Vietnam Holiday

petercallen

Looking at the original post I dont think this thread was an excuse to start spreading more anti-Thailand/Phuket propaganda

No, the OP was asking about member's holiday experiences in Vietnam. Let's all stay on that topic, thank you.

Wishful thinking, no one has really recommended a hotel or special place they enjoyed

up to date

We have just finished a14 day holiday in vietnam, in saigon and Vungtau, we always use the 3to 4 star hotel Elegant on Bui Thi Xuan, large clean rooms and facilities, great inclusive breakfastbuffet, pleasant ever smiling and very helpful staff at 35$ australian a night a great bargain, as I mentioned in an earlier thread,the one occasion we did not use Vitasun taxis we got mugged!!another lesson learned, to compare thailand with vietnam is a joke, vietnam is way behind thailand as far as tourism and inyour face touts,prostitution and crime are concerned, in one of the best indian restaurants in Saigon(mumtaz)king prawn madras for the wife,pilau rice chicken vindaloo for me, to drink 3bottles of heineken ,for the mrs 2 glasses of fresh pressed orange juice, choice of free naan,roti, or bahji,s total cost 20 bucks australian,Vetasun taxis are the cheapest way to get about anywhere in vietnam, HCMC airport to city centre hotel 8dollars australian, city centre to my fishing hut near vungtau(112kms each way) 70 dollars return, while I am fishing my wife stays at the 6 star Anoasis Resort north of Vungtau, monday to thursday 70backs a night for a 65 sq metre airconditioned immaculate bungalow amongst acres of cultivated gardens, great inexpensive bars and restaurant, ahuge swimming pool and your own private invalid accessible beach,as far as comparing vungtau to phuket on the seafront there are 11 bars over a distance 4kms, no touts, hookers, only1 australian owned motorcycle hire, afew of the bars are and restaurants are ausssie owned or managed, as in any harbour town , there are brothels and bargirls if you know where to look, the single off shore workers seem to be the main customers!! the only taxi mayhem is at the ferry terminal where taxis gather to meet the half hourly ferries,the vietnamese do not treat you as walking ATMs, I must admit some are very aggressive, as my wife and I have lived in thailand and experienced all that is good and also the bad as well,we look forward to our vietnam jaunts, at least as disabled pensioners in vietnam we dont get overcharged by everyone for wheelchair access which we occasionally need, as far as thailand is concerned we got rid of our rosecoloured glasses over 20 years ago, vietnam has still a long way to go to catch up with thailand and its tourism industry,we still visit thailand but why as pensioners go to phuket or pattaya, if I want to sit in a traffic jam , Toowoomba is only 30 minutes away

"Vietnam has still a long way to go to catch up with Thailand and its tourism industry"

I hope Vietnam does not head in the same direction as Thailand with all the scams, extortions, collusion, violence, rip offs, visas, assaults, murders, road accidents etc etc. I will be disappointed if it does.

The Vietnamese seem to "branding" their own style and it works for me.

Edited by NamKangMan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It works for me too, but sooner or later the pattaya and patong pimps and whoremasters will show up in Vungtau and other unsullied vietnamese coastal resorts

The Vietnamese fought off the French, the might of of the US war machine, and then went and ousted Pol Pot and The Khumar Rouge in Cambodia. The Thai Mafia might have a go, but I don't fancy their chances.

Why would the Vietnamese even contemplate "doing business" with a sinking ships heirachy?

Mature as in a developed tourism industry. And I totally disagree with your comments about Thailand loosing market share. Thailand is by far the most popular tourist destination in SE Asia and growing. This is despite it's recent challenges and political turmoil. If anything it's loosing it's edge due to too much tourism and overdevelopment. Therefore loosing some of it's charm.

Vietnam infrastructure is bloody terrible and roads are horrendous. I don't know where you've travelled, but I can assure you that in general the roads are shockers and public transport a mess. Thailand roads and infrastructure are light years ahead. And Vietnamese are the 2nd or 3rd worst drivers on this planet (India, Sri Lanka ahead). I often read threads about Thai driving and think to myself that you aint seen nothing until you've driven in Vietnam, which I do.

I also enjoy train travel and have never done it in Vietnam. But I have met plenty who have. My one question has always been, "would you do it again" and the answer is always NEVER. A nice one time experience, but the trains are uncomfortable, smelly, slow and stop all the time. However I heard the Hanoi / Sapa overnight train is very good. This is because Hotels lease carriages.

I agree that Thailand has it's problems, like anywhere I suppose. I used to live in Phuket and would love to live there again.

I would agree with HappyAussie one thousand percent. I too am an Aussy, based in Thailand, but lived and worked in Vietnam for over 6 years. The place is a shocker. The infrastructure dosent exist, except for the new HCMC Airport that the Japanese built, the roads are worse than crap, and Vietnamese cannot drive. Period.

I imported a large bike from Aus and travelled all through Vietnam. So I know....

