Considering A Move

Deaw

Hey all.....been lurking on and off here for years and always get the news feed direct to my mailbox, it just took me a while to finally join up and start posting 4 months ago. Great forum BTW.

Short story; I have been doing "high seasons" in Thailand since 2002 and love it here.

First 5 in BKK and the past 5 here on Phangan Island.

I will reach retirement age in August and I am looking for a more permanent place to hang my hat; I have also sold my condo back in the states so I guess I will be a guest of the Kingdom indefinitely now.

But I am kinda done with living in Paradise; beached-out for sure, bored also, and since I am twice the age of the tourists and the farangs who live around here I don't really have many peers I can relate to and chat with about politics, history, books, sports, golfing, etc....

So basically, places like here, Phuket and Samui are not being considered. I've been to both many times and they are just larger versions of Phangan and much more expensive. Hua Hin; been there once, not too bad but again, I am kinda done with the beach and goofing off by now, I need something to stimulate my mind and keep me busy.

Bangkok; naaaaa.......did that for 5 years already, and the floods this past fall reinforced that view.

Don't have a girlfriend, don't want one..... had enough of that in Bangkok, with nice girls and bar girls alike, and I am all set in that department; I find that at age 49 it's more work than pleasure these days and it's too darn hot to even bother. In fact, the word "Deaw" means "only me" and I am fine with that, but having a few more friends for company now and again would be cool.

I am thinking Chiang Mai.......been there 3 or 4 times and liked it, it has some modernity to it mixed in with the gorgeous local culture, and it's cheap. From what I have learned in my research I could also meet a lot of ex-pats in my age group to hang out with as well.

Pattaya - uggghhhh. Been there a few times and can't stand the in-your-face style of it all, the sex tourists, the bar scene, the noise, etc, etc.....you know I could go on forever and people either love it or hate it while I am in fact ambiguous; I would need a month or 2 to check it out before making a move there, but one thing I know for sure; lots of ex-pats my own age and making friends would be easy. Easy access to good hospitals and government offices as well; we have neither here.

Issan? Khorat? Sukhothai? Budget is not really an issue, I live well on about 60-75K baht per month.....don't drink much, not a big party type....would much prefer a good round of golf followed by dinner with friends, maybe a beer or 2 and watching a game on the tube or playing chess or cards....essentially, my life back home but for half the price and better weather.

Ideas/comments welcomed and Thanks!

I think you answered your own question. Be aware that Chiang Mai has about a 6-8 week period of elevated air pollution in the Feb-April time frame. Some years almost non existant, other years kinda bad if one has respitory issues. The 10 year trend in season pollution is down however and I expect that trend to continue into the indefinite future.

As far as I'm concerned Chiang Mai is about the nicest place to live, anywhere.

I am thinking Chiang Mai.......been there 3 or 4 times and liked it, it has some modernity to it mixed in with the gorgeous local culture, and it's cheap. From what I have learned in my research I could also meet a lot of ex-pats in my age group to hang out with as well.

Expats in Chiang Mai will consider you as a youngster. biggrin.png

I agree that Chiang Mai sounds perfect for you.......you should also look into floating about the other northern towns such as Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Pai, Nan etc

You'll be retired, you don't need to hang your hat anywhere.

By the way, try to get a visa for Mynamar as well, I'm hearing good reports from friends who have been there recently, these days Chiang Mai has got reasonable flight links, you can get to Laos, BKK, Singapore, Hat Yai, Phuket, China, Kuala Lumpur, and Mynamar direct.

Obviously once you are in BKK or KL you can get anywhere.....CM is a great place to live and base yourself.

Edited by theblether

Definitely Chiang Mai. Just budget some funds for a little "vacation" every year in March and April.

Another place to consider if you don't feel the need to hang out with expats all the time is Nong Khai. it will be the Chiang Mai of the next generation.

