Lost Usa Passport. What Happens With Visas?

Hi, all. I lost my passport (USA) in the klong. I think I have read enough posts to know how to get a new one here in BKK. I am on the extension of last usage of dual entry visa and need to get a new visa on 18 Feb, if I remember correctly.

So, I get a new passport, but how do I get a visa when there is no proof of visa? Any chance I will have bought more time by getting new passport, or am I screwed?

Thx,

- J

Believe you can obtain an emergency passport to allow travel home from embassy with police report of loss. It would take at least two weeks to obtain a new regular passport and it appears you will be overstay if you do that. I do not believe immigration makes exceptions for passport loss as you have the option to leave without a wait so it would mean 500 baht per day overstay in that case but check with Embassy.

Believe you can obtain an emergency passport to allow travel home from embassy with police report of loss. It would take at least two weeks to obtain a new regular passport and it appears you will be overstay if you do that. I do not believe immigration makes exceptions for passport loss as you have the option to leave without a wait so it would mean 500 baht per day overstay in that case but check with Embassy.

Thx, Lop. Will do!

Hmmm, believe that with the "issued" at the U.S. Embassy, the passport is good for travel anywhere, not just for travel back to the U.S.

Today being the 16th, you'd best get moving down to Wireless Road and the Consulate to sign up for a replacement. Get a FREE Thai police report for the loss, painless at most police stations, happens often enough.

Check out this www page: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/passports.html

Be good if you have some proof of just who you are

Time's running short as you also need to report to Thai Immigration after you get the new passport so they can look you up in their computer and create a new "Entry Stamp" to show that you're here legally.

Then you'll need to depart Thailand, and re-enter with a new visa if you want to do so.

Looking at the time line here, you might also end up paying a few days overstay as there's the weekend coming up.

Mac

It would depend on what validity passport was issued. The three month version would be useless for most travel other than return home.

Emergency passports are issued on a case by case basis, and are valid for three months up to one year, depending on circumstances. Presentation of evidence, such as a flight itinerary will be required for proof of genuine need for an emergency passport. Emergency passports require a minimum of 24 hours to process. We are prohibited from adding additional visa pages to an emergency passport.

I have noticed during my stay that there are many times we are asked for copies of our passports, either for banking, 90 day reports, and any other things that people think they need a copy for their office use. I maintain 3-4 copies of my passport with visa stamps for general use plus copies of the face page as required by my local immigration office for 90 day reports.

If my passport gets lost, easy to get a replacement (US) and I have the copies for immigration's use and transfer of stamps. I update my copies every year when I extand my visa, just one page and add the page to my passport copies. Works for me.

Edited by Mario2008
font size increased