And as for the trains....a 265km trip took us 12 hours. The train had to slow or stop constantly because of motorbikes riding between the track (in both directions). But the roads are worse. Take a bus trip to Mui Ne or Vung Tau. If you survive the experience, you will see what traffic is all about due to poor road infra-structure and bad driving. The last 40-50 km's into the city could take you anything up to 4 hours.

Just about every tourist I met, managed to fleeced, cheated (or robbed) somewhere along their trip, and for them, it was a one time only experience.

As for the big developments, especially the one at Ho Tram (been there many times), ha ha ha....Wait and see if it ever gets finished, or whether the money runs out - which ever comes first. It's still a fantasy pipe dream.

Golf courses are nice though.....

I agree, Vietnamese can be aggressive and they certainly stand their ground. Suppose after years of occupation and invasion they've become resilient.

Something else about Vietnam that will polarize some members is the food. I have a very tough time finding good tucker. And most street food I wouldn't touch. Unlike Thailand where I love eating street food.

Also agree.....What I cannot figure out. Is a country so close to Thailand which has wonderful, sophisticated foods that cover all joyous taste sensations, yet Vietnamese food is just the basics, enough to keep you alive and that's about it, and they still chuck meat and offal butchered with a blunt axe on a BBQ or open fire and call it "local cuisine". <deleted>....Why haven't they figured out that food can actually taste nice AND keep you alive?

Chicken dishes are served with the heads and feet, and you will be picking splinters out of your mouth for a week.

Local steak is really an old buffallo, past it's use-by date in the paddy field.

Good luck....Enjoy.

Ok, been reading this topic, time for me to weigh in.

2 Years ago when Air Asia started the Phuket - Ho Chi Min route we booked flights at the very low promo prices. Seems like that direct flight is no longer available. Sorted out the visa online, worked Ok but had to wait over an hour in Saigon for processing. No big deal.

A friend recommended the Continental in central Saigon, not cheap but it was terrific. I highly recommend.

Seemed to me that not really any touristy activities readily available. We took the high speed ferry to Vung Tau and spend the day on a beach resort. Another day day we hired a taxi to spend the day at the Chu Chi tunnels from the Vietnam war. Saigon has many interesting place to visit and we spent 2 days just wandering about. The reunification palace is must to visit.

Sure it's not so cheap in Saigon, we thought more expensive than Phuket. Plenty of vendors wanting to take all your money. Private taxis are expensive, if you know where to get a meter taxi = cheap.

While we enjoyed our short visit, not so sure I would go back again. Just my view, but the locals still have plenty of 'bad' memories from their war.

i liked Vietnam, but if i had to make a statement describing the country ..it would have to be SAD ... the bad memories from losing millions of people will live on for many decades ....

Mature as in a developed tourism industry. And I totally disagree with your comments about Thailand loosing market share. Thailand is by far the most popular tourist destination in SE Asia and growing. This is despite it's recent challenges and political turmoil. If anything it's loosing it's edge due to too much tourism and overdevelopment. Therefore loosing some of it's charm.

Vietnam infrastructure is bloody terrible and roads are horrendous. I don't know where you've travelled, but I can assure you that in general the roads are shockers and public transport a mess. Thailand roads and infrastructure are light years ahead. And Vietnamese are the 2nd or 3rd worst drivers on this planet (India, Sri Lanka ahead). I often read threads about Thai driving and think to myself that you aint seen nothing until you've driven in Vietnam, which I do.

I also enjoy train travel and have never done it in Vietnam. But I have met plenty who have. My one question has always been, "would you do it again" and the answer is always NEVER. A nice one time experience, but the trains are uncomfortable, smelly, slow and stop all the time. However I heard the Hanoi / Sapa overnight train is very good. This is because Hotels lease carriages.

I agree that Thailand has it's problems, like anywhere I suppose. I used to live in Phuket and would love to live there again.

I would agree with HappyAussie one thousand percent. I too am an Aussy, based in Thailand, but lived and worked in Vietnam for over 6 years. The place is a shocker. The infrastructure dosent exist, except for the new HCMC Airport that the Japanese built, the roads are worse than crap, and Vietnamese cannot drive. Period.

I imported a large bike from Aus and travelled all through Vietnam. So I know....

And as for the trains....a 265km trip took us 12 hours. The train had to slow or stop constantly because of motorbikes riding between the track (in both directions). But the roads are worse. Take a bus trip to Mui Ne or Vung Tau. If you survive the experience, you will see what traffic is all about due to poor road infra-structure and bad driving. The last 40-50 km's into the city could take you anything up to 4 hours.

Just about every tourist I met, managed to fleeced, cheated (or robbed) somewhere along their trip, and for them, it was a one time only experience.

As for the big developments, especially the one at Ho Tram (been there many times), ha ha ha....Wait and see if it ever gets finished, or whether the money runs out - which ever comes first. It's still a fantasy pipe dream.

