Why Its Wise To Wear Body Armour

IanForbes

They said I had to take off my clothes and put on the skimpy blue gown given to me. But, my left arm was hooked up to an intravenous bag hung from a metal hook above and I could only use my right arm. A woman looking after her invalid father came to help me and we were able to get my shirt off and the intravenous bag through the sleeve. But then, they indicated my shorts had to come off as well. So, I unbuckled my belt, unzipped my fly and the shorts dropped to the floor. I don’t wear underpants in Thailand and there I stood... stark naked... in the crowded hallway of the public hospital in Kanchanaburi. Shrieks of laughter filled the area as the gathering women, children, girl friends and male visitors viewed the strange apparition from Canada. But wait, I’m getting ahead of my story.

I asked a Canadian friend to join me for a motorbike ride in the mountains north-west of the small city of Kanchanaburi. The scenery is spectacular and every bike ride is unique. I flew down from Chiang Mai and Brad came up from Pattaya where we rented rooms at the VL guest lodge in Kanchanaburi. Due to its bulk I left my motorbike body armour behind in Chiang Mai. We rented two Honda scooters in town and took off the next morning on an extended trip into the mountains north of Mount Erawan waterfalls National Park.

The 200 kilometre ride was so enjoyable that we decided to return the next day with our luggage and continue further on, but our plans changed in the mountain pass before reaching Mount Erawan Park. As I came around a tight corner the road was covered in oil and the little Honda’s tires were no match for the slippery conditions, and down I went... hard on my left elbow and shoulder. A silver van had blown its motor and was parked at the side of the road just a short distance from where I had my accident. I didn’t even have time to be frightened. It was all over in a second and I was left with two scraped knees and a torn up elbow spraying blood in all directions. However, my first concern was for the motorbike that fortunately, wasn’t damaged too much. I picked it up, shook the cobwebs from my head and kicked the scooter to life again. It continued to run like a top. All that remained was the 100 kilometre ride back to Kanchanaburi where I would need to find a doctor and some antibiotics.

All open wounds in the tropics are bound to get infected and road rash is a dead certainty. The sooner you can contain an infection the better. I first went to a small, private clinic, but the doctor there said I needed to go to the hospital and have x-rays, as well as a proper cleaning treatment and stitches for the wound.

And that brings us to the start of this story. I arrived at the hospital at seven PM and within an hour I was wheeled off to the x-ray department. But my operation didn’t take place until midnight. I wound up with 10 stitches in my elbow and a torn rotator cuff in my shoulder. Afterwards, in the recovery hallway, I never knew when anything was going to happen and nobody spoke a word of English. It was hopeless asking a nurse. I spent the next 20 hours in the public hospital in Kanchanaburi... mostly just waiting with all the dozens of other patients that had more patience than me. Fortunately, I brought my little I-Pod player with me and listened to music all night. I had nothing for pain and getting any sleep was out of the question. It amazed me how the Thai families of hospital patients took care of their loved ones and were willing to share what little they had with me. I suppose I provided some comic relief for those stranded on gurneys in the Thai hospital. A guy’s gotta do what he can to help out some times.

Motorbike_accident_2.jpg

Motorbike_accident_1.jpg

My normal riding gear...

DTracker_loaded_2.sized.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great first paragraphclap2.gif

Good lesson as well. I too learned this one from personal experience - the hard way. Do I always follow our advice?? Erm....

Hope the pain relents right away and that you're back to golf sooner than expected!

Edited by CMX

If you where just wearing a jacket with decent protectors. Then you could have just gotten up, brushed yourself off, and skipped the 20 hour hospital trip!! But you would still have to get some antibiotics for your knees.

At least you survived and you have some awesome picture to show friends and relatives.

Stark naked farang in the hospital - I can only imagine the scene - LOL.

Thanks for sharing the story + thanks for the gruesome pictures... that could have been me recently, overestimated the grip on a rental KLX and ended up sailing across the asphalt; touchdown at elbow, shoulder, head, hand, and knee... got some holes in the gear to show for it, but, almost miraculously, nothing else.

Also reminds me I need to get some proper shoes...

Thanks for sharing the story + thanks for the gruesome pictures... that could have been me recently, overestimated the grip on a rental KLX and ended up sailing across the asphalt; touchdown at elbow, shoulder, head, hand, and knee... got some holes in the gear to show for it, but, almost miraculously, nothing else.

Lolz! I thought you had some decent boots on our last ride? At least you're not riding around in those hospital Crocs anymore! ;)

Lolz! I thought you had some decent boots on our last ride? At least you're not riding around in those hospital Crocs anymore! wink.png

:D Yeah I have for touring, but gonna get some light ones for around town. Found Shift and Puma re-enforced sneakers so far, looking for something like that basically. They need to be practical around town.

