Picking Up One Year Extension

My passport is stamped Dec 27 for reporting to Immigration for my one year extension renewal. This is a most inconvienent date for me so today I called Immigration to find out if my visa has arrived from BKK. Well, apparently it has arrived but I can't go get it until the 27th! I wanted to go tomorrow but the guy who always does my visa has said the regualtions require I wait until the date stamped in my passport.

Anyone else encountered this?

My passport is stamped Dec 27 for reporting to Immigration for my one year extension renewal. This is a most inconvienent date for me so today I called Immigration to find out if my visa has arrived from BKK. Well, apparently it has arrived but I can't go get it until the 27th! I wanted to go tomorrow but the guy who always does my visa has said the regualtions require I wait until the date stamped in my passport.

Anyone else encountered this?

That seems odd. Immigration at CM had a sign saying you can apply & get the extension up to 30 days before the expiration date. I was even chided by an immigration official once for coming on the last day. So now I usually go 3-7 days before to get the stamp. But BKK I don't know.

Perhaps one of the problems dealing with the middleman. I expect Bangkok has told them that as a general rule so perhaps you could approach it from another angle and ask if they would accept one of your staff taking your passport for stamp on the appointed date if you provide a letter of authorization. Might not work but should be worth the try.

That seems odd. Immigration at CM had a sign saying you can apply & get the extension up to 30 days before the expiration date.

“The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place” _ George Bernard Shaw

Could there be a communication problem here? Has sbk already applied for her extension and the stamp she refers to is the stamp that says her application is under consideration and the applicant must report to the Immigration Office on December 27?

Just wondering.

Edited by maestro

That seems odd. Immigration at CM had a sign saying you can apply & get the extension up to 30 days before the expiration date.

“The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place” _ George Bernard Shaw

Could there be a communication problem here? Has sbk already applied for her extension and the stamp she refers to is the stamp that says her application is under consideration and the applicant must report to the Immigration Office on December 27?

Just wondering.

That is how I read it. SBK is not old enough for the one visit retirement type extension. :o

Gettin there tho :o Just kidding, I am really a spring chicken :D

Yes, it is the "application is under consideration" stamp and I just can't understand why I can't go get it now. I had my husband call just to make sure there weren't any communication errors and he told my husband that there were all sorts of new regulations and they were quite strict about it now. I must go there on the date stamped in my passport (obviously give or take a day but not 2 weeks :D )

Yes, it is the "application is under consideration" stamp and I just can't understand why I can't go get it now. I had my husband call just to make sure there weren't any communication errors and he told my husband that there were all sorts of new regulations and they were quite strict about it now.

sbk, it is tyways I had suspected of having understood something different from what you meant; since confirmed. He referred to the period during which one can apply before expiration of the current permission to stay. By “get the stamp” he obviously means the approval of extension for retirement, which is issued while waiting, unlike in your case .

dutch’s story is also different: extension for retirement, approval obtained while waiting (other thread of his)

I was awaiting approval of my visa--my passport has been stamped every month since the end of August and now that the visa has actually arrived I am being told I cannot come get my passport stamped for the rest of the year until the 27th, the date stamped for "application under consideration" checkin. <deleted>? My approval has arrived! What is the big deal getting it 2 weeks earlier than their stamp? The 27th is extremely inconvenient (and no, can't get staff to do it, they will be working!). Looks like I am stuck with half a day off. Getting up at 6 am to catch the boat and returning at noon :o Not a good thing for this time of year.

sbk, it is tyways I had suspected of having understood something different from what you meant; since confirmed. He referred to the period during which one can apply before expiration of the current permission to stay. By “get the stamp” he obviously means the approval of extension for retirement, which is issued while waiting, unlike in your case .

dutch’s story is also different: extension for retirement, approval obtained while waiting (other thread of his)

Actually mine is not retirement but 1-year extension for work. But it also is stamped on the spot with no 30-day consideration so must not apply in sbk's situation also. Sorry for the confusion sbk. Many years ago when I first started working I used to get those 30-day stamps too because it had to go to Bangkok for approval. They changed that later allowing the local offices to give immediate approval.

Did I miss it somewhere as to the category of the 1-year extension? Married to Thai national, etc.?

Edited by tywais

Well, apparently it has arrived but I can't go get it until the 27th! I wanted to go tomorrow but the guy who always does my visa has said the regualtions require I wait until the date stamped in my passport.

Another communication error, this time on my part: I read guy = Immigration Officer. Now I gather that he is an agent handling you application.

Do as Lopburi suggests. Or if you can go to Immigration yourself, now, bring the officer an early New Year present, explaining that you won’t be around on the 27th to bring it then :o

In cases identical to yours, I have seen advice given in this forum that the applicant should plead his/her case with Immigration. If you have a trip booked, show your tickets, etc. Unless the officer is a heartless, died-in-the-wool jobsworth he won’t be able to refuse your request to your face, seeing that the approval from Immigration head-office has already arrived.

Yes, married to a Thai national --supported by a Thai husband extension. It always gets sent to BKK for approval. On the spot approval would be fabulous! I'm green with envy, must be nice.

