Tipping Hotel Staff

Bucknaway

3) If you still insist in tipping servants, try something new. Give a tip at 7-Eleven. I've done that a couple of times, and they were very surprised. (I hope not negatively, though?)

Lets not forget the BTS drivers, the people who sell you the newspaper, the bus driver..................... Why dont we tip them?

They are in the service industry, they have got crap wages, why dont you spread your largesse to them as well? Oh thats right, you dont need them to be at your beck and call.

Oh almost forgot, tip the security guards on the bts as well and since we are now an equal society we must tip the ticket machines.

Some of you folks have to get your perspectives changed. Giving a tip to someone to write down a phone number????? A tip is supposed to be for EXCELLENT service, not just doing what is after all their job.

I am guilty of over-tipping in LOS with everybody. I feel sorry for how much money they are making and I have it to give, so why not give a little extra? I know it ruins the curve but so what. Plus, in my business, being that I am really superstitious about luck and all, I feel I have to be overtly nice and giving to people. It seems to work for me so I will continue to give as much as I can.

3) If you still insist in tipping servants, try something new. Give a tip at 7-Eleven. I've done that a couple of times, and they were very surprised. (I hope not negatively, though?)

Lets not forget the BTS drivers, the people who sell you the newspaper, the bus driver..................... Why dont we tip them?

They are in the service industry, they have got crap wages, why dont you spread your largesse to them as well? Oh thats right, you dont need them to be at your beck and call.

Oh almost forgot, tip the security guards on the bts as well and since we are now an equal society we must tip the ticket machines.

Some of you folks have to get your perspectives changed. Giving a tip to someone to write down a phone number????? A tip is supposed to be for EXCELLENT service, not just doing what is after all their job.

The OP was about tipping hotel staff :o

Think you guys are generous to bell boys at 100 a time for 3 minutes work at a job they are paid to do. I will usually tip them, but not to that extent. If i've just arrived in town, may have no small change, i explain this, ask their name, & have a good look at their face. I'll give them a tip a day or so later when i see them next.

Usually leave 100 bht for room maids if they've kept the room & bathroom nice & only on stays of more than 2 or 3 days.

Something i often wonder about here though & would appreciate you guy's thoughts. I usually leave it somewhere reasonably obvious, but if possible not directly on show. This is because when you check out, reception phones the landing & gets the nearest maid (not necessarily the one that's kept your room clean) to check your the room over, stuff used from mini bar, correct number of towels, etc. If its obvious, she's gonna pocket it whilst she's in there. Later your real maid goes in to clean up & thinks your a tight ass 'cos you didn't leave her anything!

I never give to beggars, kids or otherwise, even though some of the dirty kids on the floor in the street in BKK are a heart wrenching sight.

Never tip those who ask for one....except for giving them the tip of not asking next time!

Bars (Pattaya style) usually 20bht even if i've only had one drink in there.

Restos: If, & only if, good service, 20 bht or around 10% depending on my mood & the service/food.

Got told off by my ex. Thai girl friend, who knows i'm by no means wealthy, for these constant 20 bht tips as being too much. She said the coin change is more than adequate.

She also told me about how Farangs who throw huge tips around are laughed at & seen as gullible mugs.

One of the things i do back home in the uk is to drive articulated lorries. I often get my loads to the correct delivery address,(which are often incomplete, missleading, etc.) undamaged, & on time. I then manouvre the truck as close as possible to the unloading point & help with the unloading. (maybe in the rain) Do i get a tip? Yeah......"you can't park in here for your rest break driver...on you're way."

Edited by Lancashirelad