New Yamaha Nouvo Injected

inzman

jamesbrock----Don't get me wrong I think the Hayate is a very sound bike and much stouter than the Mios, Clicks, Finadas, PIsadas and so on. And a much better choice than a Vespa with its roller skate wheels. There is no reason to take a real beating if you are thinking of going to the Elegance 135 if you are going to lose your butt on the Hayate. And as for the 125 FI Elegance we will all have to just wait and see. i mentioned it is likely to be somewhat down in power compared to the 135 carbed model, but what gets me even more is its miniscule fuel tank at just 4.3 liters. If I were Yamaha I would have made the 4,8 liter tank slightly bigger with a bit of redesign work. Okay....it went the wrong way reducing tank capacity from 4.8 liters to 4.3. Had it gone the other way by the same 1/2 liter it would have a 5.3 liter tank to the new PCX's 5,9. Probably offer as good or even better range then which would make the pill much less bitter going from 135 c'c's to 125.

But again, we will have to wait and see. The Ninja 250 makes more horsepower than a CBR 250. But, the CBR 250 from all that I have read makes more usable horsepower for the speeds we would likely be using the bikes for. Perhaps the same will be true for the new Nouvo SX. But d-----m-t.......a 4.3 liter fuel tank. That's tinker toy city.

Yeah, I must say the drop in engine size and fuel tank capacity has tilted the balance back to the Hayate's favour, even if the 125 Nouvo is still 0.8 HP up... After all, a bird in the hand and all that...

I own the newer Hayate 125Fi (8,000k) and have owned the Elegance. This comparison of a Rolex to a knock-off is overdone. The Hayate is every bit as quick and light footed in town, agile and comfortable. Nothing has been less than perfect with my Hayate so far - nothing.

Elegance probably shows to advantage in the torque department uphill and may be slightly steadier at max cruise, not that I experience a wiggle with the 'Zuki. Also, recently alloy wheels got you tubeless tires with the Elegance and I believe (shocked, I am) that the Yamaha gets better mileage, a bit, due to liquid cooling and diasi (tight specs). It's easy to add a top box to the Yamaha as the company provides the parts - not Zuki.

Style aside, I cannot see the new SX as being an upgrade - rather the reverse. Nothing would convince me to trade in my Hayate for this new disappointment. As an added note, I prefer the twin headlight arrangement used by the Elegance (and Hayate and...) as it defines clearly a motorbike coming toward you; single lamps or over and under leave some doubt (car with on bulb out?).

Hey CMX, thanks for posting; I was hoping you'd turn up to provide some balance, as I'd been reading your posts going back to buying your Hayate.

As I wrote earlier, I've been riding the Hayate for six or seven weeks now, and really liked it. Physically, it's a great size for me, yet it's nimble enough to weave through traffic pretty easily. I'm currently in Samui, and I've not once thought I'd like more torque that the Hayate gave me, especially two-up between Lamai and Chaweng.

Stylistically, I actually like the Hayate better than the Elegance, especially the red model I had/have with it's black alloys, and I like them even moreso after this upgrade.

All in all, I reckon I will keep the Hayate, as, in all honesty, the new Nouvo is quite a disappointment, but it's been good to get both your and Jack's opinion.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but the question was asked "what alternatives do you have in this price range?" and I am surprised at how rarely the Hayate comes up in comparison with the Nouvo...

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jamesbrock----Don't get me wrong I think the Hayate is a very sound bike and much stouter than the Mios, Clicks, Finadas, PIsadas and so on. And a much better choice than a Vespa with its roller skate wheels. There is no reason to take a real beating if you are thinking of going to the Elegance 135 if you are going to lose your butt on the Hayate. And as for the 125 FI Elegance we will all have to just wait and see. i mentioned it is likely to be somewhat down in power compared to the 135 carbed model, but what gets me even more is its miniscule fuel tank at just 4.3 liters. If I were Yamaha I would have made the 4,8 liter tank slightly bigger with a bit of redesign work. Okay....it went the wrong way reducing tank capacity from 4.8 liters to 4.3. Had it gone the other way by the same 1/2 liter it would have a 5.3 liter tank to the new PCX's 5,9. Probably offer as good or even better range then which would make the pill much less bitter going from 135 c'c's to 125.

