City To Spend 140 Million Baht On Pattaya Beach Beautification

Rimmer

City to spend 140 million baht on Pattaya Beach beautification

n1-beach-1.jpg

PATTAYA:-- Pattaya will spend 140 million baht to upgrade landscaping along Pattaya Beach as it waits for government approval of its erosion-repair project.

Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome said Feb. 7 the planting of new trees and gardens, painting and other work will begin in March. The project is split into five zones, with the first zone to be improved running from the Dusit Thani Hotel to Soi 6.

The second zone, spanning the beachfront from Soi 6 to Central Road, is planned as the city’s main center for beach activities and will see workers spruce up the dolphin fountain. The third zone, running to Soi 11, will see improvements aimed at maximizing the enjoyment of public spaces, the mayor said, while zone 4, running down to Walking Street, will have gardens installed to serve as backdrops for tourists’ photos and relax after strolling along Walking Street.

Full story:http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/city-to-spend-140-million-baht-on-pattaya-beach-beautification-10147

pattayamaillogo.png

-- Pattaya Mail 2012-02-17 footer_n.gif

How about having the city register all the beach stroll sex workers and require them to carry a beach walking-working permit. This could be used to deter against the druggings, thieving, and murdering that happens to punters related to beach street pickups.

Edited by Jingthing

Why does every topic need a a reference to the jet-skis problem ?

There is a very long thread on that if you want to add something useful.

It is sarcasm to highlight the fact that they can beautify it as much as they want but the beach will remain a rip off area. Till that's stopped expect to see comments about the scam at every opportunity.

How about having the city register all the beach stroll sex workers and require them to carry a beach walking-working permit. This could be used to deter against the druggings, thieving, and murdering that happens to punters related to beach street pickups.

Why does every topic need a a reference to the sex workers on beach road problem ?

There is not a very long thread on it but you can start one, if you want to add something useful.

Sorry Petercool couldn't help myself. You obviously woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

I don't understand this part... "an additional traffic lane will be added to Beach Road. This will take away about 3 meters of the promenade along the 3 kilometer road, leaving the footpath, although it will be thinner."

What happens at the turn just before Walking Street? Will the additional lane merge back into lane 2 (lane 1 being next to the businesses), will those beer bars at the turn be knocked down? Seems strange.

• Like 1

I don't understand this part... "an additional traffic lane will be added to Beach Road. This will take away about 3 meters of the promenade along the 3 kilometer road, leaving the footpath, although it will be thinner."

What happens at the turn just before Walking Street? Will the additional lane merge back into lane 2 (lane 1 being next to the businesses), will those beer bars at the turn be knocked down? Seems strange.

Of course they will be knocked down,they doing that for the past 19 years if I remember correctly.

I am a long term Pattaya resident and I'm always happy to hear about new plans to upgrade the city's landscape. My problem is that it seems that the lion's share of the money allocated to the project ends up in someone's pocket and the city is left with a mess. I am all for upgrading the appearance of Pattaya but please be smart about it. It seems silly to me to spend money to put in traffic light and then NEVER turn them on. How does that help anyone other than the guy who got the contract money to do the work? It's too bad there isn't some sort of oversight committee for this stuff but I do know that TIT and will just live with what does come of all this.

funnily enough they have just in the last couple of weeks paved the area between the path and the road, now they will have to pull it up again

hopefully they wont get around to doing this, if anything they should take a lane off that road, theres already too much traffic going no where on it and with an extra lane they will have to put in either policed pedistrian crossings or overbridges so people can get to the beach without being run over

Actually on the turn just before walking street it is already 3 lanes. Was just down there last night and paying attention. Pattaya Tai is 3 lanes as is just before the turn (including the turn). The problem around there tends to be the 1 lane (or 2) that is full or parked baht busses,

funnily enough they have just in the last couple of weeks paved the area between the path and the road, now they will have to pull it up again

hopefully they wont get around to doing this, if anything they should take a lane off that road, theres already too much traffic going no where on it and with an extra lane they will have to put in either policed pedistrian crossings or overbridges so people can get to the beach without being run over

Don't worry about that,if they widen the road and extend the promenade that it will keep it's current size,there will be no beach left anymore hence the no need for pedestrian crossings or bridges.

between xmas and new year there was a market selling the usual tat along much of the coconut bar.

walking along it was almost impossible. I have seen stalls there many times but this was much worse than usual. walking up the beach instead was also almost impossible as the beach chairs were down to the water level so unless you walked in the water no way through.

if they reduce the coconut bar any more by grabbing a few metres for more road god help us all next time they put the stalls up

This is even more crazy than their (now abandoned) pie in the sky monorail idea!!

They should be looking towards REDUCING traffic inside the city, eradicate half the baht buses, strictly enforce parking regulations, and seriously fine these tour buses that park as they feel along beach road!!

This statement is a bit weird?? Pattaya will spend 140 million baht to upgrade landscaping along Pattaya Beach as it waits for government approval of its erosion-repair project. Have they nothing else to do in the meantime??

LOL...in summary, Beach Road will be widened at the expense of the beach. All the bull about "beautification" is just to mask the real intent. Here is the un-edited version:

Due to City Hall's inability to safeguard one of Pattaya's natural asset i.e. its beach, it is hoped that some tinkering around the edges plus a few band aid solutions may help City Hall avoid accusations of "not doing anything".

Similarly, due to the authorities inability to better manage traffic resulting in chaos on Beach Rd whenever some third rate flea market is in progress or when another dozen Bangkokians drive in for the weekend, it is hoped that a road widening project disguised as "beautification" would alleviate some of the traffic jams that develop on Beach Road.