Finding A House/Area To Live In Chiangmai...Help Please

intrepidexpat

We are a family of 5 relocating to Chiangmai at the end of June. I came for a look at the weekend and saw a few houses on compounds within reach of LIST but I'm wondering if choosing a compound is the right way to go as I don't want to feel isolated.

We currently live in Shanghai on a compound where the kids can ride around on their bikes and go to their friends houses in relative safety so I thought I'd look for the same in Chiangmai, but I get the feeling that if we choose the wrong compound then we may feel like we have lost our social life and are cut off. Where we are now is within walking distance of a busy expat food street, mini supermarket, foot massage palace, hairdressers, shopping etc.....and I didn't see that near any of the compounds.

Are there any places anyone can recommend for my next trip to look at?

Should we be living nearer the city and if so where?...and could it be within reach of the school? (i.e 15mins drive to LIST.)

I'm looking for a big house (350 sq.m +) with a private pool and at least 4 upstairs bedrooms. From what I saw I think we are looking to pay 80-100,000 Baht per month.

I've been in touch with Mitchai Property and Chiangmai Property companies. Are there any others I need to contact?

Other info:

-our kids are 11, 9 and 7 (really want to live near to kids of a similar age so they can have playdates)

so any help with suggestions on the above is appreciated x

Lanna Tara Moo Baan on the road from the Hang Dong Road to the Canal Road and then the night Safari fits your purposes 100%.

I am here with my 12 year old and many kids cycle around and play in quite high safety. Many houses are rented out to USA diplomats which means the security here, with its own police office, is relatively high. PM me if you want more info.

• Like 1

Both World Club and Kunlaphan Village are extremely close to Lanna, both off the 108 Hang Dong Rd, and easily have the greatest number of kids riding there bikes around and socializing I have seen. Finding a house to fit you needs may be tough in these Moo baans, though I have considered moving to one of these Moo Baans just for my son's benefit.

Lanna Tara Moo baan is very nice, and from my short experience visiting a friend there in the evenings it is certainly quiet.

• Like 1

Lanna Tara Moo Baan on the road from the Hang Dong Road to the Canal Road and then the night Safari fits your purposes 100%.

I am here with my 12 year old and many kids cycle around and play in quite high safety. Many houses are rented out to USA diplomats which means the security here, with its own police office, is relatively high. PM me if you want more info.

thanks for the reply...I would like us all to have friends around so I will check out this compound on my next trip. If you have any other advise I would appreciate it. Edited by onthedarkside
Sorry, email address not allowed on the board

Both World Club and Kunlaphan Village are extremely close to Lanna, both off the 108 Hang Dong Rd, and easily have the greatest number of kids riding there bikes around and socializing I have seen. Finding a house to fit you needs may be tough in these Moo baans, though I have considered moving to one of these Moo Baans just for my son's benefit.

Lanna Tara Moo baan is very nice, and from my short experience visiting a friend there in the evenings it is certainly quiet.

It may be quiet but thats my concern...there is nothing around there, so where do you go for lunch, evening drinks etc?

It would be nice for the kids to be able to go to friends houses and bike around in relative safety but I felt like the compounds I saw had nothing around...so could it be a bit like 'the Trueman show'..ha ha.

I'm wondering if we should consider a house nearer to the centre with some street life, shopping, restaurants to pop out to? After living in Shanghai for the last 8 years Chiangmai seems relaxed and quiet in comparison, so are there areas that are nice to live in nearer the centre?

I'm still going to look around more compounds so any advise on moving to Chiangmai would be great. Where do the expats hangout?

It would be nice for the kids to be able to go to friends houses and bike around in relative safety but I felt like the compounds I saw had nothing around...so could it be a bit like 'the Trueman show'..ha ha.

Yes, exactly like the Truman Show. Note however that the place he lived was very safe and didn't have to worry about kids being run over by cars or motorbikes or bitten by stray dogs..

I'm wondering if we should consider a house nearer to the centre with some street life, shopping, restaurants to pop out to?

I know of a place that is VERY in town, can walk to Rim Ping supermarket, regular Thai markets and also Thapae Road and the Night Bazar area downtown, however there it becomes harder to rent a big, detached house with 3 or more bedrooms for a reasonable price. (Expect 12,000 baht; 2 bedroom town house which is not big enough for a family; more suited to a couple or single person wanting to live in a central downtown location)

After living in Shanghai for the last 8 years Chiangmai seems relaxed and quiet in comparison, so are there areas that are nice to live in nearer the centre?

There are some developments on the ring road.. still not walking distance to downtown, but you're then in between LIST and the town center. Rents will be higher there, too.

Where do the expats hangout?

Depends very much on individual taste. But I think it's fair to say that popular areas include the old town area within the moat, the area between the moat and the river, along the river / riverside-area and Nimmanhaemin Road / CMU area.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

One more thought: BECAUSE Chiang Mai is so much smaller/quieter than Shanghai, it's probably not a super hard requirement anymore to be super close to LIST; you can get anywhere fairly quicly with a car or motorbike. That wouldn't be the case in huge cities like Shanghai or Bangkok.