But again, we will have to wait and see. The Ninja 250 makes more horsepower than a CBR 250. But, the CBR 250 from all that I have read makes more usable horsepower for the speeds we would likely be using the bikes for. Perhaps the same will be true for the new Nouvo SX. But d-----m-t.......a 4.3 liter fuel tank. That's tinker toy city.

Yeah, I must say the drop in engine size and fuel tank capacity has tilted the balance back to the Hayate's favour, even if the 125 Nouvo is still 0.8 HP up... After all, a bird in the hand and all that...

I own the newer Hayate 125Fi (8,000k) and have owned the Elegance. This comparison of a Rolex to a knock-off is overdone. The Hayate is every bit as quick and light footed in town, agile and comfortable. Nothing has been less than perfect with my Hayate so far - nothing.

Elegance probably shows to advantage in the torque department uphill and may be slightly steadier at max cruise, not that I experience a wiggle with the 'Zuki. Also, recently alloy wheels got you tubeless tires with the Elegance and I believe (shocked, I am) that the Yamaha gets better mileage, a bit, due to liquid cooling and diasi (tight specs). It's easy to add a top box to the Yamaha as the company provides the parts - not Zuki.

Style aside, I cannot see the new SX as being an upgrade - rather the reverse. Nothing would convince me to trade in my Hayate for this new disappointment. As an added note, I prefer the twin headlight arrangement used by the Elegance (and Hayate and...) as it defines clearly a motorbike coming toward you; single lamps or over and under leave some doubt (car with on bulb out?).

Hey CMX, thanks for posting; I was hoping you'd turn up to provide some balance, as I'd been reading your posts going back to buying your Hayate.

As I wrote earlier, I've been riding the Hayate for six or seven weeks now, and really liked it. Physically, it's a great size for me, yet it's nimble enough to weave through traffic pretty easily. I'm currently in Samui, and I've not once thought I'd like more torque that the Hayate gave me, especially two-up between Lamai and Chaweng.

Stylistically, I actually like the Hayate better than the Elegance, especially the red model I had/have with it's black alloys, and I like them even moreso after this upgrade.

All in all, I reckon I will keep the Hayate, as, in all honesty, the new Nouvo is quite a disappointment, but it's been good to get both your and Jack's opinion.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but the question was asked "what alternatives do you have in this price range?" and I am surprised at how rarely the Hayate comes up in comparison with the Nouvo...

the lack of suzuki dealers alone would be enough to make me buy an elegance (old model )

i will reserve judgement on the new model for a while but it seems like a glorified mio more than an improved elegance

with the smaller tank and smaller engine

the old liquid cooling system in the 135cc diasil engine works perfectly ,i dont see any reason to pay extra to change the cooling

new headlight is a matter of style over substance

all digital speedo and panel may look nice but not a main featuure of a bike IMO

Does anybody have any recent information on when we might see the new 125fi Nouvo here in Chiang Mai? I talked to a guy in the Yamaha showroom last month and he indicated this month but I don't know how reliable his information is. I've been putting off a purchase of a new PCX or Click until I try the Nouvo. Now that the air is clearing up I'm getting anxious.

thanks....

Does anybody have any recent information on when we might see the new 125fi Nouvo here in Chiang Mai? I talked to a guy in the Yamaha showroom last month and he indicated this month but I don't know how reliable his information is. I've been putting off a purchase of a new PCX or Click until I try the Nouvo. Now that the air is clearing up I'm getting anxious.

thanks....

I have found dealerships to be the absolutely least reliable and untrustworthy sources of information. Examples...the only dealership manager I ever felt who had her shit in one sock, a woman who headed the Naklua Honda dealership, has recently left for another job. I found a new woman sitting on the floor with a baby. This woman kept referring to this dealership as "her shop". Another woman who has been there for years, is supposedly the manager, however. The woman with the baby told me 1. the new Yamaha FI was definitely a 135 and it might be in another shop near Carre Four. This woman does not seem to defer to the other woman who I had been informed is the manager so I really don't even know who the manager is. That was a couple of weeks ago and needless to say the new Yamaha has not appeared anywhere to date, and it is not going to be a 135.

