African Grey Parrot

I know there used to be a pet forum, but I'm using the TV app on my iPad and can't find it, so excuse me. Mods can move it.

Does anyone know a ballpark figure on an African Grey at the JJ market?

I haven't been to the market in over two years and have no idea the price range.

Thanks in advance.

When making a choice for a parrot I would like to remind everyone that they are animals which get very old, up to 80 years and they are animals which need a partner. They do suffer from being kept alone and especially African Greys tend to suffer when not kept in ideal conditions and pluck their feathers. Please, do your due diligence before making a commitment to these beautiful and sensible animals.

African-Grey-Feather-Plucking.jpg

• Like 1

I've actually decided to keep raising Jambul's. I'll probably only live another 20 yrs, and given the exceptional lifespan, I don't think it wise.

Thanks

You might want to consider a rescue parrot. 20 years of a quality life to one of these special birds would be a real gift.

Keep in mind, a grey is like any of the really intelligent species in that they take a long time to mature. In effect you have a helpless baby for a long time. I don't think mine fully matured until they were 5-7 years old. So if you get a just weaned bird you'll have years of being a parent. This has it's good and bad points, but adopting a rescue parrot.. you can have it all and do a good thing at the same time.

To answer your questions, baht 10,000-15,000..

Thanks. Wonderful suggestion. I'll look into that. Never had considered it before.

Again. Thanks.

You might want to consider posting a thread now and then or running and ad to find one who needs a home. Unfortunately many buy parrots while living here, and then discover they can't get them back to their western country because of CITES restrictions and especially because of Avian Flu restrictions. I'm sure these owners would really appreciate finding a loving and good home for their pets.

• 2 weeks later...

For sure never buy any animals/birds in Chatucak , it is only to cry (enough good farms)

In Phu Wiang (Isaan) is a good farm, but you can buy Grey's also in Khonkaen in the Campus (3 months 12.000/15000 Baht) (Near MaliwanRoad)

A other Farm:

http://www.mpbirdfar...s/index_eng.php

If you are In SuanPalmFarmNok (bird farm "Chachergsao) have a look in "Khaokhean Open Zoo" (Chonburi) it has a big Walk in Avairy.

You find a other Big walk in Aviary In Khonkaen "Khao Suan Kwang Zoo"

And thanks to BangkokImages jap.gif

Anyhow look also to my Topic

http://www.thaivisa....__fromsearch__1

DSC01048.JPG

Thanks. I don't mind buying at the market. We seldom come to the city and really like the wide variety of animals there. Even if not buying it is fun to look.

I've decided against the Grey. As much as I really, really want one. After consideration I can't devote the attention it requires.

Thanks to everyone who posted. Great source of information by really knowledgable people. Thanks.