Top 10 Jobs Shunned By Thais

webfact

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking twice now about my TEFL license. rolleyes.gif

Hell yes, the guy selling moo ping next to my local seven eleven works from 7 to midnight with his little cart and coal fired BBQ ... he has approximately 250 customers by evening and the minimum per head is 20 bht . cut the raw pork, plastic bags, wooden sticks coal and 100 baht to the sidewalk mafia he may be left with 1500-2000 baht a day ..... no wonder he can take 1 week breaks for holidays every 2 months.

Wow! That`s 50 customers an hour. He`ll also be working before he starts selling - cleaning his utensils and buying stock, so with that work rate he deserves his little holidays. I know the motorbike and sidecar food vendors in my own district which isn`t populated like Bangkok and they clear about 600 baht a day and the food is of good quality and variety. Not a fortune but it`s better than packing chickens or soldering PCB`s for 200 baht a day for some greedy factory boss, and they`ll never go hungry in their line of business.

Hell yes, the guy selling moo ping next to my local seven eleven works from 7 to midnight with his little cart and coal fired BBQ ... he has approximately 250 customers by evening and the minimum per head is 20 bht . cut the raw pork, plastic bags, wooden sticks coal and 100 baht to the sidewalk mafia he may be left with 1500-2000 baht a day ..... no wonder he can take 1 week breaks for holidays every 2 months.

Wow! That`s 50 customers an hour. He`ll also be working before he starts selling - cleaning his utensils and buying stock, so with that work rate he deserves his little holidays. I know the motorbike and sidecar food vendors in my own district which isn`t populated like Bangkok and they clear about 600 baht a day and the food is of good quality and variety. Not a fortune but it`s better than packing chickens or soldering PCB`s for 200 baht a day for some greedy factory boss, and they`ll never go hungry in their line of business.

2,000 Baht a day is about what the vendors make outside my condo in Bangkok ... at least that is what they tell me.

But no doubt Thais in general work much longer hours for considerably lower pay than folks in the west.

Economies of scale.

Are you trying to perpetuate a myth that Thais have a work ethic?

Some do - some don't.

Our office staff work 9-17 and have 2 days off every week. + the what is it - 15 days or so per year required by law.

If they should choose to come in on a Saturday or Sunday, they don't get extra pay for that.

Sometimes some of them do. Mostly managers and such.

Our construction workers ( 30% Thai, rest Myanmar ) work from 8-17 with 1 hour lunch and and afternoon break around 15.

They get 2 days off per month + the what ? 15 days or so required by law.

The workers are the ones with the least sense of worth ethic.

They will happily put up a wall 3 centimers off vertical.

So my take on the work ethic in Thailand is this:

The higher position and salary and responsibility, the more likely you are to have a good work ethic.

The lower position and the lower salary and responsibility you have, the more likely you couldn't care less about your job or the company you work for.

Note, that I'm not saying that it applies for all.

Previously I worked in the retail business in Thailand. And we tried the whole - get fewer, but more qualified people and pay them more approach.

In some cases it worked, in other cases they would crash and burn within a week.

End result was, that we was always looking for 2-3 people to hire, spending a lot of time training new ones.

So mixed emotions about that, wasn't an outright succes, nor an outright failure.

I may be off on the numbers but the guy never stops selling, there is always 5 to 10 people queuing around his cart at any time ... he is so successful that i sometimes fantasize that he is selling human meat ^_^ ... I mean what 's so special about his pork anyway ? i tried a couple times, its very average ( ears , intestines and some plain meat I guess he buys for very cheap from some slaughterhouse )

2,000 Baht a day is about what the vendors make outside my condo in Bangkok ... at least that is what they tell me.

At least that is what you believe.

well my nephew owns a minimart ( mom and pop style) but he regrets doing it as he makes less money than when he was a motosai so it must really depend of what you sell and where you are situated .

This is the top 10 jobs with the most vacancies, not the top 10 shunned. Most unemployed would be unqualified for most of those. The top 10 shunned would stuff that Burmese, Cambodian, and Lao immigrants do, fishing, house keeping, construction etc

> This is the top 10 jobs with the most vacancies, not the top 10 shunned.

True

> Most unemployed would be unqualified for most of those.

Not necessarily, more likely they would be able/willing to take such jobs if the income were higher. Different people have different alternatives to working for a living, and the "safety net" here is much broader than in the West, as it comes largely from family and private charity.

Some could be filled with higher salary but look at some of the jobs on the list, welder, electrician, machinery repairman, maintenance technician, accountant. These are skilled jobs and require training, and most employers want experience too. The average unemployed person can't do these jobs

Some of the street stall vendors near me have cars or pickup trucks, they're making decent money

I've overseen construction-related jobs in Thailand, and nearly always hire hill tribers. Reason: they don't mind doing menial things which may require getting their shoes, hands or clothes dirty. Thais show up for construction work wearing disco jeans and shiny shoes. If a farang is hiring, Thais expect to get paid twice as much as they expect to get from a Thai or Chinese employer.

I know this may offend many reading this, but Thai men are often either katoy or effemminate to the degree of not allowing a ray of sun on their faces, and having lily-soft skin and muscle tone. Just my observations of being in Thailand on and off for a quarter century.

For Thai men or women, if you offer a type of work which they're familiar with, then you'll likely get takers. If you offer any type of work which is 'outside the box' of familiarity, then they'll shun it - before even finding out what's entailed.

Many of those jobs Thailand refuses to give work permits to foreigners for!

What a system.

You would be taking a job of a Thai who doesn't want it anyway. The wife also tells me that Thai companies do not like to hire people over 35 as they are considered to old maybe that accounts for why some of these positions can't be filled

What a system.