I then went to the main Mitterand shop to get more info on the new 150 PCX---specifically to find out what is the capacity of the new model's fuel tank. I had seen a Thai brochure on this bike online and I saw a number reading 5.9 and felt it was for the fuel capacity but wasn't sure because I can't read Thai. So, at Mityon I went straight up to the main counter and asked what size of fuel tank the new PCX had. Meanwhile there were at least a half a dozen brand new PCX 150's on the showroom floor. The first woman told me she didn't know. Another woman said something about a catalog. Someone else said the fuel tank was same as the 125's. I was appalled, thinking, "You got a "catalog" with the specs. So show it to me you lazy oafs." All three women were as useless as tits on a boar. When I asked them about the new upcoming Yamaha Nouvo FI they told me they didn't know a thing about it. A saleswoman then latched onto my gf and me. She told me quietly that the new Nouvo would be a 125, not a 135 and that she was sure of that. But when I pointed at the fuel tank of a PCX 150 she told me it was the same size of the 125. She was very wrong of course.

Three days ago I revisited this dealership as I was already in the area. I had been back to my Yamaha dealership, the large on called Washara Marine over on Sukamvit where the mechanic failed to put in a new battery when I asked him to and a new rear brake pad. Upon collecting my bike this mechanic (who did change the oil, spark plug and gave the bike a going over) told me the bike did not need a new battery and the brake that was squealing for the first couple of kilometers in the morning was actually the front brake. I was in the neighborhood so I was about to have the brake pd and battery installed at the main Mityon dealer. I thought the service department was right up next to the sales showroom but no......it's up the street a few hundred meters on 3rd road I was told. Upon taking my Elegance there I was dumfounded by how congested the place was. So feeling my bike would be laid up there too long I went to Washara Marine up on Sukamvit again.

I was greeted by the same mechanic so I told him very politely that I really wanted a battery put in and the rear brake pad. He was very polite. Another man came out to talk to me about what I wanted done as the mechanic's English was very poor. Anyway....the mechanic wheeled my bike into the service area where he immediately got to work on it.

While waiting for the bike to be finished I went into the showroom area where the sales girl in charge showed me all the new bikes. She showed me an older model Nouvo Elegance with the carburetor and told me I could get one in three colors, then she showed me the fuel injected Fiore, the new TTX and the Filano which appears to be a dressed up Fiore. She showed me the luggage compartment of all the bikes and then she gave me brochures for all five models. But she didn't know a dam_n thing about the new Nouvo 125 SX other than she'd have one "next month". Well next month is May and we've all been hearing this new fuel injected Nouvo will arrive in April.

So, after all of this, I have found out one helluva lot more online than I have found out from three dealerships. But I will say this......I have to date bought three motorbikes from Wachara Marine, and although the dealership has a bad location for me and the English skills of most of the personnel there are not up to what I have found elsewhere, I really like the dealership. I have found the prices here to run a thousand baht or so less than elsewhere, the people there are very courteous and service is most prompt.

But what should you do? I have a very good friend who is arriving here in Pattaya right after Songkran on the 21st. He's been renting Elegances and he's been wanting to buy his first bike. This last visit he was told to wait until April for the new models to come out. Although I have urged him to give the PCX 150 a good look, he absolutely won't bite. Although he must weigh around 140 kilograms or so which makes me think the PCX might be preferable to him, he absolutely despises it. So...he's going to wait and see if the new Nouvo is available by the time her arrives. If it isn't he's going to simply keep renting until it is and he's dead set on getting the new Nouvo whether it's a 125 or a 135. Amazing......there's four of us Americans who hang together in our little group. Two still live in the U.S., at least part time and Ross and I live in Pattaya full time. Ross has had his Elegance for more than four years and put on more than 27,000 kilometers so he's thinking of getting a new one....but he is also dead set on the Yamaha Nouvo. The fourth still lives in the U.S. most of the year and he's about six foot six and weighs 280 or so. He won't have anything to do with a PCX either, finding rental Elegances to be ideal for his needs.

I am not you, but I'd wait. Although I've been very critical of Yamaha's downsizing its 135 to a 125 and putting in a smaller fuel tank, I think the upcoming Nouvo SX will be a very attractive little number. From what I have gleaned from internet videos it's going to have some rather compelling features such as an electronics display that will measure fuel consumption (I think) and new technology headlights and tail lights. Although this is not enough to make me want to trade in my Elegance, from the videos at least, this new model is very appealing. I'd hate having to rush out and buy something now and find out just one month later..."I really wish I had bought the new Nouvo instead."

