3 Foreigners Injured In Bangkok Bomb Explosion

webfact

Nisa

yes it's for real and so is his accent.

I don't understand why guys would assemble 4000Kg of explosives and then go out on an unplanned, ill thought through attack with three weapons the size of hand grenades, there bye blowing the cover on doing something of major significance.

I imagine the plan didn't entail going out in an unplanned attack. Much more likely that the plan entailed going out on a planned and coordinated attack against a specific target.

What their plan clearly didn't include was accidentally detonating explosives in the home, instantly throwing everything into disarray.

“All plans for the battle go out the window after the first bullet is fired!”

Edited by z12

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is exactly what the good American has been warning about. Get it.

@sparebox2. Since your little slogan says you are not a "Farang" and that you wouldn't want to be, you are then most likely not educated, or enlightened, enough to know that statement is a racist statement and thereby discredits pretty much anything you would ever say in a forum mostly used by Farang. In fact, presuming that slogan suggests you are Asian, any good, morally adjusted Asian person would also be offended. Maybe you should just stick with your "own kind"...racists that is.

I also find his nic xenophobic and childish but your comment regarding education and enlightenment, equally so. Edited by chinook

Do a google on Thailand Explosions and you will see a good assortment of credible international news reports of these explosions in Bangkok, Thailand. report consensus is clearly that the "bombers" were Iranian, and had lived in Bangkok and also that they used hand grenades. Israeli intelligence indicates that they were targeting high profile targets in Bangkok such as the Israeli embassy and a synangogue as well as other targets where there would be a high concentration of Americans and Israelis as well as other foreigners.

Are you suggesting that the news is reporting that Israel knew about these terrorist suspects before this incident and knew their targets? One thing you can almost be assured of is that any statements from Israel at this point are not credible and simply political. They may turn out to be true but they may very well turn out to be untrue .. especially any ties these morons had to the Iran government.

No suggestion intended. It's nice to be "just a facts" person. The three men involved are Iranian, two captured or killed and one escaped on a plane out of Thailand before the Thai authorities could respond to securing exit points. If you want to allow yourself to formulate scenarios, the possibilities are unlimited. Iran is a relative newcomer to foreign urban bombing terror and not as "organized" or tracked as fervently as other arab groups by Isareali Mossad and US CIA/NSA simply because they haven't been organized well. If one were to "speculate" further, you could logically assume that Mossad and maybe the US intelligence was aware of Iranians in Thailand.

It is a fact that one of the Iranians lived in a house in the district in Bangkok and that his house was damaged by a prematurely exploded hand grenade. To me, the Iranians are a big concern because they have nothing to lose. That's the group that is always most feared. The ones who have nothing to lose. Some posts indicated a point of view that problems between Israel and the US with Iran are " not Thailand's concern." This is a very risky path for Thailand to follow, particularly since civil war has been raging between Thais and Malay Thai muslims in the south for years and just today, news of another bombing and the killing of two "Malay tourists" who would be added to the overall approximate 6,000 dead toll.

not such a newcomer, http://www.iranterro...ent/view/38/56/

Edited by z12

Do a google on Thailand Explosions and you will see a good assortment of credible international news reports of these explosions in Bangkok, Thailand. report consensus is clearly that the "bombers" were Iranian, and had lived in Bangkok and also that they used hand grenades. Israeli intelligence indicates that they were targeting high profile targets in Bangkok such as the Israeli embassy and a synangogue as well as other targets where there would be a high concentration of Americans and Israelis as well as other foreigners.

Are you suggesting that the news is reporting that Israel knew about these terrorist suspects before this incident and knew their targets? One thing you can almost be assured of is that any statements from Israel at this point are not credible and simply political. They may turn out to be true but they may very well turn out to be untrue .. especially any ties these morons had to the Iran government.