• Like 1

Yes, this moo bahn and others like it are very quiet in the evenings. The choice is this kind of area, relatively safe and hassle free, or living in an open village where there is a lot of noise, dogs, drunks, parties, baring loudspeakers and so on. As for going out during the day/evening it really depends on who you are, what you do, work schedule and so on. I am retired, I go out cycling every morning (up to 160km), lunch at home or locally - plenty of places; I'm not into a wild night life so Pim and I are at home just as we would be in the UK. I spend some time doing internet stuff (writing, designing and so on), we have a pool table at home, or we go to the cinema; Pim likes walking around evening markets so we do that. My son likes bowling and he'll be back from UK boarding school in July so a bit of that, I think, and occasionally go out to listen to music. I'm not greatly fond of alcohol so no bars, but I like to cook so friends come over and the wine is cracked. Life is slow in Chiang Mai zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! Some weekends we drive off and explore the north, driving down tracks, meeting villagers and staying in little gurst houses. But you are welcome to contact me if you come over and have a look. There are a few places to rent here and some for sale.

• Like 1

Also be aware that the main Hang-Dong road gets very busy/slow at times.

As do all major roads in/out of town. In the Hang Dong area (in some places) you at least have two options to get into town: The Hang Dong Road and the Canal Road. (and first along the Middle Ring, then along the river)

• Like 1

Yes, this moo bahn and others like it are very quiet in the evenings. The choice is this kind of area, relatively safe and hassle free, or living in an open village where there is a lot of noise, dogs, drunks, parties, baring loudspeakers and so on. As for going out during the day/evening it really depends on who you are, what you do, work schedule and so on. I am retired, I go out cycling every morning (up to 160km), lunch at home or locally - plenty of places; I'm not into a wild night life so Pim and I are at home just as we would be in the UK. I spend some time doing internet stuff (writing, designing and so on), we have a pool table at home, or we go to the cinema; Pim likes walking around evening markets so we do that. My son likes bowling and he'll be back from UK boarding school in July so a bit of that, I think, and occasionally go out to listen to music. I'm not greatly fond of alcohol so no bars, but I like to cook so friends come over and the wine is cracked. Life is slow in Chiang Mai zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! Some weekends we drive off and explore the north, driving down tracks, meeting villagers and staying in little gurst houses. But you are welcome to contact me if you come over and have a look. There are a few places to rent here and some for sale.

Thanks for your message. I think it may take me a while to de-stress from Shanghai, but that will probably be good for us. I don't think I'll be biking 160km each morning but I'm impressed you can! I like the idea of staying in 'gurst houses'...is that a local term? (or do you mean guest houses?) I've just learnt the term moo baan too so I'm almost fluent. It's very nice that they are friendly people with good advise...thank-you (and yes we would love to come over for dinner- we'll bring the wine ha ha) Heather

Moved from CM events & news forum. Might get more response in the general CM forum.

can I move this to general CM forum or do I copy and paste the original message and put it as a new topic?....sorry I'm not use to this form of communication

Mods have already done it for you.

You also have Ban Wantan not far - cheaper houses and many expats. Lots of soi dogs though (soi dog literally means street dog, some are strays and some are latch-door-dogs - i.e. their owners feed them, but other than that they live on the road). You might want to check that withh any moo bahn, some have roving packs of barking dogs that scare the bajebas out of my girls. They rarely are aggressive, but chase cars and bark at people - so can be frightening.

Most schools have school buses (of varying degrees - some in pickup, temple schools mainly, some in songtaews and some in mini-vans with aircon etc) - Lanna will have the aircon mini-vans I'd guess. They will have to be paid for, but will allow you door to door pickup/dropoff from many places. Check with the school as to locations they pick up from - this will extend your domicile search area. Note though, that some routes can significantly add to the school day - with an hour or so each way on popular routes (with many stops).

• Like 1

Moved from CM events & news forum. Might get more response in the general CM forum.

can I move this to general CM forum or do I copy and paste the original message and put it as a new topic?....sorry I'm not use to this form of communication

The Mod has moved it already.

Just my thought, but before you get all walled up, you and your kids might have a better experience by living in Thailand rather than the easier western ghettos.

• Like 1

Thanks for your message. I think it may take me a while to de-stress from Shanghai, but that will probably be good for us. I don't think I'll be biking 160km each morning but I'm impressed you can! I like the idea of staying in 'gurst houses'...is that a local term? (or do you mean guest houses?) I've just learnt the term moo baan too so I'm almost fluent. It's very nice that they are friendly people with good advise...thank-you (and yes we would love to come over for dinner- we'll bring the wine ha ha) Heather

Hi Heather:

I quite often pull people up for spelling mistakes, but being a two-finger typist this was definately a mis-hit not an attempt at redefining Guest houses! Talk about cooking, I've spent all day cooking today (and part of yesterday) for friends that are coming over tonight. Make that fiends! Cheaper to go to a restaurant.

• Like 1

Hi Heather:

I quite often pull people up for spelling mistakes, but being a two-finger typist this was definately a mis-hit not an attempt at redefining Guest houses! Talk about cooking, I've spent all day cooking today (and part of yesterday) for friends that are coming over tonight. Make that fiends! Cheaper to go to a restaurant.

Sorry I wasn't teasing you I'm just hearing lots of new words at the moment...the latest one is 'soi dogs'. Have fun at your dinner party.