Thai PM Yingluck Runs Show Like A CEO

webfact

I'm not sure any plans prepared and presented in six months time would be in good shape, but squizing all into three months seems like asking for problems.

I think she's making an effort to address the Thai habit of stretching out construction projects. Have you ever noticed that it can take ages to complete simple construction? Look at some of the road projects. How long does it take for the local department in Pattaya or Phuket to respond to a dangerous pothole or washed out road? Put the politics aside and consider this as a well deserved smack on the bum for some.

Edited by geriatrickid

I'm not sure any plans prepared and presented in six months time would be in good shape, but squizing all into three months seems like asking for problems.

I think she's making an effort to address the Thai habit of stretching out construction projects. Have you ever noticed that it can take ages to complete simple construction? Look at some of the road projects. How long does it take for the local department in Pattaya or Phuket to respond to a dangerous pothole or washed out road? Put the politics aside and consider this as a well deserved smack on the bum for some.

Already answered in #28, I hope?

"I'm not sure........seems like asking for problems". A succinct summary of why her orders to subordinates will fail? Or perhaps another jibe

OP: "Yesterday, Yingluck firmly told Nakhon Sawan Governor Jittakaet Nirote that she wanted every detail for building a dyke to be completed in the next three months, not six months as he had said earlier."

Skipping the 'lost in translation' part, for this specific item the governor said six months, the PM said 'forget it, three months or I'll get the SCWRM involved'. No details provided as to why the governor said 'six months', but assuming he had his good reasons, asking him to do the same in three months puts lots of pressure on <insufficient details>. So we're left to guess.

As I said 'lost in translation', but just 'details on building a dyke' shouldn't take more than a few weeks at the most. If it takes six months it should include aspects as '(reasoning for) choice of location', 'type of dyke', 'max height of water level', 'environmental impact' (including impact on local population), 'financing of build & projected maintenance', etc., etc. That would be something not easely compressed into half the time originally forseen.

A CEO may ask things somewhat out of the ordinary, but should also know not the ask the impossible. Furthermore the objective of companies may be profitability and continuity, but govenment offices need a better view on short, medium AND long-term. IMHO of course

You have told us many times that you are Dutch, so perhaps you may therefore have more expertise han the rest of us . However assuming that you don't then much of what you say above is speculation; you have no evidence to suggest that she has given the Governor an unrealistic timetable, by halving the time that he wanted.

It's a CEO's job to get things done, not to accept at face value excuses for why they can't be

OP: "Yesterday, Yingluck firmly told Nakhon Sawan Governor Jittakaet Nirote that she wanted every detail for building a dyke to be completed in the next three months, not six months as he had said earlier."

Skipping the 'lost in translation' part, for this specific item the governor said six months, the PM said 'forget it, three months or I'll get the SCWRM involved'. No details provided as to why the governor said 'six months', but assuming he had his good reasons, asking him to do the same in three months puts lots of pressure on <insufficient details>. So we're left to guess.

As I said 'lost in translation', but just 'details on building a dyke' shouldn't take more than a few weeks at the most. If it takes six months it should include aspects as '(reasoning for) choice of location', 'type of dyke', 'max height of water level', 'environmental impact' (including impact on local population), 'financing of build & projected maintenance', etc., etc. That would be something not easely compressed into half the time originally forseen.

A CEO may ask things somewhat out of the ordinary, but should also know not the ask the impossible. Furthermore the objective of companies may be profitability and continuity, but govenment offices need a better view on short, medium AND long-term. IMHO of course

You have told us many times that you are Dutch, so perhaps you may therefore have more expertise han the rest of us . However assuming that you don't then much of what you say above is speculation; you have no evidence to suggest that she has given the Governor an unrealistic timetable, by halving the time that he wanted.

It's a CEO's job to get things done, not to accept at face value excuses for why they can't be

I indicated <insufficient details>. As such it's not only difficult to say if the six months are realistic, but even more difficult to say the timeframe can be halved. If six months is realistic, justified, halving may endanger the complete plan. If no details what will be done in six months, not sure what value to ask for three months. So once more: <insufficient data>.