I saw 3 in the back of a pickup truck Friday afternoon and 2-3 days before that i saw some TTX models being transported down the same road.

I have seen the TTX models in most dealerships around my area (Latkrabang Bangkok) But yet to see the Nouvo SX, having seen some in a pickup truck i'm sure they will be released this month. After all the advertising flyers are out for both models, yet only the TTX is in the dealership, can't be long now :)

I am putting something together and it should be online by evening (Pattaya time). Just for fun I'm putting up in the Looking Glass both facts and speculation on the upcoming Nouvo SX including my own guesswork as to its fuel economy. There will also be a lot on the TTX and the fuel injected Fiore such as pictures of spec sheets, etc. Karlos, I think you are right on this score so I'm going to get really busy on this.

Anyone care to make a stab at what Yamaha is going to claim for the fuel efficiency of the upcoming SX for kilometers per liter? I will be doing this in my speculative report.

Called Ross today and he's told me he stopped at a Yamaha dealer that is located on Pattaya Klang and Sukamvit where he was informed the new Yamaha Nouvo SX will be in around Tuesday. So between that and what Karlos has told us the Thailand launch date is right around the corner.

In the meantime I've been working like the devil to put something together on the Nouvo SX before it actually launches along with a bit of an analysis on the new fuel injected Fiore and TTX. I could really get a lot of egg on my face on this one. Will appreciate input from here, especially on horsepower and torque for the Fiore and TTX. http://www.thailandlooking.com/aprillooking12/nouvosx.html

Great write up and i too have seen power figures of 10.4hp, a little down on the 135 but not by much.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bikes are already being sold in random dealers across the country, hence why i saw some in the back of a pick up last week.

It's surprising how little ALL dealerships now about up and coming models, makes me think they are just in it for the money and have very little interest in their machines and customers. not even my friend's Yamaha Franchise knew any thing of this new SX.

I really want to test the new Nouvo, it's not going to be much faster than my Mio125GTX, in fact it might be a little slower..... But i would like to get a feel for the bike's overall handling and feel to see if selling the Mio will be worth while. So far i'm sold on the looks and some of it's features but the deal clincher will be all in the ride, i'll have a ride around my area and i'll visit my friend's Yamaha warehouse to see if there any surprises tomorrow :)

Great write up and i too have seen power figures of 10.4hp, a little down on the 135 but not by much.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bikes are already being sold in random dealers across the country, hence why i saw some in the back of a pick up last week.

It's surprising how little ALL dealerships now about up and coming models, makes me think they are just in it for the money and have very little interest in their machines and customers. not even my friend's Yamaha Franchise knew any thing of this new SX.

I really want to test the new Nouvo, it's not going to be much faster than my Mio125GTX, in fact it might be a little slower..... But i would like to get a feel for the bike's overall handling and feel to see if selling the Mio will be worth while. So far i'm sold on the looks and some of it's features but the deal clincher will be all in the ride, i'll have a ride around my area and i'll visit my friend's Yamaha warehouse to see if there any surprises tomorrow smile.png

I hate to compare these dealerships to a cocker spaniel but the curiosity of these people running them doesn't begin to compare to that of a cat or a dog. I am simply appalled at their complete ignorance and mental laziness. Man, do I miss that gal who used to manage the Naklua dealership. Anyway....my piece is pure speculation based on all the facts I could garner and my doing the best I could at trying to analyze whatever information I could get. Hopefully you and others here can do some really hard nosed comparisons based on testing the actual machines once they become available.

Good write up Jack. Maybe if your mate gets the SX, you can do a Yank Think Tank Nouvo Comparo with the previous models! After the SX is broken in of course.

Out of all the scooters available i think the SX is the one i'd go for. Anyone know the price?

Just went to my friends shop and they have all the colours and models ready for sale post-59428-0-25023500-1333949469_thumb.j

52,000B for the spoked wheel bike

56,000 for the mag version (SX Max)

I couldn't quite fit my XL Shoei helmet under the seat but after looking in the brochure i was given it looks like i was trying to put it in the wrong way, so maybe it will fit biggrin.png

The bike has really nice touches, little fins on the front panels, 16" alloys, kick stand safty cut off, fantastic looking gauges and the one thing i'd like to see in action is that projector headlight, but i would have to buy one to test that feature.

