Danger To Ourselves In Thailand.....

theblether

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you can do that, turn away from any injustice you encounter, but the number "ONE" way to stay out of trouble is "LEAVE THE DRINK ALONE", too many people drink themselves into a drunken stupor, and end up either a fatality or an accessory to a crime. Need I explain more, you figure it out.wai.gifdrunk.gif

Edited by PingManDan
  • Like 1

yes agree we are a danger to ourselves

i think the best advice i can give is drink sensibly,drunkeness leads to an endless amount of problems.

just recently i went on a 2 day drinking binge,normally i just drink leo but this time for some strange reason i went on the whiskey and cokes,totally over did it.I ended up on day 2 falling asleep on the street,luckily the only thing that happened to me was i had embarresed myself and woke up with 39 mosquito bites.But i were lucky,i guess i was in the right place at the right time.

The second biggest danger for me is the roads but this is one of the things that is beyond our control,you can be the best driver or motorcyclist in Thailand but that isnt going to stop you being killed.

I were driving along in traffic the other day,nice and steady when a thai guy on a motorbike with his buddy on the back coming towards me decides to do wheelie at speed,he lost control and just missed the car by a couple of inches.

If it were possible and i could afford it i would buy a tank or some other armoured vehicle or even better a helicopter.

drink sensibly!

drive sensibly!

and never mix the two!

When visiting Thailand remember this is not the same as the country you came from, this country has the rule of law the same as any other, many people come here either thinking or believing they can do whatever they want without consequences, I saw this a lot when I was in the navy and I see it a lot with the tourists that come here. Poeple have had sex on the train (in the bunk above my head), tourists have swapped info on where to get the best drugs (on the same train), I have seen falangs stumbling down the road in a drunken stupor yelling abuse at everyone they come across. People who come here assuming there is no rule of law and have a devil may care attitude not only endanger themselves, they also give all falangs a bad name. The law here may be more flexible than most other places, and fines may be payable on the spot, but people can only push their arm so far into the dogs mouth before it bites.

Like you said just a lot of people here that think they are free of the barriers of their home country and start to drink and drive. IMHO those people are the biggest idiots of all because they should know better.

I think the biggest problem is alcohol, and boredom. Guys figure that they are king because of the little money they have goes a longer way here and think they can do it all. Add in the attention of some girls of the night and those same average Joe's in their home country think they are some bad ass with no limits.

When visiting Thailand remember this is not the same as the country you came from, this country has the rule of law the same as any other, many people come here either thinking or believing they can do whatever they want without consequences, I saw this a lot when I was in the navy and I see it a lot with the tourists that come here. Poeple have had sex on the train (in the bunk above my head), tourists have swapped info on where to get the best drugs (on the same train), I have seen falangs stumbling down the road in a drunken stupor yelling abuse at everyone they come across. People who come here assuming there is no rule of law and have a devil may care attitude not only endanger themselves, they also give all falangs a bad name. The law here may be more flexible than most other places, and fines may be payable on the spot, but people can only push their arm so far into the dogs mouth before it bites.

Sorry about the top bunk thing, I didn't realize there was a rule against it.

I'll get the bottom bunk next time.

• Like 1

Sorry about the top bunk thing, I didn't realize there was a rule against it.

I'll get the bottom bunk next time.

Ok, thanks

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Does common sense enter into this anywhere?

Would you do this in your own country?

Did you understand right/wrong before you came here?

Really...drunken stupors, dine and dash on the bar bill, fighting, thinking you can "get away with it", doing drugs...etc

What planet are you on??

• Like 1

The key to living at peace in Thailand, is to not get involved.

My advice is: don’t become land and real estate speculators, purchase your homes, land and businesses strictly according to Thai law, don’t open a bar, don’t create or open any business where you are in direct competition with Thais, avoid long term relations with females from the underclass’s of Thai society, adapt to Thai society and Thai ways, in a dispute try to give the Thai the benefit of the doubt or at least a good compromise, don’t lose your temper, be polite and above all, don’t do drugs (use or deal) stay legal and within Thai law at all times, do not expect a yes Massa response from a Thai and don’t expect services and attitudes to equate those of the West.

Stick to these golden rules for foreigners living in Thailand, be safe, enjoy and live your lives in peace here.

Oh, ok then.

• Like 1

The worst problems I have had have been with Westerners here!

Edit - the locals rip me off every now and again obviously, but I never gave them enough to make it a problem. Westerners though are a different story...