BTW not only am I Dutch, but even a genuine Dutch uncle. Born in a small village near Arnhem, the Netherlands. My parents where there in 1944, both at the tender age of 17 that time. I'm not going to post a copy of my passport here as you may understand.

Also offering additional options and assistance if a project requires to meet the redefined target date

As a first time responder, but a long time viewer (and a resident of the flooded Nakhon Nayok area), I would like to comment on the responses to the PM's project time-line alterations.

Any viable, competitive modern business leadership group is very familiar with the decisive tactics needed to move critical projects forward. The generally accepted approach utilizes "fast-track project" methodology and concepts and has been around for at least two decades. One could guarantee that the factories constructed in Thailand's industrial estates were not built utilizing the general Thai populaces' concept of time and sequence. I would also assume that the PM, in her role as CEO, has a practical background in all types of projects (construction, marketing, IT, etc.) and has a fair understanding of the normal resistance to change that these types of projects engender.

It would appear from the responses that the vast majority of folks have never been involved with large scale projects and do not understand how to evaluate the risk factors associated with the various decisions that need to be made in parallel in order to progress on a fast-track time schedule. And yes, tea money and local politics are known risk factors - the earlier the exposure, the sooner the cure.

The PM's approach carries the same tone and message as would be expected from any competent leader in a similar situation. It would appear that she is placing the seriousness of the situation in front of the potential political fallout that will follow from her forwardness.

I wish her luck (and a few good project managers with the authority to make the inevitably contentious decisions that lie ahead).

• Like 1

As a first time responder, but a long time viewer (and a resident of the flooded Nakhon Nayok area), I would like to comment on the responses to the PM's project time-line alterations.

Any viable, competitive modern business leadership group is very familiar with the decisive tactics needed to move critical projects forward. The generally accepted approach utilizes "fast-track project" methodology and concepts and has been around for at least two decades. One could guarantee that the factories constructed in Thailand's industrial estates were not built utilizing the general Thai populaces' concept of time and sequence. I would also assume that the PM, in her role as CEO, has a practical background in all types of projects (construction, marketing, IT, etc.) and has a fair understanding of the normal resistance to change that these types of projects engender.

It would appear from the responses that the vast majority of folks have never been involved with large scale projects and do not understand how to evaluate the risk factors associated with the various decisions that need to be made in parallel in order to progress on a fast-track time schedule. And yes, tea money and local politics are known risk factors - the earlier the exposure, the sooner the cure.

The PM's approach carries the same tone and message as would be expected from any competent leader in a similar situation. It would appear that she is placing the seriousness of the situation in front of the potential political fallout that will follow from her forwardness.

I wish her luck (and a few good project managers with the authority to make the inevitably contentious decisions that lie ahead).

Your "I would assume" amd "it would appear" is not really much different from my <insufficient data>. You are brave enough to come to conclusions, whether I delay mine till I have more data.

The PM has experience as manager is a firm owned by her family in a position not filled again / abolished when her family sold the firm. Her track record is unclear. Her brother's reputation is more clear, somewhat dictatorial.

BTW I like your "tea money and local politics are known risk factors". Never a truer word was said dry.png

Edited by rubl

Well Rubl, let us hope that the project leadership skills of a person whose "experience as manager is a firm owned by her family" proves a little superior to the Democrat led management team that held the water in early 2011, leaving the only option later to submerge Bangkok suburbs a meter deep in water......you may well reserve judgement, but I am confident Yingluck will see the work against flooding as a major opportunity to show how this elected government, at least on the topic of flooding, is an improvement on the last

Edited by 473geo

Wow, messing up deadlines without any expertise is now hailed as leadership - expectations have dropped to a really humble level.

And no one seems to notice that Yingluck only plays "boss"while she is a safe distance away from her cabinet and her "deputy" is occupied with downplaying the "bombs of Bangkok".

When she's back Chalerm will return things to normal.

Wow, messing up deadlines without any expertise is now hailed as leadership - expectations have dropped to a really humble level.

And no one seems to notice that Yingluck only plays "boss"while she is a safe distance away from her cabinet and her "deputy" is occupied with downplaying the "bombs of Bangkok".

