Tipping Hotel Staff

Bucknaway

How much do you tip the hotel staff in Thailand and how do you do it?

On my last visit, I have been placing a 20 baht note on my used folded towels left on the floor.

When I am taken to the room by hotel staff, I have tipped them 40 to 50 baht. If they must carry my heavy bags then I go as high as 100 baht.

I don't tip the guys at the door when they open and close a taxi door for me.

Am I in the ballpark for tips?

I tip 20 B to the doorman when leaving the hotel if he helps me to carry my baggage to the taxi trunk.50 B/70 B if the doorman bring my baggage into the room after check-in.50 B/night for the maid,there are the 2 of us.I usually leave it under the glass in the bathroom.

I remember that on my 2nd trip to Thailand, I followed the bellboy to my room and once there I was looking in my wallet for a tip. He then told me. "500 bht good tip for me Sir" and I only chuckled and smiled to myself. I continued to search for a 50 baht note or 2 20 notes and he then said. 100 bht ok for me. He smiled at me when I gave him 50. HE then asked me how many times I come to Thailand and I told him it was my 2nd time hahahaha :o

I remember that on my 2nd trip to Thailand, I followed the bellboy to my room and once there I was looking in my wallet for a tip.  He then told me.  "500 bht good tip for me Sir"  and I only chuckled and smiled to myself.  I continued to search for a 50 baht note or 2 20 notes and he then said.  100 bht ok for me.  He smiled at me when I gave him 50.  HE then asked me how many times I come to Thailand and I told him it was my 2nd time hahahaha  :D

500bht taking the piss. Hmm wonder how many fall for that one? :o

I remember that on my 2nd trip to Thailand, I followed the bellboy to my room and once there I was looking in my wallet for a tip.  He then told me.  "500 bht good tip for me Sir"  and I only chuckled and smiled to myself.  I continued to search for a 50 baht note or 2 20 notes and he then said.  100 bht ok for me.  He smiled at me when I gave him 50.  HE then asked me how many times I come to Thailand and I told him it was my 2nd time hahahaha  :D

Why would you tip someone that is rudely trying to rip you off? People who asks for tips never get any cash from me, pisses me off. :o

Why would you tip someone that is rudely trying to rip you off? People who asks for tips never get any cash from me, pisses me off. :o

Couldnt put it any better - you ask you shall not recieve!! :D

He then told me.  "500 bht good tip for me Sir" 

500bht taking the piss. Hmm wonder how many fall for that one? :D

Why would you tip someone that is rudely trying to rip you off?  People who asks for tips never get any cash from me, pisses me off. :D

500 bht for tip!! :D i 'd say .." i have a used tampon ... value more than 1000 bht..want one?"

:o forget it , still insist on 20-100 bht depends how good he/she sevice

He was serious. Later he tried to scam me on a taxi to the airport. Wanted me to pay the driver 400 baht.

I think he was simply trying to get every cent he could. But I do not think he is at that hotel any longer. I did not see him there when I was there last.

Maybe he was just kidding???Did he say it while smiling to me?

Yes, you are in the ballpark.

Best advice I've ever received for good service in Thailand, "tip early and often".

So I start tipping as soon as I arrive: not excessive, but often.

For bellboys who carry bags to room, 100 baht, same as you.

My bags have rolling wheels so easy to do myself, but I want to make friends,

rather than save a few baht.

I give 40-50 baht to room maid every day.

If I don't see her one day, then I make up for it next day, or day after that.

Or I will walk down the hall and hand the tip to her.

Word gets around than I am "jai-dee", and they take care of me.

If one maid, she gets it all (40-50 baht every day).

If two maids make up my room, then 20 baht each per day.

I plan ahead to have small bills available.

I stay long time - month or more - and always get everything I ask for:

extra towels, extra water, extra pillow, more shampoo, etc.

Plus, because I use the same hotels again and again, I actively look for ways to tip the staff: word gets around and I get treated very well.

Any small service or favor, minimum 50 or, more usually, 100 baht.

Examples:

Reception staff writes address of some location for taxi driver in Thai.

Bellboy provides me with hotel umbrella, saving me trip back to my room.

Doorman goes out into the rain to flag down a taxi for me.

In Thailand, "money talks".

I've learned that a little money, handed in person, with a smile, says a lot about you to Thai people.

Donald Trump says in one of his books (that I stand over the shops and read :D ) that hotel staff are the best people to tip, get it in quick and will they take care of loads of stuff for you quicker than they would do for anyone else, whether its company for the night you want, a taxi, room service or whatever which of course makes sense.