No suggestion intended. It's nice to be "just a facts" person. The three men involved are Iranian, two captured or killed and one escaped on a plane out of Thailand before the Thai authorities could respond to securing exit points. If you want to allow yourself to formulate scenarios, the possibilities are unlimited. Iran is a relative newcomer to foreign urban bombing terror and not as "organized" or tracked as fervently as other arab groups by Isareali Mossad and US CIA/NSA simply because they haven't been organized well. If one were to "speculate" further, you could logically assume that Mossad and maybe the US intelligence was aware of Iranians in Thailand.

It is a fact that one of the Iranians lived in a house in the district in Bangkok and that his house was damaged by a prematurely exploded hand grenade. To me, the Iranians are a big concern because they have nothing to lose. That's the group that is always most feared. The ones who have nothing to lose. Some posts indicated a point of view that problems between Israel and the US with Iran are " not Thailand's concern." This is a very risky path for Thailand to follow, particularly since civil war has been raging between Thais and Malay Thai muslims in the south for years and just today, news of another bombing and the killing of two "Malay tourists" who would be added to the overall approximate 6,000 dead toll.

I think it is a leap at this point to say Iran was behind this. Extremists come from many different countries and often don't represent their government. Weren't the vast majority of 9/11 hijackers from Saudi Arabia? And has their been confirmation they know the identity of the person who is still at large let alone his nationality?

I also think is a leap at this point for anybody to believe that Israel knew of these people were in Thailand before this incident as well as knowing they planned on attacking certain targets because that would mean they didn't tell Thai authorities who are still trying to determine what they were doing here and would have had these folks names and pictures at every check-point in the country.

As for Iran being a new comer to Terrorism in the eyes of the US and Israel ... they have been calling them the biggest supporter of terror for decades now.

Edited by Nisa

I also think is a leap at this point for anybody to believe that Israel knew of these people were in Thailand before this incident as well as knowing they planned on attacking certain targets because that would mean they didn't tell Thai authorities who are still trying to determine what they were doing here and would have had these folks names and pictures at every check-point in the country.

Didn't Israel warn the Thai government back in December of last year about something along these lines? Or do you think these guys just came here last week?

Didn't Israel warn the Thai government back in December of last year about something along these lines? Or do you think these guys just came here last week?

I don't know ... did they? Do you have a link? I'd be interested in seeing what their warning indicated. I know last month the US put out a fairly vague warning to Americans (not Israelis) regarding tourist spots (not Jew or Israel based locations) right before the Thai police apprehended a suspected terrorist.

If the US or Israel knew the identity of these suspected terrorists and knew they were in Thailand and didn't provide their specific identities to Thai authorities then this would be very bad for them. If they did provide the info then Thai authorities I believe would be quick to say they were part of a suspected terrorist group aimed at ____ (fill in the blank) and not be saying right now they don't know what these folks were up to besides the fact they were making bombs for unknown targets.

Edited by Nisa

I don't know ... did they? Do you have a link? I'd be interested in seeing what their warning indicated. I know last month the US put out a fairly vague warning right before the Thai police apprehended somebody.

http://www.haaretz.c...angkok-1.407210

was just the first to come up in my google search. I'm sure you can find more as I first read about it on TV when the US issued the warning. It came out that Israel was the one that alerted the US as well as the Thai authorities back in December that people they were watching had entered the country and were planning bad things.

here you go

http://www.reuters.c...E80D0DG20120114

A Thai defence ministry source said Israeli intelligence had contacted Thai officials on December 22 with information that two or three suspects could be planning an attack in Thailand. However, the individuals travelled to the south and left the country.

The Israelis alerted Thai officials again on January 8 to the danger of an attack around January 13 to 15 in areas where there are often large concentrations of Western tourists.

The arrest was made after the second Israeli warning, the source said, adding that security officials were working closely with the United States and Israel.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

on Google map the house is 2.5 km from Sukhumvit / Soi 71

so did the bomber with blood all over him walk up Soi 71 to Sukhumvit ?