When she's back Chalerm will return things to normal.

I guess there is no person left in Bangkok as they will all have scarpered in fear of a massive bombing campaign after the idiot blew his legs off, so no worries there then. Concentrate on resolving the flooding Yingluck, hundreds died last year (Buchholz can supply the exact number)

Well Rubl, let us hope that the project leadership skills of a person whose "experience as manager is a firm owned by her family" proves a little superior to the Democrat led management team that held the water in early 2011, leaving the only option later to submerge Bangkok suburbs a meter deep in water......you may well reserve judgement, but I am confident Yingluck will see the work against flooding as a major opportunity to show how this elected government, at least on the topic of flooding, is an improvement on the last

Total b_____, mixing periods, a sound like a FROC.

May I suggest you do some homework first instead of trying to annoy people here ?

May I suggest you do some homework first instead of trying to annoy people here ?

Couldn't have asked for better validation of my comment....Thanks Rubl

Total b________ again. As you know the Minister of Agriculture admitted that around August / September 2011 he had delayed the release of water from some dams. That minister is part of the Yingluck Government/Cabinet. As you were part of discussions around 'flooding time' either your memory is failing you a wee bit here, or you're just plain and easy lying to annoy people which is against forum rules. I'll be kind, I'll assume the first rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

Total b________ again. As you know the Minister of Agriculture admitted that around August / September 2011 he had delayed the release of water from some dams. That minister is part of the Yingluck Government/Cabinet. As you were part of discussions around 'flooding time' either your memory is failing you a wee bit here, or you're just plain and easy lying to annoy people which is against forum rules. I'll be kind, I'll assume the first rolleyes.gif

You need to go back just a little further to the spring of the year Rubl, and ask why there were periods month on month where the lowest amount of water ever was released, in my opinion the dice were rolled by the time PTP formed government, you are of course welcome to disagree while losing your friendly dutch uncle label with your childish outbursts

You need to go back just a little further to the spring of the year Rubl, and ask why there were periods month on month where the lowest amount of water ever was released, in my opinion the dice were rolled by the time PTP formed government, you are of course welcome to disagree while losing your friendly dutch uncle label with your childish outbursts

Maybe you should read the 197 posts in this topic. A few from you as well. I'm not going into this again, all said already.

"Posted 2011-11-11 06:37:20

FLOOD CRISIS

I ordered a delay in the release of water from dam : Theera"

Inaccurate information, poor management and nature have all combined to unleash one of Thailand's worst floods in decades. When the newly elected government of prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra took office in early August, it wasted no time in rolling out populist policies catered to its up-country supporters, putting in motion the legacy of Yingluck's brother, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was deposed in a military coup five years ago and later convicted and exiled for corruption.

The jury is out on Yingluck's leadership and her ability to pull Thailand through the ongoing deluge. Whether and how she bounces back from this flooding crisis will define her premiership.

Early rainfall this year, intensified by a string of monsoonal storms, should have prompted early release of waters in the country's main upstream dams along the Chao Phraya river, the main waterway through the central region descending on Bangkok before it reaches the sea.

But the dams did not release enough water to accommodate the monsoons. When the dam gates gushed in earnest, torrential downpours came, thereby submerging adjacent provinces. The damage to farms and factories is likely to cost several billion pounds.

The government's response was initially inept. Different ministers issued different warnings. Inter-agency conflicts and lack of policy co-ordination were rife. Yingluck delegated and skirted around tough decisions. Her strengths of patience and even temperament became her weaknesses.

Information was not centralised and reliable. The saturation and sensationalism of television images on a constant news cycle made the public edgier. Yingluck has shifted gear and appears more in charge, having invoked additional laws to give her government more authority short of declaring a state of emergency, which would give the army more powers. http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/oct/21/thailand-floods-bangkok

Rubl - Despite your effort to derail the thread with your interpretation of how the dams suddenly filled to the brim on the first day of August....

The fact remains if this government under the leadership of Yingluck fix the flood problem for good, Thailand should be pleased (ok, excepting a few permanently disgruntled foreigners)

Edited by 473geo