The one colour i didn't like was the black with the grey sparkle decals, on first glace it looked like the bike had been scuffed but on second glance it was the design of the star powder stickers..... hmmmmm

I really like the yellow and black model but it looks like Thailand won't be getting that one just yet, 2nd choice for me would be the red and black. I might wait until the yellow and black bike comes out, maybe my girlfriend won't notice that i traded the Mio125GTX (yellow and black) for the new SX in yellow and black.. biggrin.png

yellow and black wins my vote, come on Yamaha Thailand! Edited by karlos

Karlos,

What area are you in? The Yamaha shop next to the shopping mall here on Huay Kaew Road in Chiang Mai has the 2 models listed at 56K and 60K. I guess it might depend on what's included with the bike.

I'm in Ladkrabang, and my friend's shop is near Suvaranabhumi Market. The prices you have been quoted still have a difference of 4,000B. so i would assume that those prices inc the plates, tax, insurance and theft cover

Good write up Jack. Maybe if your mate gets the SX, you can do a Yank Think Tank Nouvo Comparo with the previous models! After the SX is broken in of course.

Out of all the scooters available i think the SX is the one i'd go for. Anyone know the price?

Thanks, taichiplanet, I really rushed to get that writeup done and even when I'm not rushed I will often make the most ridiculous errors,both mathematical and grammar, and I really should know know better. Looks like I got it finished just under the write though. I'm pretty sure my friend will wind up buying an SX, and considering the type of guy he is, I should be able to talk him into making the comparative test. In the meantime I hope others will be doing the same in here. My curiousity is really starting to get the better of me.

Just went to my friends shop and they have all the colours and models ready for sale post-59428-0-25023500-1333949469_thumb.j

52,000B for the spoked wheel bike

56,000 for the mag version (SX Max)

I couldn't quite fit my XL Shoei helmet under the seat but after looking in the brochure i was given it looks like i was trying to put it in the wrong way, so maybe it will fit biggrin.png

The bike has really nice touches, little fins on the front panels, 16" alloys, kick stand safty cut off, fantastic looking gauges and the one thing i'd like to see in action is that projector headlight, but i would have to buy one to test that feature.

The one colour i didn't like was the black with the grey sparkle decals, on first glace it looked like the bike had been scuffed but on second glance it was the design of the star powder stickers..... hmmmmm

I really like the yellow and black model but it looks like Thailand won't be getting that one just yet, 2nd choice for me would be the red and black. I might wait until the yellow and black bike comes out, maybe my girlfriend won't notice that i traded the Mio125GTX (yellow and black) for the new SX in yellow and black.. biggrin.png

yellow and black wins my vote, come on Yamaha Thailand!

Great info, Karlos. Like you, I really like the yellow and black although with my Elegance on just 10,000 kilometers in 3 years, I probably won't bite just quite yet. Do keep fillng us in on anything you can find out about the SX

Clearly, one advantage to the S is the information related to fuel use that is presented. Some autos do this to encourage drivers to use their vehicles in more efficient (slower, especially in acceleration) ways. Between diasi, liquid cooling, such information, and lower power delivery, this model may well deliver higher mileage yet than the Elegance.

I'm guessing, but probably the retreat to 125 was influenced by those nations that allow driving up to that size (and under 15hp) with a auto driver's license alone. Thailand is not the center of the universe for international corporations for some reason. Think what a much less expensive 150 would have meant here with regard to the new (hefty) PCX. Oh, well.

Meanwhile, if I were to wish to trade away from my Hayate Fi, I have a choice with regard to Yamahas: A second hand Elegance with low kilometers - really low, as evidenced by a dozen indicators - I can pay 33K or a little more. Or get a 125 S for 60K.

Edited by CMX

Everbody is only talking about the cc's.

What's about the size of the new Elegance? Smaller, bigger, equal than the old one?

I ask, because last week I could compare the old and new Mio at a Yamaha showroom.

And it seemed to me, that the new one is a little bit "shrunken" and looks more "girlie-like"

The TTX is just ugly, imho...bah.gif

Just returned from our CM dealer (in town), a big outfit with terrific service - a real positive that.