Edited by F1fanatic

Does common sense enter into this anywhere?

Would you do this in your own country?

Did you understand right/wrong before you came here?

Really...drunken stupors, dine and dash on the bar bill, fighting, thinking you can "get away with it", doing drugs...etc

What planet are you on??

What Mario said - as long as you behave like you did at home, unless you're some brainless thug from Birmingham/Leeds etc..., you'll be fine.

Don't kow-tow to the locals and don't try to boss them around.

Yes, many of their ways are wrong, stupid, illogical, repetitive, infantile etc... but yes - it is their country. Imagine a Thai coming to your home and constantly belittling and criticising everything you do.

So it boils down to alcohol and attitude.

The drink driving is ludicrious but the one that astounds me is people fixing for a fight.

Who in their right mind goes fixing for a fight in a country where Muay Thai is the national sport......and where the bottom line is there is no bottom line.

Fight one thai and u need to fight every thai in the vicinity, and they will stop at nothing to beat u.

If the police then become involved your going to take a different kind of beating.

I think my advice would be don't under any circumstances fight in Thailand.

Bring your brain with you.

Do some basic research into Thailand and Thai customs.

Leave your bad attitude behind.

Chill out, relax. Life is way to short :)

Regards drinking.....

Drink is not the problem, it is the person. Why does everyone blame it on the drink??

I have had a skinful of drink many times in many places in the world and I have not caused any fights or trouble.

I see people drink and cause problems but I also see many who go out for 4 or 5 hours drinking and stay happy.

• Like 2

I've seen white foreigners calling other white foreigners 'farang'

You can't lose the plot much more than that IMHO!

which reminds me of the joke

Tonto and the Lone Ranger are surrounded by Indians with no hope of escape.

The Lone Ranger turns to Tonto and says, "Looks like we're for it Tonto"

Tonto turns to the Lone Ranger and replies, "Who you calling 'WE' white man"

Bring your brain with you.

Do some basic research into Thailand and Thai customs.

Leave your bad attitude behind.

Chill out, relax. Life is way to short :)

Regards drinking.....

Drink is not the problem, it is the person. Why does everyone blame it on the drink??

I have had a skinful of drink many times in many places in the world and I have not caused any fights or trouble.

I see people drink and cause problems but I also see many who go out for 4 or 5 hours drinking and stay happy.

That is where the attitude comes in. I live in a seriously rough and tumble part of Glasgow, Bridgeton. The Scots on tv know that the rules of combat in Bridgeton just like many other parts of Glasgow are brutal.

When I fly in to Thailand the last thing I want to see or hear is fighting talk. I recognize also that the rules of combat in Thailand are equally brutal.

These tin pot gangsters and ex-sas that infest a lot of tourist areas just don't have a clue what they are messing with.

These days I gravitate towards Thai economy restaurants and bars. There are many outstanding places out there where your not going to get your ears melted by some malcontent gangster wannabe.

• Like 1

licklips.gif This might be a little off topic...but my "hero" is an American guy who I once worked with in Saudi. I made the mistake of telling him to stay at this nice quiet little guesthouse with good food in Bangkok where I often stayed.

He left for two weeks in Thailand...and 4 days later he was back in Saudi.

He managed to get:

1. The clap.

2. Thrown off Soi Cowboy (this was many years ago) and banned permanently from ALL the bars on Soi Cowboy.

3. Robbed of his money.

4. Arrested by the Thai police (he took a swing at one of them I heard).

5. And deported from Thailand. (Spent 24 hours in the immigration lock up too).

Frankly, I don't know how he managed it all in that short time.

I think he deserved the large red A award for that (The red A stands for A--hole).

licklips.gif

• Like 1

What's all this fighting talk.

Have we let the 17 year olds back out on TV?

Drink less coffee, get more sleep and try to get a bit of exercise now and again - it will help with your anxieties.

Your normally very sharp guesthouse, so try reading what is being said.

The posts are critical of people who are full of fighting talk.

So go get your reading glasses on and concentrate.

The elephant in the room which hasn't been mentioned is the lack of understanding of how relationships are treated in the our own specific cultures and in Thailand.

As for "one bit of advice you would give to anyone coming here in regards to keeping out of danger" ... two fairly simple rules which makes my visits to Thailand memorable (for all the right reasons) and enjoyable are ...

1/ Never stand between a Thai and money

2/ Never stand between a Thai and food ... in that order.

As for the rest ... fairly easily negotiated

As for ALL the OP's points ... agree with them all.

• Like 2