Lolz! I thought you had some decent boots on our last ride? At least you're not riding around in those hospital Crocs anymore! wink.png

biggrin.png Yeah I have for touring, but gonna get some light ones for around town. Found Shift and Puma re-enforced sneakers so far, looking for something like that basically. They need to be practical around town.

people say you should not wear work boots for bikes but work boots like this are very light ,steel toe ,leather construction and good ankle protection if you tie the laces tight ,you may be hit with a customs charge buying boots from uk or america but the price is low because safety gear is still tax exempt AFAIK and it sure beats wearing a pair of flip flops from the big C and losing a few toes if you have a spill

http://www.ebay.co.u...992906439520807

http://www.ebay.co.u...035743640321602

Edited by wana

biggrin.png Yeah I have for touring, but gonna get some light ones for around town. Found Shift and Puma re-enforced sneakers so far, looking for something like that basically. They need to be practical around town.

Nikster how about these TCX will be available soon at Pandarider.

post-77479-0-56224500-1329312938_thumb.j

Nikster how about these TCX will be available soon at Pandarider.

post-77479-0-56224500-1329312938_thumb.j

Look good. How much?

I normally wear a pair of Caterpillar style ankle boots with a normal pair of jeans if I'm riding locally in Bangkok. Not the best, but decent protection and you can still go shopping or whatever without looking like Bob the Biker. I can be a bit slack on protection for the upper body on a hot day though, although I always wear a helmet.

On a longer trip I wear "Hornee" Kevlar jeans, AlpineStars boots, jacket etc.

Anything around 100 kph is fine with the breeze keeping me cool. Not nice in BKK traffic though.

I only wear a helmet in BKK, it's just too hot to wear all the gear when commuting as you turn up looking like you have just jumped in a Khlong. I saw those new boots on the Panda Rider website too, I will definitely think about getting some for around town.

Out on the road I have a full set of Rev-It mesh/leather gear and Sidi Adventures, which is cool enough as long as you have a little airflow.

Edited by madjbs

Good points by many people here. I also like the look of the Panda wear boots. I normally just wear running shoes or covered toe sandals when riding in town. And, I just wear jeans or even shorts in town even though I know they offer no protection. But, on longer trips where there aren't many stops other than for fuel I don't mind wearing all the armour. Taking it off is a pain though... but not so painful as when taking a tumble.

I also like the TCX boots. Would guess they will be 4-5k Baht, but even then they will sell like hotcakes.

Seems i am not the only one who feels uncomfortable when wearing protection in Bangkok traffic. But i try to do it as often as possible. Don't care about what people say. I need at least 2 minutes for taking of my gear and lock up my helmet when arriving at the supermarket. Or i go shopping with my knee protectors and jacket on and put the gloves in the shopping trolley smile.png

OOOWWWCCCHH. I almost lost a leg, maybe more, from gangrene due to poor treatment & no instructions on the care of an abrasion wound similar to yours, courtesy of a malaysian clinic.

Nurse wife sez:

For typical bike-related deep abrasion wounds like your arm, treat twice a day by cleaning well with saline, then swab fully with Betadine, then cover with zinc oxide ointment to protect and keep gauze from sticking to the wound.... ouch. Then cover in gauze dressing. Do keep it cleaned & dressed, make sure your Tetanus booster is newer than 10 years, and DON'T let it scab over! If it scabs over, theres high possibility of internal infection and having a Doc use a scalpel to it and cutting it back open, scrub & cut out the dead flesh & pus. Ask me how I know. If it swells, turns pink & blue or green, or you start to run a temperature or get muscle spasms, youre in trouble and need to get to a hospital.

Ian, sorry to hear about your incident, but am glad that you came through OK with your sense of humor, your photography and most of your body intact....;)

I just got back last week from a 1200 km loop trip around the north on my CBR 250, and was outfitted with all the typical long distance tourer kit.

Most of the time, that is. I admit that in Chiang Rai, Chiang Dao and Mae Hong Son where I stayed more than a day or so each, I zapped into town in cargo shorts and not much else. But always my helmet, gloves and ankle length Oxtar shoes.

When you get back, see you at that new place you posted about recently opposite the former Guitarman.

It is really a balancing act when it comes to level of protection versus comfort. Especially when you are in the tropics.

Once you get used to gearing up for your ride, you would not notice it.

IMHO the minimum you should have is

1.a good full face helmet

2. A pair of riding boots

3. A strap on elbow guard

4. A strap on knee guard

5. Pair of gloves

Glad you came out fine. Ride safe.

It is really a balancing act when it comes to level of protection versus comfort. Especially when you are in the tropics.

Once you get used to gearing up for your ride, you would not notice it.