You would be taking a job of a Thai who doesn't want it anyway. The wife also tells me that Thai companies do not like to hire people over 35 as they are considered to old maybe that accounts for why some of these positions can't be filled

Can't be filled? Who said they cannot be filled?

This is a snap shot of a moment in time done by a poll. Check the web sites of companies and job boards in the US for open positions. There are tons but that is a country with near 10% unemployment and not 1 or 1.5% like Thailand.

It would be a scary country/economy that didn't have available job openings.

Some of the street stall vendors near me have cars or pickup trucks, they're making decent money

All of the ones I am familiar with own either a house or condo.

A courageous assertion, Nisa! Now we know there are no such things as indisputable facts on TVF. All facts are indisputably disputable here. ;-)

But no doubt Thais in general work much longer hours for considerably lower pay than folks in the west.

Economies of scale.

Nope, simply stating indisputable facts.

All of the ones I am familiar with own either a house or condo.

I know loads of them owning a house or condo,belonging to the bank.

What a system.

This is a snap shot of a moment in time done by a poll. Check the web sites of companies and job boards in the US for open positions. There are tons but that is a country with near 10% unemployment and not 1 or 1.5% like Thailand.

You have stated several times already that Thailand has an unemployment figure of 1 to 1.5%.Now try to explain where these figures come from since there is no unemployment service in Thailand and social security is also in it's infancy.

You know the tourist arrivals are also constantly rising in Thailand,even with the airport closed.

I know loads of them owning a house or condo,belonging to the bank.

Actually the ones I know own them outright. In fact, most Thais I know own their homes outright. If they had a bank loan they paid it off very quickly are in the process of doing so ... unlike my friends back in the US who rarely own their home outright and many have second mortgages and currently owe more on their house to the bank than it is worth.

Does that figure include 80-year old women selling clothing and fruit by the roadside to scrape enough together for the day's meal? How are these statistics collected? Census? Tax returns? Social security claims? How?

What a system.

You have stated several times already that Thailand has an unemployment figure of 1 to 1.5%.Now try to explain where these figures come from since there is no unemployment service in Thailand and social security is also in it's infancy.

You know the tourist arrivals are also constantly rising in Thailand,even with the airport closed.

What a system.

LOL, yes I'm sure Thailand is also incapable of knowing what their GDP is too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_unemployment_rate

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/07/14/world.comparison.unemployment/index.html

http://www.indexmundi.com/thailand/unemployment_rate.html

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/unemployment-rates-list-by-country

http://thailand-business-news.com/national/10574-unemployment-rate-in-thailand-dropped-to-only-1-in-q4#.Tz5m2fHOWSo

Economies of scale.

Nope, simply stating indisputable facts.

A courageous assertion, Nisa! Now we know there are no such things as indisputable facts on TVF. All facts are indisputably disputable here. ;-)

I've yet to see anybody bring forth any info to dispute it.

Edited by Nisa

Does that figure include 80-year old women selling clothing and fruit by the roadside to scrape enough together for the day's meal? How are these statistics collected? Census? Tax returns? Social security claims? How?

Thailand Unemployment Rate

The unemployment rate in Thailand was last reported at 0.8 percent in November of 2011. From 2001 until 2010, Thailand's Unemployment Rate averaged 1.92 percent reaching an historical high of 5.73 percent in January of 2001 and a record low of 0.85 percent in December of 2007. The labour force is defined as the number of people employed plus the number unemployed but seeking work. The nonlabour force includes those who are not looking for work, those who are institutionalised and those serving in the military. This page includes: Thailand Unemployment Rate chart, historical data and news.

http://www.tradingec...employment-rate

Edited by Nisa

The unemployment rate in Thailand was last reported at 0.8 percent in November of 2011. From 2001 until 2010, Thailand's Unemployment Rate averaged 1.92 percent reaching an historical high of 5.73 percent in January of 2001 and a record low of 0.85 percent in December of 2007. The labour force is defined as the number of people employed plus the number unemployed but seeking work. The nonlabour force includes those who are not looking for work, those who are institutionalised and those serving in the military. This page includes: Thailand Unemployment Rate chart, historical data and news.

0.8 % in November 2011,at a time that the majority of the industrial industry in Thailand was flooded and all their workers unemployed.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Is the word stubborn familiar to you?

Please, bring forth something to dispute the FACT that "in general Thais work longer hours for less pay than those in the west" or stop being so stubborn about arguing a well known fact.

I'd be interested to get your answer to the original question. These statistics look highly disputable "facts" to me. Thanks.

Is the word stubborn familiar to you?

Please, bring forth something to dispute the FACT that "in general Thais work longer hours for less pay than those in the west" or stop being so stubborn about arguing a well known fact.

I have never said that they don't work more hours for less pay,even a blind man can see that,but I highly dispute the unemployment figures provided.

0.8 % in November 2011,at a time that the majority of the industrial industry in Thailand was flooded and all their workers unemployed.cheesy.gif

First of all "reported in Nov. 2011" is not the same as "figures for Nov. 2011"

You are also stating very incorrectly that the majority of the industrial industry in Thailand was shut down.

Amazing the length some posters will go to in order to maintain a doom / gloom superior feeling over Thais and Thailand.

Edited by Nisa

Obviously you have trouble reading what the definition unemployed (it is right in the post you are quoting). The folks in the plants were not seeking work and in fact most were still receiving pay. I'm guessing you think in the US that each week-end the unemployment rate goes up too as people are given days off.

You are also stating very incorrectly that the majority of the industrial industry in Thailand was shut down.

Amazing the length some posters will go to in order to maintain a doom / gloom superior feeling over Thais and Thailand.

You are correct,it includes the people SEEKING work,most Thais don't have an issue with that practice.