Did no one see him ,and called the police ?

Again BKK was lucky that these guys are NOT well trained , the C4 would have blown up a good sized building ,

Any connection yet with the other stash of explosives last month ?

And there is still one guy out there of this bunch , if he did not get away already !

Stay Safe

if they really had c4, there would have been nothing left of that shack.! think about it or google it. it would have been matchsticks and cement powder

C4 is really hard to detonate by accident, even by another explosion. Most likely the explosion in their home was the result of some other explosive that they were in the process of manufacturing or device that was being configured.

The American TV show Mythbusters have done a number of episodes where they've tried to cause C4 to detonate using something other than the proper detonator, and almost all have failed. That includes setting it on fire, dropping heavy objects on it, shooting it with rifles, etc.

I don't know ... did they? Do you have a link? I'd be interested in seeing what their warning indicated. I know last month the US put out a fairly vague warning right before the Thai police apprehended somebody.

was just the first to come up in my google search. I'm sure you can find more as I first read about it on TV when the US issued the warning. It came out that Israel was the one that alerted the US as well as the Thai authorities back in December that people they were watching had entered the country and were planning bad things.

here you go

Thanks - after I asked I did some Google searches myself and found the Israel ties. As these plays out, I am wondering if it will turn out they were already under surveillance. How often do you see an actual Thai police vehicle (not a motorbike) like the one shown in the photo that was damaged in the bomb blast? And this one just happened to be in the neighborhood when the house blew up and this guy ran out? If we are to give any credibility to the Israel statements right now then it would seem they did know the identity of these guys before hand ... even they know every terrorist group and every plot is not against them ... at least there is like a 50/50 shot it would be against Americans ;-)

if they really had c4, there would have been nothing left of that shack.! think about it or google it. it would have been matchsticks and cement powder

C4 is really hard to detonate by accident, even by another explosion. Most likely the explosion in their home was the result of some other explosive that they were in the process of manufacturing or device that was being configured.

The American TV show Mythbusters have done a number of episodes where they've tried to cause C4 to detonate using something other than the proper detonator, and almost all have failed. That includes setting it on fire, dropping heavy objects on it, shooting it with rifles, etc.

I am no bomb or C4 expert but they say the guy had two radios in his hands when he ran out of the house. Then he throws one bomb (have to assume a bomb inside the radio) at the taxi and the other at the cops. These sound like grenade type bombs which one would not plant somewhere nor would one use them in a suicide mission. Clearly they also were not all that destructive either but would be in an enclosed place like a subway car but then why make them be grenade type bombs that need to be impacted?

My point is, I am still wondering what their target could have been and why not have larger bombs that are on a timer or can be triggered remotely or by switch. What were they going to throw these at??? I'm sure it happens that a terrorist or radical has access to a grenade and throws it into a crowd ... but I am not sure there are incidents where terrorists have C4 and choose to make a grenade instead of a more effect bomb.

I am no bomb or C4 expert but they say the guy had two radios in his hands when he ran out of the house. Then he throws one bomb (have to assume a bomb inside the radio) at the taxi and the other at the cops. These sound like grenade type bombs which one would not plant somewhere nor would one use them in a suicide mission. Clearly they also were not all that destructive either but would be in an enclosed place like a subway car but then why make them be grenade type bombs that need to be impacted?

My point is, I am still wondering what their target could have been and why not have larger bombs that are on a timer or can be triggered remotely or by switch. What were they going to throw these at??? I'm sure it happens that a terrorist or radical has access to a grenade and throws it into a crowd ... but I am not sure there are incidents where terrorists have C4 and choose to make a grenade instead of a more effect bomb.

I don't think the way it played out today was the plan. Instead it looks like something went wrong and these guys were fleeing. We don't really know what the true plan was/is and can only hope that this will be the end of it.

I just don't understand why Iran would be attacking Thailand, or even why the guy would have Iranian coins in his pocket in Bangkok. I smell a CIA/Mossad plot!