IMHO the minimum you should have is

1.a good full face helmet

2. A pair of riding boots

3. A strap on elbow guard

4. A strap on knee guard

5. Pair of gloves

Glad you came out fine. Ride safe.

all of that is fine ,but if you live in central bkk and you need to go a short run there is very few people willing to get dressed up in full riot gear

since you may be moving at 5-20 kmph

more or less walking speed sometimes when its absolutely jamm packed with the occasional short burst of accelaration

to think of putting on gloves ,elbow guards ,knee pretectors jackets trousers ,boots etc is just unrealistic given u have maybe have 10 min on the bike and a few hours of walking around shops or work and another 10 min home again

stuck in a non moving traffic jam drenched in sweat at 30 - 45 degrees is dam_n unpleasant ,even in shorts ,flip flops ,and a vest

i wonder if it was cold here would more thais wear safety gear on bikes ? :D

i wonder if it was cold here would more thais wear safety gear on bikes ? biggrin.png

I understand where you are coming from. Today I rode the 14 km to Hang Dong wearing shorts and running shoes. But, I had on my good helmet and my body armour jacket. I don't notice the heat if I'm doing over 40 kph, but sure feel it when I stop at a traffic light.

As far as Thais and safety gear is concerned I can't recall ever seeing it. And, what DOES amuse me is they will wear a face mask to stop some fictious germ, but will not wear a helmet.

OOOWWWCCCHH. I almost lost a leg, maybe more, from gangrene due to poor treatment & no instructions on the care of an abrasion wound similar to yours, courtesy of a malaysian clinic.

Nurse wife sez:

For typical bike-related deep abrasion wounds like your arm, treat twice a day by cleaning well with saline, then swab fully with Betadine, then cover with zinc oxide ointment to protect and keep gauze from sticking to the wound.... ouch. Then cover in gauze dressing. Do keep it cleaned & dressed, make sure your Tetanus booster is newer than 10 years, and DON'T let it scab over! If it scabs over, theres high possibility of internal infection and having a Doc use a scalpel to it and cutting it back open, scrub & cut out the dead flesh & pus. Ask me how I know. If it swells, turns pink & blue or green, or you start to run a temperature or get muscle spasms, youre in trouble and need to get to a hospital.

Good advice, and especially in the tropics. My first wife was a nurse and I was a trained first aid attendent at a logging camp. And yes, I've learned the hard way about simple little flesh wounds in the tropics. Guys have died because they ignored them. In the war between the north and south in the USA (1860s) there were more casualties (deaths) caused by infections from wounds than the actual wounds themselves.

the unfortunate thing is so many accidents happen so close to home , i read a studt relaesed by some insurance company and the largest % of accidents occur within a couple of miles of where a person lives

not many people in sukhumvit for example would think they need full armour to go to pratunam ,klong toey,huai kwang ,china town ,silom ,etc but all thse are inside the highest risk area being just a few miles from where you started the journey from

things are so conjested and hot in the city that cheap safety gear is almost unbearable , ok,there is better stuff out there that may be high quality but this kind of stuff is well outside the reach of the average thai husband and wife who use a bike to get around the city

proper protection mght be worth more than their old mio /wave /fino itself and try selling that to someone who makes 6000 a month

and DON'T let it scab over! If it scabs over,

Good advice, and especially in the tropics. My first wife was a nurse and I was a trained first aid attendent at a logging camp. And yes, I've learned the hard way about simple little flesh wounds in the tropics. Guys have died because they ignored them. In the war between the north and south in the USA (1860s) there were more casualties (deaths) caused by infections from wounds than the actual wounds themselves.

You know it is true about the scabbing over......But not just because of scarring or infection but because it is slow.

If instead you can keep most of the deeper areas in a moist bed of antibiotic like Bacitracin etc. It will actually heal & grow fresh skin quickly

as well as not get infected. Almost like a petri dish experiment & it will not scab this way

Of course for the minor surface scraps forget it but on the deeper wounds a good idea.

They use to sell large patches called second skin & that is basically all it was. A bed of antibiotic gel on a large band-aid

good for burns road rash etc.

Good luck hope you heal quick

That's a beauty, glad to hear that you are ok.

Personally I only ever wore a helmet when riding, but I stuck to my Chaly (monkey bike/ "rot pop")

But since i am making some plans on moving back to Thailand I wanted to start getting into riding, so I was looking at starting off with a CBR150 but was unsure as to what gear was good to get for Thailand's climate (specifically Chiang Mai). I would love to get it over here in the states and save some $ while at it.

As for Thai's, my friends who do ride wear stuff like yellowcorn simply for the prestige or coolness factor, not really the safety factor.

thanks again, and Ian glad you're ok, your stories always have a great bit of humor in them.

i wonder if it was cold here would more thais wear safety gear on bikes ? biggrin.png

I understand where you are coming from. Today I rode the 14 km to Hang Dong wearing shorts and running shoes. But, I had on my good helmet and my body armour jacket. I don't notice the heat if I'm doing over 40 kph, but sure feel it when I stop at a traffic light.

As far as Thais and safety gear is concerned I can't recall ever seeing it. And, what DOES amuse me is they will wear a face mask to stop some fictious germ, but will not wear a helmet.

Please don't paint our hosts with such a wide brush. The Thais I ride with all wear proper riding gear...

dsc_0722medium.jpg

Please don't paint our hosts with such a wide brush. The Thais I ride with all wear proper riding gear...

dsc_0722medium.jpg

Yes Thai riders that ride super bikes will wear full riding gear. Most Thai people on a scooter don't give a shit and will ride with only underwear sometime.