If someone asks for a tip though, thats bad service, and should never be rewarded.

I kinda expect Trump tips more than us lot though. :o

I tip fairly religiously- and not overmuch- at any place that I plan to go to regularly [that assumes that the service is at least decent, which is one of the requirements anyway for my wanting to go there regularly! :o].

I find that people suddenly remember my name, know what I usually want to eat or drink, find good tables for me, make a point of greeting me or even give me little welcome hugs... I get extra glasses of water or garnishes without asking, and if I'm at a [legitimate, really!] massage place, instead of being just shy of an hour the massage will keep on going almost up to the next quarter hour mark.

After all, in some types of service jobs it only takes 5 20B tips a day to *double* their monthly salary. A sobering thought.

"Steven"

I believe most contributors on this thread are forgetting that there are two Thailands. Bangkok, and then the rest of Thailand. In all the previous threads, wherever you see "Thailand" think "Bangkok".

Bangkok has become like any other capitol, cosmopolitan city; and one of the effects of internationalization is the practice of expecting tips in the service industry--a cultural expropriation from the West.

The rest of Thailand follows the traditional SE Asian practice of "no tipping". C'mon you blokes, get outta the city and enjoy some homespun country hospitallity where the people are just tickled to death to have a job paying them 150 baht a day, and don't expect you to ante up extra to show your appreciation.

If you decide to give a tip, it's that much more appreciated, but I've never gotten that "attitude" of "I expect a tip out of you gullible rich farangs." More often than not, people in the upcountry enjoy serving you for the sake of hosptitality and good service without the other hand outstretched, waiting for you to fill it.

It's another reason for, after three days in money-grubbing BKK and no smiles in the "LOS", I can't wait to get back upcountry where people see me as more than just another 100-baht note.

From Farang Country Boy

Moved this thread from Gay forum.  If it doesn't belong here, please move it to an even better place.

have i missed something?

re tip ..only ever leave some change for the room cleaners /chambermaids....usually satang but sometimes the odd baht..... :o

so wot have I missed..

He was serious.  Later he tried to scam me on a taxi to the airport.  Wanted me to pay the driver 400 baht.

I think he was simply trying to get every cent he could.  But I do not think he is at that hotel any longer.  I did not see him there when I was there last.

Maybe he was just kidding???Did he say it while smiling to me?

...and there you go. Whoever asks for tips gets nothing. Simple concept.

Yes, you are in the ballpark.

Best advice I've ever received for good service in Thailand, "tip early and often".

So I start tipping as soon as I arrive: not excessive, but often.

For bellboys who carry bags to room, 100 baht, same as you.

My bags have rolling wheels so easy to do myself, but I want to make friends,

rather than save a few baht.

I give 40-50 baht to room maid every day.

If I don't see her one day, then I make up for it next day, or day after that.

Or I will walk down the hall and hand the tip to her.

Word gets around than I am "jai-dee", and they take care of me.

If one maid, she gets it all (40-50 baht every day).

If two maids make up my room, then 20 baht each per day.

I plan ahead to have small bills available.

I stay long time - month or more - and always get everything I ask for:

extra towels, extra water, extra pillow, more shampoo, etc.

Plus, because I use the same hotels again and again, I actively look for ways to tip the staff: word gets around and I get treated very well.

Any small service or favor, minimum 50 or, more usually, 100 baht.

Examples:

Reception staff writes address of some location for taxi driver in Thai.

Bellboy provides me with hotel umbrella, saving me trip back to my room.

Doorman goes out into the rain to flag down a taxi for me.

In Thailand, "money talks".

I've learned that a little money, handed in person, with a smile, says a lot about you to Thai people.

It may be 'little money' to you, what it seems to say about you is: "here comes the atm dude who will tip half a days wage for a small favour!" :D

I tend to get decent service by being polite and leaving the occasional tip, rather than having a worked out tipping schedule.

Each to their own. :o

Thanks, Toptuan: You took the words right out of my mouth.

If you escape the clutches of "Westernised" / tourist Thailand, the country and the people change - for the better. As much as I love Pattaya for the fun times and eating farang food and speaking English with Thais, it's like taking off a pair of army boots and putting on a pair of slippers when I get to Issan.

I love the people who treat me as a friend and give genuine smiles and laugh (with me) as I practice my Thai language.

Sure I tip, but a few baht here and there are much more appreciated than the perpetual hand in the wallet every few minutes in 'the Big Smoke.'

