Thailand May Introduce Joint Public Transport Tickets In 2015

Lite Beer

Thailand may introduce joint public transport tickets in 2015

BANGKOK, 19 February 2012 (NNT) - Travelers and commuters in Thailand may be able to use only one ticket to ride all public transports by 2015, as the Transport Ministry is working on the details of such a project now.

Mrs. Soythip Traisuthi, Director -General of the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning, said that the Transport Ministry is now working on the details of a loan needed for the implementation of the joint public transport ticket project.

Once all details are concluded, the Transport Ministry will pass them to the Finance Ministry to review and approve the use of the loan from the Asian Development Bank later. It is estimated that as much as US$23 million or around THB690 million will be needed for this project.

In addition, the newly-set up joint ticket management committee, chaired by the Ministry's Acting Permanent Secretary Silpachai Jarukasemratana, is now working on a consulting company to the project, which should be concluded within 3 months and help achieve more progress in the joint public transport ticket policy.

If all goes as planned, Mrs. Soythip believes that, by 2015, travelers and commuters in Thailand will be able to buy only one ticket to conveniently ride Bangkok's MRT and BTS trains, BRT buses, BMTA buses, the Airport Link, the State Railway of Thailand's high-speed trains and the Department of Highways' motorway routes as well as the Chao Phraya Express Boat service.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-02-19 footer_n.gif

The State Railway of Thailand has "high-speed trains", wonder when they plan to start operating them, on the yet-to-be-built high-speed lines ? wink.png

This proposal appears very Bangkok-centric, could it not be extended to cover the long-distance bus-network, and hence the rest of Thailand too ? cool.png

yes-that could be, but the assumed savings fot those lines are minimal and far higher as the extra cost due to this system. About (as the response seem from people unable to think beyond their USA-enclosed views) like using that SFO card for the Greyhound to Reno. These chipcardsystems are mainly aimed at high density large scale local commuterstreams-about anywhere in Asia by now. In essence it is nothing else as yet another form of money-like a fonecard replacing the fumble for coins etc that reigns now.

And there will be big protests as then around 10.000 ticketsellers would loose their jobs in BKK alone. But then many buslines are running far less as they should due to lack of those very same people riding and staffing buses.

Like NYC <3 Just what I've been waiting for, even more convenient if they can offer a monthly unlimited pass...

I am pretty sure they do now (at least on the MRT). So, I'd imagine they will have it in the future too but the price may not be worth it.

Yet more proof that PM Thaksin's claim that he would not extend the skytrain across the river because his priority was to integrate ticketing for which he first needed to takeover the BTS was just another of his brazen lies aimed at duping his own supporters i.e. People that don't supprt him don't believe him anyway.

It is estimated that as much as US$23 million or around THB690 million will be needed for this project.

It's going to take just a little more than that. By 2015 it will have cost US$2.3 billion to implement a system wide ticketing project.

Just the BTS and the MRT have been talking about coming up with a joint tickets and/or joint passes system for years... Still nothing's come of it as yet....leaving aside all the other agencies and players mentioned in the OP.

Last time I asked, MRT said later this year... I'm beginning to think it will be when pigs fly...

Switzerland has integrated Bus/Tram/Train/Ship/funicular and mountain cable rail ticketing for 20 years already, great success, the only way to go.

The one big problem preventing this from being implemented in Thailand is the need to agree on how to share the huge ticket sales amongst the different providers. I envision an epic battle for the through.

Sound's 2 ambitious, and will probably be difficult and very expensive to implement, and ultimately that cost will be passed onto the service user, and lets not forget, there are an awful lot of people in this country that currently find public transport expensive. Perhaps there are alternatives/compromises for example

London has a zonal system where you can buy daily /weekly multi service and multiple zonal passes. it works reasonably well, with a few tweaks imo, would work for well for Bangkok.

Edited by rijit

It is estimated that as much as US$23 million or around THB690 million will be needed for this project.

It's going to take just a little more than that. By 2015 it will have cost US$2.3 billion to implement a system wide ticketing project.

???? ... Have no idea the figures you quote ... references?

Must admit ... curious just how they will achieve this because the BTS is a publicly listed company as is the MRT on the SET.

Maybe the government hold the controlling stake in both of them?

http://www.set.or.th...e=en&country=US

http://www.set.or.th...e=en&country=US

Heck ... I own BTS shares! Great idea though ... a fully integrated public transport system.

The obvious opportunity was with the Airport link.

Nah ... will never happen ... TiTs

David48 cowboy.gif

Something tells me that this could get really ugly. There are sooooo many ways for different parties to lose face (MRT and BTS charge different rates, for instance, and both are separately owned and managed). When face gets lost, one of two things will happen: 1) any progress on the matter will freeze over like Antarctica and stay in limbo for a near eternity, or 2) it gets extremely violent. Both options are pretty bad, and sometimes it's a combination of both.

???? ... Have no idea the figures you quote ... references?

<snip>

David48 cowboy.gif

The "Myki" system in Melbourne cost about $1 billion for a city of 5 million people. For the population of Bangkok and with inflation, it will have cost at least twice that.

Mrs. Soythip Traisuthi, Director -General of the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning, said that the Transport Ministry is now working on the details of a loan needed for the implementation of the joint public transport ticket project.

Probably something lost in translation again, but wouldn't a few details on system envisioned be needed before you can detail a budget which may be needed to buy, program, implement?

The idea is good, but practical aspects make it difficult. For now I'll keep on carrying my BTS SKY SmartPass and MRT Adult pass. At least I can use the BTS pass on the BRT smile.png

Sound's 2 ambitious, and will probably be difficult and very expensive to implement, and ultimately that cost will be passed onto the service user, and lets not forget, there are an awful lot of people in this country that currently find public transport expensive. Perhaps there are alternatives/compromises for example

London has a zonal system where you can buy daily /weekly multi service and multiple zonal passes. it works reasonably well, with a few tweaks imo, would work for well for Bangkok.

Really.

Maybe the Thai Government should construct the new "future Bangkok" first. Once the floods are under control then decide about the worthiness of having joint public transport tickets. For all the world knows, there may only be one mode of public transportation in the future Bangkok. Public transportation may even be free to all Thai citizens. In that case tickets wouldn’t be needed, and there would be a costs savings on printing or manufacturing tickets. I think I 'll stop now. saai.gifsleepy.gifthumbsup.gif

Thailand will never have a high speed train anywhere in the country by 2015. The entire railway network is a dangerous, antiquated shambles that needs complete overhaul to the tune of billions.

Additionally, 80% of the buses in Bangkok require to be replaced as they are also antiquated and dangerous, so logically they would only be implementing it on the newer air-con buses and the BRT.

Cannot see it happening. We may get a joint BTS/MRT/BRT ticketing scheme with the failed Airport Link thrown in for good measure, but anything else is pure fantasist.

This involves setting up a common clearing house to service all separate entitities that are providing the transport services.

Looking at the way the 3G-CAT-TRUE-DTAC-AIS-NBTC circus is going, most likely this is not going to happen by 2015.

rolleyes.gif

Considering Thailand, the key word in the OP headline most likely is MAY....

As in, pigs may fly, the sun may not rise tomorrow, and a Thai ladyboy may be the next Miss Universe pageant winner.

The last one is 100% more likely than the others.