Smoke, Smog, Dust 2012 Chiang Mai

Tywais

Since there are three running topics on this important subject I felt it would be better to have one topic centralizing the on going information and data. Members can report the conditions in their area and updates of the pollution numbers (PCD) and questions in this topic. Also published news updates regarding local conditions.

Regional Daily Air Quality Data

aqmthai.com Air Quality Index

Previous topics on the subject:

Dusty Season Opening

Exactly How is the air quality in Chiang Mai?

Smog Threats in Chiang Mai Province

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great map thanks! wish it was a bit more high resolution but I guess the sheer number of red spots tell us what we also know when we look out the window - air quality is currently taking a steep dive.

I live on canal road and I can't see Doi Suthep. It's that bad.

I am out of here in a month, so will have to suffer through this for now. I'll be surprised if we don't have to take the kids to the hospital for some lung-related infection within the next month.

Edited by nikster

That map should be posted everywhere on the internet,it is a disgrace that this is going on here in Thailand so long with very little action from from the authorities.Forgt the terrorist warnings,this smog is much more dangerous and to many more people,

Roll on the rain!

What action would you suggest?

It appears that the Vietnamese are more advanced than Thailand and neighbors, at least from the point of view of no fires. (But also that the Chinese government not so.)

Perhaps northern Vietnam will become the next favourite for expats?

• Like 1

It appears that the Vietnamese are more advanced than Thailand and neighbors, at least from the point of view of no fires. (But also that the Chinese government not so.)

Perhaps northern Vietnam will become the next favourite for expats?

More advanced or stricter control I wonder. Also interesting to note from the map that Northern Australia uses the same ground clearing techniques, I find that particularly odd.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

Anecdotal, but today (Feb 17th) seems like the worst yet. No sign of the sun until 8.30 and as I write the scene outside has a sickly dull orange glow that reminds me of countless post apocalypse movies. Your reporter in Nong Hoi.

There was a fair amount of cloud on the eastern horizon this morning. We didn't see the sun until about 7.45, a dull red ball visible through the smog haze. Very eerie light :(

Anecdotal, but today (Feb 17th) seems like the worst yet. No sign of the sun until 8.30 and as I write the scene outside has a sickly dull orange glow that reminds me of countless post apocalypse movies. Your reporter in Nong Hoi.

Yup. We were in Pai last weekend and the air quality was deteriorating tremendously. Back to Chiang Mai, much better, but the last 2 days I think the really bad stuff has made its way down here.

LA sunsets here we come. Coughing everywhere, here we come. Various lung related diseases - it's open season. I have a runny nose, and I know why.

That map should be posted everywhere on the internet,it is a disgrace that this is going on here in Thailand so long with very little action from from the authorities.Forgt the terrorist warnings,this smog is much more dangerous and to many more people,

Roll on the rain!

Stop the burning.

Not that easy to change habits that have developed over hundreds of years. But also not impossible. It's people who are doing this - people are setting the forests and fields on fire. Those people can be stopped.

Edited by nikster

Roll on the rain!

Stop the burning.

Ok bright star, and just how do you propose to do that, how do you change a very cost effective habit of centuries for rural farmers? Also, what makes you think the pollution is caused by burning within Thailand, maybe the majority of it is carried in on air currents from China and the like!

Roll on the rain!

Stop the burning.

Ok bright star, and just how do you propose to do that, how do you change a very cost effective habit of centuries for rural farmers? Also, what makes you think the pollution is caused by burning within Thailand, maybe the majority of it is carried in on air currents from China and the like!

The little red dots on the map clearly show the problem is from here,or am I misreading it?

Just as an aside,we have a guest here from China suposedly for 2 more weeks and she has now booked her flight home at the weekend because of this appaling situation.

• Like 1

The red dots do indeed show prominenet fires and in that respect virtually all of Thailand and the neighbouring countries are are pretty much saturated. What is less clear, given the scale of the map, is exactly where the borders are and where the areas of fire density exist - on previous maps that I've seen there are large areas of high density fire areas to the West, North and East of Chiang Mai and the volume of significant fire spots in Chiang Mai/Rai province by comparison was minimal. So, to answer the question, we need a greater magnification map, Tywais, any chance?

This is via Google Translate so need to read via context, but pretty easy to get the idea. wink.png

Meetings in the district and provincial levels to monitor the situation through the VDO Conference with smoke. Wildfire closely. The Deputy Governor of Chiang Mai emphasized that all sectors of the provincial and district levels to prevent haze and forest fires intensified the situation was more serious attitude to prepare them to cope with all situations. continued on 15 Feb 55 at 13:30 am at City Hall, 3rd Floor, POC, Mr. Chapin Choochart sports Deputy Governor of Chiang Mai. Chairman of the relevant departments at the provincial and 25 district representatives of Chiang Mai.

To monitor the situation. And performance protection. The haze and forest fires through the VDO Conference by Mr. Larsen, Director, Office of Natural Resources Banpot flag and Chiang Mai have reported measurements of air quality in Chiang Mai. Between 1 January - 14 February 2555 that it was good to moderate air quality. It was found that the air quality standard (AQI) for 3 days between 9 - 11 February 2555 the amount of particles larger than 10 microns (PM10) 24-hour average ranged from 26.3 to 78.71 micrograms per cubic meter.

The air quality monitoring stations on February 15, 2555 at City Hall in the PM10 (mean 24 hours), the maximum 81.63 micrograms / cubic meter. And air quality monitoring station at Crown College, a school with the highest value 69.5 micrograms / cubic meter. For the record, and notify the fire. From October 1 - February 14, 2555 a fire in the 16 districts of 162 times the forest was burnt and damaged, including 963 acres in the area where the fire up and Hod have the cumulative total of 25 times the damage 160. acres, followed by the Doi Saket.

A forest fire statistics accumulated 20 107 hectares of damaged area of ​​the district's No. 3 on the statistics of the 19 retained fire damaged 68 acres of forest fire statistics collection period a week. Day 8 - February 14, 2555 occurred in 15 districts and 90 of the forest has been damaged, 548 acres for the 9th District is a fire in 2555 the District of Doi Lor Galyani Vadhana, Wiang Haeng Mae Mae Wang Chang Doi Tao. Sarapee San Pa Tong district and the representatives of 25 districts have reported the problem and prevent forest fires and haze in the area. By the public to raise awareness of the problem and the impact of forest fires and haze affecting public health. And cooperation in refraining from the burning of all kinds.

Chiang Mai News

2 pm and yet no sign of the sun here in Padet. But on he bright side, it will be cool all day. smile.png

• Like 1

I'm sure it's a product of Google translate but that report (post 26) is mostly unintelligible, the use of plus or minus when discussing PM10 levels is important! Important also to note is the information date of 15 February, retrospective at best.

Edited by chiang mai