I was looking only at alloy wheels, because Yamaha provides tubeless tires with them, and I despise local inner tubes.

The new SX is offered at about 61K, all in. They also had a new 135 for sale at virtually the same price, except they'd subtract 2K for the 'older' model. Except for electrical features and liquid cooling, I could see no advantage to my Hayate; the 135 would have some relating to torque and the tires, but that model will depreciate, I'm guessing, rather more. I can get a fine second hand model for somewhere in the 30's.

There seems to be no way to go 'up' in the Yamaha line now. Honda, in addition to having a better re-sale value, offers both the new (bigger) Click i, at 52K (and it is fast) or the new CBR 150. However, it's 78-79, depending on the deal. Either would out power the new SX.

I like the new CBR 150. Liked the old one for that matter, but I like the new 250 CBR even more. That being said, even when I was somewhat considering buying the CBR 250 when I'd either trade in my Elegance or keep it, to be honest, in nearly all driving conditions that I routinely do (the key word being routinely) the Elegance is the superior machine. It has carrying capacity for groceries and other things. It is so easy to drive and so easy to manage in city traffic. Now, if I lived out in the country things would be different, but I don't and the bottom line is for city driving in this neck of the woods the Elegance is about ideal. So is the Click, Mio, etc..etc, at first glance. But looking at one of the older Mios in the supermarket parking lot I thought.."Man, that thing sure has flimsy tires". As for the new Honda Click, it might be relatively fast. I don't know. But to my notion there is a correct way of building things and the cheap way out and having that single shock to one side is a cost cutting measure pure and simple. And I don't know about the new Clicks but the one I once rented at AO Nang Beach in Krabi did not inspire me at all with its road manners. I rented an Air Blade the next day and loved it. It was by far the better bike. So if I lived in the country my choice would be a CBR 250. But where city driving conditions predominate, in my opinion the best two bikes out there bar none are the PCX 150 and the Nouvo whether it's the Elegance or the new SX. It's just a matter of personal preference as to what suits one the best but those two are the class acts of the lot.

what I don't understand, why do people prefer bikes, like Nouvo, Airblade, Wave, Hayate with their closed "footplate" over the much more viable bikes with their "open footplate" (not sure about the correct term in english), like the "old" (2011-2012) Mio, Click, et.pp.?

I can't be simply the fact, that they have two shocks.

And they are NOT noticeably larger.

Recently, I saw a Farang, trying to balance a bag full of beer bottles between his legs on his Elegance.

Ended with broken bottles on the road, at the next small pothole...what a wastewai.gif

The best bike for me, would be a combination of a Yamaha Fiore with her great underseat storage, the big open footplate, but the size of a Airblade/Nuovo...

Clever idea, to put the fuel tank into the front fairing! Look at the pictures.

Meanwhile, I ride my Mio 125, with some engine mods, and a 100/90 Tyre on the rear wheel.

PS: I couldn't realize a "real" difference in engine power between a "stock" 2011 Mio and an Elegance...

post-15975-0-87682600-1334061262_thumb.j

post-15975-0-61556100-1334061265_thumb.j

post-15975-0-83336000-1334061322_thumb.j

what I don't understand, why do people prefer bikes, like Nouvo, Airblade, Wave, Hayate with their closed "footplate" over the much more viable bikes with their "open footplate" (not sure about the correct term in english), like the "old" (2011-2012) Mio, Click, et.pp.?

Recently, I saw a Farang, trying to balance a bag full of beer bottles between his legs on his Elegance.

Ended with broken bottles on the road, at the next small pothole...what a wastewai.gif

The best bike for me, would be a combination of a Yamaha Fiore with her great underseat storage, the big open footplate, but the size of a Airblade/Nuovo...

Meanwhile, I ride my Mio 125, with some engine mods, and a 100/90 Tyre on the rear wheel.

PS: I couldn't realize a "real" difference in engine power between a "stock" 2011 Mio and an Elegance...

What engine mods have you done? I might be tempted to keep my Mio125GTX and spend a few thou on the engine :)

I saw a HP figure for the Mio 125 as 10.6HP, while the Elegance is around 11HP. The Elegance has 0.6Nm extra torque, while the Mio125 is about 7kgs lighter. So not much difference, which is probably why they feel as no 'real' difference in power.

