Swiss Billionaire, Belgian Baron Get 16 Years For Asbestos Deaths

webfact

Billionaire, baron get 16 years for asbestos deaths

ITALY: -- A Swiss billionaire and a Belgian baron have been found guilty and sentenced to 16 years each in prison by an Italian court in a groundbreaking trial over 3,000 alleged asbestos-related deaths.

Stephan Schmidheiny, the former owner of a company making Eternit fibre cement, and Jean-Louis Marie Ghislain de Cartier de Marchienne, a major shareholder, were sentenced in absentia after being found guilty of causing an environmental disaster and failing to comply with safety regulations.

The verdict, handed down overnight after a two-year trial, was greeted with jubilation by anti-asbestos campaigners around the world.

Through a network of subsidiaries and affiliates, Eternit became the largest manufacturer of asbestos cement products in the world.

But along with the tremendous fortunes the companies generated for their owners came death and disease for thousands of employees, families and neighbours.

The company was founded more than a century ago by descendant of de Cartier.

Its Swiss offshoot was owned by the Schmidheiny family whose heir, Stephan, was also sentenced.

Full story: http://www.abc.net.a...04?WT.svl=news1

-- abc.net.au 2012-02-14

footer_n.gif

I anticipate that this will be overturned on the basis of the applicable law. The operations were legal.

If the Italians spent as much time on straightening out their mess of an economy as they do on frivilous court cases, the country wouldn't be teetering on financial collapse.

• Like 1

I anticipate that this will be overturned on the basis of the applicable law. The operations were legal.

If the Italians spent as much time on straightening out their mess of an economy as they do on frivilous court cases, the country wouldn't be teetering on financial collapse.

Wile I agree with your sentiments concerning Italy, I am not sure that in this particular case, trying to find those responsible for 3000 deaths could be described as frivolous. The court has clearly established the two Aristocrats to be culpable in that they would have known the effects of their 'product'. Why, one rather large nation went to war in recent years over the deaths of 3000 of its citizens, and lets be fair, as far as the victims are concerned, the manner of death is irrelevant, the fact is they were all killed before their time and I am sure they would all like justice however it is handed out, be that a war or a judicial ruling for a prison term for those responsible.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

Wile I agree with your sentiments concerning Italy, I am not sure that in this particular case, trying to find those responsible for 3000 deaths could be described as frivolous. The court has clearly established the two Aristocrats to be culpable in that they would have known the effects of their 'product'. Why, one rather large nation went to war in recent years over the deaths of 3000 of its citizens, and lets be fair, as far as the victims are concerned, the manner of death is irrelevant, the fact is they were all killed before their time and I am sure they would all like justice however it is handed out, be that a war or a judicial ruling for a prison term for those responsible.

i Lived about 25 years almost next to the factory in Belgium then they close it when study's came on hand that enterrnit causes cancer, i only say stupid to jail some men for just giving the region work, you have to jail contractors, building organisations and a lot more as 90% of governement buildings in Belgium are full with asbestos tomorrow you can go to jail for making sigaret, sure that's why the euro going down stupid narrow minded Europe. I am so happy here

A company's operations may be "legal" in a narrow technical sense, but when management is proven to have full awareness that their operations will result in preventable harm, especially human illness and death on a large scale, then the wider "common law/common sense" aspects of the law, as determined just as much by the judiciary as by pre-written legislation come into the picture.

It's high time that the modern "corporate aristocracy" were held accountable for decisions that put short term profits ahead of the public's interest, they have been operating above the law, "too big to charge" for too long. Mere financial penalties aren't enough of a disincentive, only jail time among the hoi polloi will really deter white-collar criminals.

What's next? Jail for the Canadian company executives that legally sell their asbestos to India?

Russia, China and Brazil are the world's 3 largest producers of asbestos. Their asbestos trickles into western countries, but no one says anything. The asbestos processed in the EU and Canada was minimal compared to what is churned out by the aforementioned Big 3. There are protests going on in canada demanding the remaining mine in an economically deprived region be closed. Yet, no one says anything about Russia, China and Brazil, or India's large asbestos processing plants. Go figger.

I seriously doubt the families and loved ones of the dead and suffering would consider this situation frivolous.

The everybody loves Canada, is exporting asbestos as if it is cotton candy.

"In 1997, Canada exported 430,000 tonnes of asbestos - more than 96% of production - most of it to the developing world. Canada is the world's second-largest exporter of asbestos after Russia."

http://www.twnside.org.sg/title/deadly-cn.htm

Edited by z12

"In 1997, Canada exported 430,000 tonnes of asbestos - more than 96% of production - most of it to the developing world. Canada is the world's second-largest exporter of asbestos after Russia."

http://www.twnside.o...e/deadly-cn.htm

The kid is trying to protect Canadian interests. I have no problem with them making asbestos but if they have bad safety and employees get killed because of it. Then yes jail them. If you know something is bad for the employees and you don't put some measures in place then yes your accountable.

http://www.twnside.o...e/deadly-cn.htm

The kid is trying to protect Canadian interests. I have no problem with them making asbestos but if they have bad safety and employees get killed because of it. Then yes jail them. If you know something is bad for the employees and you don't put some measures in place then yes your accountable.

The tin CANs are exporting it, it is illegal to use it in CAN land. They are knowingly exporting death in the form of asbestos.

Edited by z12
  • Like 1

You have all the details of the case, do you?

I use this news to put my question about absestos here in thailand. To your knowledge is it true that roofs eternit-like construction materials here are absestos free? I heard that are made by cellulose but would like to have some confirmations.

"Many companies that produced asbestos-cement products that were reinforced with asbestos fibers have developed products incorporating organic fibers. One such product was known as Eternit and another "Everite" now use "Nutec" fibers which consist of organic fibers, portland cement and silica. Cement-bonded wood fiber is another substitute."

"Some developing countries, such as India and China, and also Russia, have continued widespread use of asbestos. The most common is corrugated asbestos-cement sheets or "A/C Sheets" for roofing and for side walls. Millions of homes, factories, schools or sheds and shelters continue to use asbestos. Cutting these sheets to size and drilling holes to receive 'J' bolts to help secure the sheets to roof framing is done on-site. There has been no significant change in production and use of A/C Sheets in developing countries following the widespread restrictions in developed nations."

From Wikipedia.

You have all the details of the case, do you?

The case has been going on since 20089 and is quite "famous" because it hinges on para-occupational exposure injury. It has been written up in multiple journals. The Italian case will come undone because it sidestepped some key issues such as the operations were legal and were under the supervison of various government agencies that did not intervene at the time of the alleged injuries. Pinning the blame on these 2 allows alot of people to avoid taking responsibility.