The report says Thai currency, US currency, and Iranian currency was found on the man with no legs. Not sure how you jump to the "CIA/Mossad plot". And in case you didn't see the video.. his pants were found up in a tree.

Edited by Jayman

" I don't think the way it played out today was the plan. Instead it looks like something went wrong and these guys were fleeing. We don't really know what the true plan was/is and can only hope that this will be the end of it. "

I agree , these guys were just getting away from the house because they knew the police would be coming,

Fleeing to fight another day ,

BK

I just don't understand why Iran would be attacking Thailand, or even why the guy would have Iranian coins in his pocket in Bangkok. I smell a CIA/Mossad plot!

I smell a lack of basic understanding of what is going in. They weren't "attacking Thailand" obviously anymore than the Iranian attack on Israeli targets in India was an attack on India. Duh!
  • Like 2

Buy the time the politicians and media get through with this, no mention of "terrorist" will be found. Simply a man of "Middle Eastern appearance" was annoyed at being refused a taxi, so he decided to lob a couple of grenades. That's understandable, as everyone knows grenades are a "standard necessity" for all tourists. This will be twisted and turned so many ways that the actual truth will probably never be known. But the sure things you can count on is Chalerm reassuring that there is no possible threat of terrorists or terrorism in Thailand, thanks to the excellent security forces here and, this incident will in no way affect tourism. In fact, numbers will be up, I guarantee it, according to TAT.

You forgot "Police announce crackdown on violence against metered taxis and the sale of illicit grenades at markets in the Sukumvit area"

I smell a lack of basic understanding of what is going in. They weren't "attacking Thailand" obviously anymore than the Iranian attack on Israeli targets in India was an attack on India. Duh!

It would appear they are picking countries where it is easier to operate and less developed with the understanding there are still plenty of Israel and US targets to attack.

not such a newcomer, http://www.iranterro...ent/view/38/56/

"Foreign urban terror" -

It would appear they are picking countries where it is easier to operate and less developed with the understanding there are still plenty of Israel and US targets to attack.

Hezbollah/Iran has been operating in Thailand for many years now. Generally not to organize attacks in Thailand but for other externally motivated purposes. Iran is right now at a critical time politically and economically where major change and/or larger wars may happen. Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I don't think the way it played out today was the plan. Instead it looks like something went wrong and these guys were fleeing. We don't really know what the true plan was/is and can only hope that this will be the end of it.

The report says Thai currency, US currency, and Iranian currency was found on the man with no legs. Not sure how you jump to the "CIA/Mossad plot". And in case you didn't see the video.. his pants were found up in a tree.

no doubt it didn't play out as planned but the bombs appear to have been made to be used as grenades and not too powerful at that ... I find that odd for a terrorist plot. I would even guess it is harder to make C4 detonate on impact than on a timer or switch.

If he had Iranian and US currency in his pocket then it sounds like he "may" not have been in the country too long or was prepared to flee or leave the country soon.

no doubt it didn't play out as planned but the bombs appear to have been made to be used as grenades and not too powerful at that ... I find that odd for a terrorist plot. I would even guess it is harder to make C4 detonate on impact than on a timer or switch.

If he had Iranian and US currency in his pocket then it sounds like he "may" not have been in the country too long or was prepared to flee or leave the country soon.

I believe he was in the process of fleeing. It also hasn't been confirmed anywhere that I've seen that what blew off his legs was C4. Perhaps they also had hand grenades?

Also.. and this is kinda off topic but didn't the stuff in bali happen from hand grenades? Could be more than one part of their plan. Honestly I have no idea as it's all speculation for sure.

Edited by Jayman

A story on Drudge says there was an explosion in the bombers home and 2 men fled.

A taxi refused to let one of the bloodied men in so he threw a grenade/bomb into the taxi.

When police pursued him he threw a grenade/bomb at them but it bounced off a tree and blew his leg off. The second leg was removed at the hospital. The story claims the man had Iranian ID on him.