I'm going offer a reply to this as I am the same age and have recently moved to Chiang Mai having lived elsewhere in Thailand for the past ten years. I really like CM it's more of a normal life, there a busy tourist industry here but not sex and sand, visitors seem to be a bit more sophisticated. It does have it's problems with pollution at certain times but also access to some really beautiful scenery, loads to do and see. From what I've seen of the local expat community it seems pretty friendly, a good mixture of singles and married people. We also have a local soccer team, who are by no means brilliant but going to a game is a good night out.

I have to agree with what's already been said and say that Chiang Mai is a great place to live.

I live in Chiang Mai now. There's not much to do here. I don't like it much.

I've always liked Pattaya, but as you explained sometimes the tourists and the bar scene can get a bit old. Solution: why not move to a low key area of Pattaya? I'm thinking about it.

Yes, for sure if I move to Pattaya it would be in a quiet, low key area, at least 20 minutes by 'cycle from walking street/beach road.

It would be cheaper - nice houses in east Pattaya or Naklua are in the 12-15K range -and I wouldn't have to deal with the bad element unless I really had to go down there, maybe to meet friends or entertain friends from abroad.

To be honest the only reason I am considering Pattaya at all is because they have a great selection of food and things like good hospitals, people in my peer group, air conditioned shopping malls, Big C and Tesco, Home Pro, things like that.....again, we have absolutely none of those things where I live right now. The only A/C I get around here is in my bedroom LOL.

For you CM people; have the Russian hordes arrived yet? Phuket and Pattaya are absolutely overrun these days with folks from Russia, and while I try not to generalize about any one nationality I have yet to see any of these people actually smile! They seem kind of glum and rude IMO. So I am curious if they as a whole would find CM appealing and as a place to visit or settle down, I think they more prefer beach areas.

I need a good gym also........5 years of doing nothing has left me unrecognizable in the mirror :(

Thanks to everyone so far for the replies!

No Russian hordes here that I have seen - I have met a couple of Russkies up here, but they were fine - just sat chatted and drank beer. CM is great in that you can be in areas full of backpackers and tourists, areas full of expats and areas with hardly a non-Thai face anywhere. City is not huge like BKK, and there are enough expacts compared to tourists, that its fairly easy to find expat places near at hand if you wish. Night life is there (here), but not where near the likes of Phattaya and Phuklet (thank God!). CM has all those things you mentioned in Pattaya too of course - but with cheaper rents and food (and no waterskis). Plenty of gyms too - with air con.

Good luck.

I always liked Pitsanulok. Very central,has good access by plane,road or train. Can be in Bangkok in 4 hours by bus or train.Traffic is getting bad but it is bad all over Thailand now.There are many great restaurants. I feel it is the most overlooked city in Thailand. Go there try dining some night on a riverboat restaurant or riverside restaurant,you will see what I mean. It was said before that it has the most restaurants per capita in Thailand. It is close to Khoa Kha for great camping or resort stays.Can go to Mae Sot and back easy in a day.Chiang Mai is an easy drive ,etc.

Also housing projects are reasonably priced all over the area. Used cars are affordable and abundant.Now has a Central department store.Can buy any foods you want.

I don't really have many peers I can relate to and chat with about politics, history, books, sports, golfing, etc..

Dont worry you can get all the intellectual stimulation you can handle on the internet these days. Not the same as having real life freinds I suppose but then again you are not limited to those living in your city.

I don't really have many peers I can relate to and chat with about politics, history, books, sports, golfing, etc..

Dont worry you can get all the intellectual stimulation you can handle on the internet these days.

Jeesh, I spend too much time on the 'net as it is right now!

I want to spend more time outside, doing more stuff, exercising more, maybe joining some clubs or going on long motorcycle rides {Phangan is only 30 miles long- and I know every inch of it by now} and for sure being more active. I've been a beach bum for 5 years now and frankly I am tired of it.

I appreciate the tips from everyone, I have been researching CM but it's good to hear from people who already live there - keep 'em coming, please!