Peter

Back in the early 1980s, as international tourism began to pick up, it did not take too long for the local business community in Bangkok to take notice of this seemingly bizarre practice of Farangs tipping lowly servants. Most of you have no idea how disconcerting this behavior appeared to the average Thai business owner. I mean watching white folks give money they rightfully felt belonged to them to some dark skinned indentured laborer from Isaan. We are talking sleepless nights here. So they then had the government implement the mandatory service tax of 15% in tourist hotels and restaurants to help prevent such incomprehensible, and unacceptable behavior.

Yes, there are a few hotels that actually dole out the "service" charge to employees, most notably the Oriental. But the majority simply pocket the cash.

My 2 cents... (1 baht, that is)

1) Don't tip. All tipping [by others] devaluates my tip currency so it should cease. Now, please.

2) If you absolutely, definitively must throw your money away, give it to someone in need instead. *) Hotel people have jobs. Everyone does not. And there is no social security in Thailand, you know. Last week I gave 1000 baht to a very old woman selling flowers... I have seen her selling those flowers before and she is quite lovely but it doesn't seem to be a good business. She didn't see what the note was as she put it straight into her pocket and that's very good, as otherwise I would have been a bit embarassed really. Now, 1000 baht might be quite a lot but I'll just say no to the next 10, 100, 1000 or so hotel servants, beggars and such, and perhaps it makes a difference in HER life. At least I can brag about it here and have lots of new farang friends all of a sudden. Indeed, if you're a poor street vendor in your eighties, it might be your lucky day!

3) If you still insist in tipping servants, try something new. Give a tip at 7-Eleven. I've done that a couple of times, and they were very surprised. (I hope not negatively, though?)

*) Warning: According to the Surgeon General, donating money to those in need has helped people go to heaven and/or achieve englightenment. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Edited by Krit

^Ummmm.... I'd recommend NOT tipping street beggars unless you're sure they're locals. Many beggars around stations and in tourist areas are mafia plants, and encouraging their trade has actually led to such horrors as families mutilating their children so that they would be more effective beggars.

I'm afraid I must not live in the same Bangkok as many of the previous posters (though I admit I live in a cardboard box and the perspective might be different in one of the high-rise condos in the Emporium). In pleasantly mid-to-upscale places I tip roughly 10% if it's deserved [and if there's no service charge already in the bill], and generally the service does improve markedly afterwards, which is a good thing if one is planning to go back. I rarely get harassed either for a tip or for a larger tip [it may have something to do with my demonstrating a bit of Thai language and a familiarity with local places, prices, etc.] No, I don't tip in food courts or in markets, etc., but in those places the "service" is more about moving the product over the counter into my waiting hand than anything else.

I tip the pizza drivers 20B, and in general it has saved me more money than I've spent on the tips! [the drivers give me a better deal than I knew I could get, or give me back my coupon to use again, etc., etc.]. Now is that Thai or what?

I'm a city boy, so it's more important to me to be in the city than to move to the country for the sake of not tipping. [yes, I'm sure there are loads of reasons why I should move to the country, but this is a tipping thread! :o]

"Steven"

^Ummmm.... I'd recommend NOT tipping street beggars unless you're sure they're locals.  Many beggars around stations and in tourist areas are mafia plants, and encouraging their trade has actually led to such horrors as families mutilating their children so that they would be more effective beggars.

Good point there. Actually I never give money to children because I'm afraid their parents may keep them from going to school if they earn on the street. Haven't thought of children being mutilated, but I can image even such atrocity might happen.

Anyway, I think it should be quite safe giving some dough to non-mutilated old ladies selling roses - they are not even beggars but I would imagine their business is not exactly blooming (pun intended). I have to admit I would rather sip my Moët & Chandon without intervening street vendors really, and the staff usually does a good job keeping them from coming too near, but in this particular situation the whole setting felt quite bizarre all of a sudden and, feeling the white man's burden on my narrow shoulders, I was in fact nearly in tears once again.

In this case I believe the restaurant manager's heart went out for the lady too, as he apparently saw me hand something to her and later whispered into my ear, Sir I saw you gave money to the old lady, thank you, you have a very good heart. He even gave me a free cappuccino for the stunt. (And now say you, he was just waiting for his own tip, you cynics.)

No, I don't tip in food courts or in markets, etc., but in those places the "service" is more about moving the product over the counter into my waiting hand than anything else.

Yes well, this depends. Nowadays, whicky, beer and such essentials seem to be moving swiftly over the counter into my waiting hand - regardless of what time it is. :o