Yes, married to a Thai national --supported by a Thai husband extension. It always gets sent to BKK for approval. On the spot approval would be fabulous! I'm green with envy, must be nice.

tywais, for extensions in this category it is rather difficult to predict the time-frame of the extension process. From what I’ve read in this forum, upon application one is usually asked by Immigration to come back in 30 days. Then, if approval from head office has not yet arrived, one is asked to come back in another 10 days or so. I am not sure about these two periods; in fact they may vary from one Immigration Office to another and/or be at the discretion of the officer. If the periods were fixed, one could at least time one’s application accordingly, granted always that no urgent travel requirement crops up during the successive periods “under consideration”.

This is for you to understand sbk’s envy :o

Nope, guy is immigration officer--and he was very adamant over the phone, new regulations strictly enforced.

He must be new in that office and does not know what a lovely, charming lady you are. Time for a personal visit to see him, then :o (Bring that bottle of Mekong)

Or is it a long trip? Do you have to get off the island for it?

tywais, for extensions in this category it is rather difficult to predict the time-frame of the extension process. From what I’ve read in this forum, upon application one is usually asked by Immigration to come back in 30 days. Then, if approval from head office has not yet arrived, one is asked to come back in another 10 days or so. I am not sure about these two periods; in fact they may vary from one Immigration Office to another and/or be at the discretion of the officer. If the periods were fixed, one could at least time one’s application accordingly, granted always that no urgent travel requirement crops up during the successive periods “under consideration”.

This is for you to understand sbk’s envy :o

Thanks. Just so used to it being easy for me that I forget not everyone is as fortunate as me. So it seems like 1-year visa extension for purpose of support/supporting a Thai national maybe the only one that has to have the Bangkok approval. Doesn't seem fair.

Nope, guy is immigration officer--and he was very adamant over the phone, new regulations strictly enforced.

He must be new in that office and does not know what a lovely, charming lady you are. Time for a personal visit to see him, then :D (Bring that bottle of Mekong)

Or is it a long trip? Do you have to get off the island for it?

:o aren't you sweet. No, unfortunately he is the one who has processed my application for about 11 years (first two years were a different guy, long since retired). He is quite senior in the office now--I am sure he knows what he is talking about--just wonder if it something only applicable out in the provinces.

Its a half a day for me, up at 6am then back by noon only to find myself involved in bungalow business during the busiest time of the year (probably until about 1 am) :D

Seems like silly regulations to me. Bureaucracy!

That is complete bull - just I got my 1 year extension stamp @ suan plu. 8 days before the "under consideration" date. Last year I picked it up about a week before expiry of the "under consideration" stamp too...

Every 30 days since the end of August :o

Good Gracious Lord! How is one supposed to plan one’s life like that!?

And it’s not like it’s your first extension, is it? It should be a routine matter. Probably your application got lost in a drawer somewhere and just turned up again recently.

This extraordinary delay should be one more reason for your local Immigration Office to show more understanding for your request. Ask to speak to the boss if the underling remains too stubborn, or perhaps start right away with the boss.

That is complete bull - just I got my 1 year extension stamp @ suan plu. 8 days before the "under consideration" date. Last year I picked it up about a week before expiry of the "under consideration" stamp too...

Yes, but I am not going to Suan Plu, am I? That's why I was wondering if it was something new to the provinces? After all, my application gets sent to Suan Plu, you know.

And don't worry Maestro, I live on an island, we don't do much here anyway :o

sbk, now I am beginning to wonder if that Immigration Officer has got it in for you, for whatever reason.

He can make life hel_l for you if you go over his head and talk to Immigration Head Office so that they will order your local office to issue the extension to you without further delay. Can anybody suggest another option, before it has to come to that?

sbk, now I am beginning to wonder if that Immigration Officer has got it in for you, for whatever reason.

He can make life hel_l for you if you go over his head and talk to Immigration Head Office so that they will order your local office to issue the extension to you without further delay. Can anybody suggest another option, before it has to come to that?

No, I doubt it, I get on very well with everyone at Immigration here. He told my husband that it was a new regulation and altho he could do it he was afraid he would get in trouble for it. Also, I must point out I want to go in nearly 3 weeks before the consideration stamp, not 8 days. I could probably get away with 8 days but whats the point? I'll be busy then too :o

There were several reports earlier in the year of offices upcountry phoning those waiting that approval had been granted (in very fast time) and they could come and get stamp early. But as general policy I believe they do try to keep strictly to the date indicated even here in Bangkok. My wife asked about it the first time we did the process and officer advised not to come early as the approval is often not ready until the last moment.

No, I doubt it, I get on very well with everyone at Immigration here. He told my husband that it was a new regulation and altho he could do it he was afraid he would get in trouble for it. Also, I  must point out I want to go in nearly 3 weeks before the consideration stamp, not 8 days. I could probably get away with 8 days but whats the point? I'll be busy then too  :o

This would seem to leave you only with the Buddhist approach: if you broke your leg on Dec. 26 – knock on wood – and were laid up in bed your availability – or the lack of if – to your resort would be about the same as if you took the day off on Dec. 27 to go to the Immigration Office.

Just the same, check with Immigration if they will allow a proxy to pick up the passport for you (Lopburi’s suggestion).