have to get the proof of residence certificate (Pattaya Immigration where I am living; or Bangkok where I am buying...).

Edited by cronus

If i remember correctly Pattaya DLT could be doable but not sure.

I'd register it in Pattaya if you live there. You have two options, get the address letter from Pattaya immigration or get one from your embassy in Bangkok. Although i'd assume Pattaya DLT is more familiar with the immigration document. In Bangkok the embassy letter is the norm.

But as said, someone with recent experience in Pattaya DLT will most likely be here shortly. Meanwhile there is lot of threads on this so you could browse them to see if there is recent reports.

Both Chonbury and BKK accept any kind of permit to stay including 14 day entrystamp, as long as it is supported by certificate of residence

It doesnt matter where you buy it, but I would have it registered where you actually live as required by law, and thus get CoR at that location

Both Chonbury and BKK accept any kind of permit to stay including 14 day entrystamp, as long as it is supported by certificate of residence

It doesnt matter where you buy it, but I would have it registered where you actually live as required by law, and thus get CoR at that location

How do you do that if the seller is located in Bangkok? Wouldn't you have to go to the DLT in Bangkok first to be registered as the owner, and then have the car transferred to Pattaya later? Is there a difference in procedure when buying out of province for a used versus a new car?Sophon

How do you do that if the seller is located in Bangkok? Wouldn't you have to go to the DLT in Bangkok first to be registered as the owner, and then have the car transferred to Pattaya later? Is there a difference in procedure when buying out of province for a used versus a new car?Sophon

secondhand in BKK, bring it with docs to Chonbury DLT and they have it transfered. takes 5 days, then inspect car and complete transfer. new local plate if desired

new in BKK, dealer can register in any Province by mail

Thanks. I will try to get CoR at Pattaya Immigration then.

secondhand in BKK, bring it with docs to Chonbury DLT and they have it transfered. takes 5 days, then inspect car and complete transfer. new local plate if desired

Secondhand (4 months old) in BKK from official Ford Dealer: Go to dealer, sign contract and hand over cash, then drive the car with BKK plates to Chonburi DLT and have it transfered and registered in my name by just showing them CoR from Pattaya Immigration. Within 5 days get local plates if desired or keep BKK plates and just pick up new documents for the car. Right?

Thanks, really appreciate.

As an inexperienced car buyer I am planning to go with the seller (if buying from a private party) to the DLT and not hand over any money until car and paperwork has been inspected. As far as I can see that wouldn't work with the process you describe. Isn't it possible to go with the seller to the DLT in the province where the car is registered and do the transfer to my home province later? Or would it be a problem that my residence documents would show that I live in another province?

Your advice is much appreciated, don't want to mess this up.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

Secondhand (4 months old) in BKK from official Ford Dealer: Go to dealer, sign contract and hand over cash, then drive the car with BKK plates to Chonburi DLT and have it transfered and registered in my name by just showing them CoR from Pattaya Immigration. Within 5 days get local plates if desired or keep BKK plates and just pick up new documents for the car. Right?

yep

but only as long as you trust seller. if not payment on transfer, which probably requires a BKK CoR thus from you embassy, and transfer in BKK with seller present, and payment at same time

hassle, so sometimes you just take a chance, no advice given on which model to choose, to both asking posters

but, complete deal 9am, drive to Chonbury DLT, present docs and transfer province form, and you are homesafe on docs, only car hasnt been inspected identity by DLT yet.

every payment with cashier check issued to reg owners name

yep

but only as long as you trust seller. if not payment on transfer, which probably requires a BKK CoR thus from you embassy, and transfer in BKK with seller present, and payment at same time

hassle, so sometimes you just take a chance, no advice given on which model to choose, to both asking posters

but, complete deal 9am, drive to Chonbury DLT, present docs and transfer province form, and you are homesafe on docs, only car hasnt been inspected identity by DLT yet.

every payment with cashier check issued to reg owners name

So it would be a problem going to the DLT in lets say Samut Prakan and have a car (registered there) transferred to my name, because my yellow tabien bahn shows that I am living in Bangkok?

Sorry if I am being dense.

Sophon

CoR of my embassy because BKK DLT might not accept my CoR issued by Chonburi Immigration?

Will DLT check if I have insurance? If I buy secondhand in BKK I might not have insurance when driving home to Chonburi and registering at DLT...

Thinking about registering in BKK in my Thai Friends name with seller present and then registering in my name back home in Chonburi... How much does it cost to register a car?

"but, complete deal 9am, drive to Chonbury DLT, present docs and transfer province form, and you are homesafe on docs, only car hasnt been inspected identity by DLT yet"

I will have to go back to DLT for identity check? They check identity before handing over new plates or documents?

"but, complete deal 9am, drive to Chonbury DLT, present docs and transfer province form, and you are homesafe on docs, only car hasnt been inspected identity by DLT yet"

I will have to go back to DLT for identity check? They check identity before handing over new plates or documents?

identity is checked by new DLT when file is transfered from old DLT, transfer can take up to 5 days

I have no recent experience if DLT accepts out of province CoR or yellow tabien baan, anyone else?