Both are classed as underbone chassis but maybe (hopefully someone with more tech knowledge will agree or refute) due to the structure of the Elegance frame, it is more rigid and therefore gives better handling and a better ride.

post-70604-0-91233500-1334063730_thumb.j

I saw a HP figure for the Mio 125 as 10.6HP, while the Elegance is around 11HP. The Elegance has 0.6Nm extra torque, while the Mio125 is about 7kgs lighter. So not much difference, which is probably why they feel as no 'real' difference in power.

Both are classed as underbone chassis but maybe (hopefully someone with more tech knowledge will agree or refute) due to the structure of the Elegance frame, it is more rigid and therefore gives better handling and a better ride.

post-70604-0-91233500-1334063730_thumb.j

the elegance is longer and has bigger wheels

this alone helps with better ride and stability

a mio or a click or scoopy just dont feel so strong

What engine mods have you done? I might be tempted to keep my Mio125GTX and spend a few thou on the engine

Not too much: a so called "crank pin" (see picture), which gives the engine a little bit more stroke, a matching (shorter) conrod, a "racing" camshaft, rejetted carburettor, and a completely modified variator/pulley(?).

Parts were bought from "Hispeed piston" and "Panom racing" in Bangkok.

Work was done by myself, so I can't recommend a reliable workshop

EDIT:

the elegance is longer and has bigger wheels

this alone helps with better ride and stability

a mio or a click or scoopy just dont feel so strong

And, how many cm ist the Elegance wheel base longer, compared to the 125cc Mio? Two or three?

Bigger wheels...pfft.. skinny 16" tires, mostly on spoked rims.

The PCX has 14" wheels and nobody complains about it!

Better ride and stability....at mostly max speeds ~ 50-70 KM/h?

Did you ever rode a newer (2011) Mio?

I don't talk about Clicks/Finos...

post-15975-0-57395000-1334065882_thumb.j

Edited by vel_tins

But looking at one of the older Mios in the supermarket parking lot I thought.."Man, that thing sure has flimsy tires".

hmm..well, but how may Bahts does it really cost, to upgrade the tires?

Mio 125 with PCX size tyre.

img_0070fqynw.jpg

Edited by vel_tins

What engine mods have you done? I might be tempted to keep my Mio125GTX and spend a few thou on the engine

Not too much: a so called "crank pin" (see picture), which gives the engine a little bit more stroke, a matching (shorter) conrod, a "racing" camshaft, rejetted carburettor, and a completely modified variator/pulley(?).

Parts were bought from "Hispeed piston" and "Panom racing" in Bangkok.

Work was done by myself, so I can't recommend a reliable workshop

Not a worry about recommending a mechanic or workshop, i'm more than competent enough myself to do the work :)

I'm interested to hear you feelings for the bike after such modifications. I'm not too bothered about top speed for a Mio125, mine currently hits 112kmh with a long enough straight and hits 100kmh with little effort.

I would assume that your bike is nudging 120 if the rev limiter isn't an issue? And that your bike has a fair bit more mid range punch now

I never checked the bike on a dyno, but "subjective", the low/mid range power/torque has increased by 50%.

The acceleration with two people, is better than a stock Mio 125 with one person..

I also never tried the max. speed (not interesting for me). I always stopped accelerating when the speedometer reached ~130.

Because of the modified variator and the much larger tires (100/90 on rear wheel), I never ran into the rev limiter.

Most mentions above about the Click-i 125 are incorrect because they do not report on the new model. It does have the flat floor, but the new body is larger (storage holds a helmet, bottom down - and it's bigger than the Fino/Fiore/etc.). The engine is Honda's 125 eSP, their latest effort at efficient energy. Also features the combi-brake, but its alloys to not come with tubeless tires, unlike the PCX or recent Yamaha Elegance or Sx. One site claims 13.8 hp for the new Click-i (which I cannot find confirmed anywhere else). In any case, Honda's calling it the Clicki 125 Racing. Hmm.

It too is a Honda, however, and it's becoming more and more clear to me that Hondas here in the north hold their prices best.

In sum, the new Click is a different animal and 16,000 cheaper than the PCX, about 10K less than the Sx. As it is light (113) and also has eSP (enhanced Smart Power,5,5,5), it will rival others for fuel efficiency. Doesn't look as good as it is, however.

Edited by CMX