The fact that "Aussies" spell "Aussie" with an "ie" and not a "y" as in "Aussy" raises my suspicions as to the truth contained in your post.

I agree, Vietnamese can be aggressive and they certainly stand their ground. Suppose after years of occupation and invasion they've become resilient.

Something else about Vietnam that will polarize some members is the food. I have a very tough time finding good tucker. And most street food I wouldn't touch. Unlike Thailand where I love eating street food.

Also agree.....What I cannot figure out. Is a country so close to Thailand which has wonderful, sophisticated foods that cover all joyous taste sensations, yet Vietnamese food is just the basics, enough to keep you alive and that's about it, and they still chuck meat and offal butchered with a blunt axe on a BBQ or open fire and call it "local cuisine". <deleted>....Why haven't they figured out that food can actually taste nice AND keep you alive?

Chicken dishes are served with the heads and feet, and you will be picking splinters out of your mouth for a week.

Local steak is really an old buffallo, past it's use-by date in the paddy field.

Good luck....Enjoy.

"Chicken dishes are served with the heads and the feet."

Have you actually traveled around Thailand, at all???? Oh, that's right, the north of Thailand is not actually Thailand, right????

wow!! an aussie makin g comments about another countries road and rail network,try travelling by train from townsville to Mount Isa ,regularly after Cloncurry the conductor asks customers if they would like to stretch their legs by walking alongside the moving train, I had no problem keeping up with the train and I am disabled, a bus trip from townsville to Cairns,which is a main trunk route can take you from 6hours to 7 days in the wet season!! and that is every wetseason absolutely no improvements,not many europeans use the bus from VT to the city especially when there is an excellent 90 minute ferry service there,which takes you into the middle of the city,you seem to forget young fella vietnam has got to find its own way back to civilisation after it was bombed back to the stone age in the 60,s!!

I'm off to Nha Trang over Songkran to avoid the a@holes who seem to be getting worse each year with their waterguns, powder and dyes. I swear someone will get seriously hurt soon and I'd rather it not be me.

Its only 4 days so I wont get to see too much but if I like it I'll go back again,.... Flights are booked just looking at the visa now.... any suggestions? I did send off a form to one agent but not heard anything back.

I'm off to Nha Trang over Songkran to avoid the a@holes who seem to be getting worse each year with their waterguns, powder and dyes. I swear someone will get seriously hurt soon and I'd rather it not be me.

Its only 4 days so I wont get to see too much but if I like it I'll go back again,.... Flights are booked just looking at the visa now.... any suggestions? I did send off a form to one agent but not heard anything back.

VinPearl theme park is worth a day out. Hardly anyone there and it's pretty cheap. Arcade is good fun there too...

Yes, go to the Beach Club. Very good food, good music, very laid-back and it's right on the beach.

wow!! an aussie makin g comments about another countries road and rail network,try travelling by train from townsville to Mount Isa ,regularly after Cloncurry the conductor asks customers if they would like to stretch their legs by walking alongside the moving train, I had no problem keeping up with the train and I am disabled, a bus trip from townsville to Cairns,which is a main trunk route can take you from 6hours to 7 days in the wet season!! and that is every wetseason absolutely no improvements,not many europeans use the bus from VT to the city especially when there is an excellent 90 minute ferry service there,which takes you into the middle of the city,you seem to forget young fella vietnam has got to find its own way back to civilisation after it was bombed back to the stone age in the 60,s!!

Okay, I'll bite. Mate your anecdotes are a little far fetched. Having lived in Cairns for 10 years allow me to elaborate. By memory the trip between Townsville is about 350km, duel carriage most of the way and takes no more than 3 to 4 hours. Yes, during a cyclone or torrential rain/flooding there's no doubt the journey would take longer or not at all if roads are flooded....duh.

And Mount Isa to Cloncurry is not exactly on any tourist map. So a slightly strange example with comments that stretch the imagination "your disabled and you walk faster than the train" sorry, don't buy that.

I am not a die heart Aussie defending my country. Transport in OZ is way behind Europe. But not as bad as you portray.

I am currently living in Vietnam and my previous comments about transport and roads is a fact. Of course there maybe be stretches of roads which maybe fine. But overall the roads, conditions and drivers are rubbish. This doesn't make Vietnam a bad place to visit, the South has some great places.

Might see you there, you can get a pre-approved visa online. http://www.myvietnamvisa.com/visa-requirements/australia.html

Might see you there, you can get a pre-approved visa online. http://www.myvietnam.../australia.html

I use www.myvietnamvisa.com all the time. Never had a problem. On my last visa run to Vietnam, I noticed they have done away with filling out the immigration/customs card. I don't think it will be long before Vietnam offers the visa exemption stamp on arrival, like Thailand. Will be interesting if it will be 30 days, 60 days or 90 days. You can already extend your visa, 3 times, from within the country, so, if you go in on a 3 month tourist visa, you can stay for 1 year. No need for 800,000 baht in a bank and all that BS.