A story on Drudge says there was an explosion in the bombers home and 2 men fled.

A taxi refused to let one of the bloodied men in so he threw a grenade/bomb into the taxi.

When police pursued him he threw a grenade/bomb at them but it bounced off a tree and blew his leg off. The second leg was removed at the hospital. The story claims the man had Iranian ID on him.

Have you seen the youtube video of the man on the ground with no legs? I saw that before I read the more official reports that he only blew one leg off and the other was removed at the hospital. It makes me seriously question all that we are reading/hearing from officials and the press.

WARNING.. VERY GRAPHIC

http://youtu.be/mnuv81ngoAI

Edited by Jayman

Hezbollah/Iran has been operating in Thailand for many years now. Generally not to organize attacks in Thailand but for other externally motivated purposes. Iran is right now at a critical time politically and economically where major change and/or larger wars may happen.

At this point it is highly speculative and actually a bit illogical to assume Iran has anything to do with this. Hezbollah is not Iran and is not even Iran based regardless of what Israel wants people to believe. It is a based in Lebanon and always has been. The only ties to Iran is the accusation that Iran provides financial support as does Syria as well as Muslims in general who provide most of its funding. It is a terrorist group whose main goal is/was ridding Lebanon of Israelis and Israeli influence ... though they seemed to have expanded this to wanting to see Israel wiped off the map. Their purpose is not to serve Iran and Iran's suspected support is due to believing in their extreme Islamic cause and not because Iran pulls their strings. By no means is Hezbollah a political tool of Iran but it does follow the extreme Islamic teachings of the late Ayatollah Khomeini.

Have you seen the youtube video of the man on the ground with no legs? I saw that before I read the more official reports that he only blew one leg off and the other was removed at the hospital. It makes me seriously question all that we are reading/hearing from officials and the press.

WARNING.. VERY GRAPHIC

http://youtu.be/mnuv81ngoAI

that's often the case with "news just in" stories... details can be sketchy at first due to secondhand information.

to link that to any kind of conspiracy is a big stretch

I believe he was in the process of fleeing. It also hasn't been confirmed anywhere that I've seen that what blew off his legs was C4. Perhaps they also had hand grenades?

Also.. and this is kinda off topic but didn't the stuff in bali happen from hand grenades? Could be more than one part of their plan. Honestly I have no idea as it's all speculation for sure.

I was thinking the same thing in terms of maybe he also had grenades but what of the two radio bombs that he had in his hands. Just seems odd to disguise grenades as radios since you will be throwing them but who knows .. maybe they had a very short timer and why one supposedly bounced back (without detonating) before blowing him up. Again, I am just trying to speculate what could have been the target. Probably more relevant are the bombings in India and Georgia since Israel is already linking all three. I believe in those cases a magnetic bomb was attached to a car.

here you go

Thanks - after I asked I did some Google searches myself and found the Israel ties. As these plays out, I am wondering if it will turn out they were already under surveillance. How often do you see an actual Thai police vehicle (not a motorbike) like the one shown in the photo that was damaged in the bomb blast? And this one just happened to be in the neighborhood when the house blew up and this guy ran out? If we are to give any credibility to the Israel statements right now then it would seem they did know the identity of these guys before hand ... even they know every terrorist group and every plot is not against them ... at least there is like a 50/50 shot it would be against Americans ;-)

While searching about the India and Georgia bombings, I ran across this article http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/israelis_targeted_X5jufRynm3IN5ztrXIGZYI#ixzz1mOQ8WVI5

which says ...

There was no claim of responsibility for the assaults
(India & Georgia)
, but Netanyahu said Israel had thwarted similar attacks in recent months in Azerbaijan and Thailand.

I wonder if this was a typical political pat on your own back type superior intelligence comment or if they really did think the arrest of the Lebanese man last month thwarted the Thailand attacks.