San Patong - Any Ex-Pats Living There?

Gladiator

The topic title and description really says it all.

It looks like we may be on the move once again and we are going to see a land and house there. I have passed through the town many times and my wife has often used the Saturday market. However, I would be interested in any comments from Ex-Pats who may reside there.

Many thanks.

Gladiator

It's a big district, with many distinct areas. The Canal Road will become a full separate lane road soon, so that will benefit the Sanpatong area; a concern living there would be that you're often passing through Hang Dong town, which is a bit of a bottle neck.

Thanks for that. Also for the remark about the Hang Dong town junction, which as I, currently live at Nam Phrae, close to Hang Dong, I have to face from time to time. Depending on the time of day and my destination, I sometimes make a 'loop' onto the Canal Road and join the 108 further down.

It's a big district, with many distinct areas. The Canal Road will become a full separate lane road soon, so that will benefit the Sanpatong area; a concern living there would be that you're often passing through Hang Dong town, which is a bit of a bottle neck.

Thanks for that. Also for the remark about the Hang Dong town junction, which as I, currently live at Nam Phrae, close to Hang Dong, I have to face from time to time. Depending on the time of day and my destination, I sometimes make a 'loop' onto the Canal Road and join the 108 further down.

Nam Phrae is a nice area; why move? Sanpatong district starts not too far South from there. Quite scenic too when you stay close to the hills.

We live about 15 mins away from the town, but it is our main shopping centre. Fantastic fresh food market, a gem of a supermarket run by the SanPatong Agricultural Co-op ( with a juicy 3% divi on purchases!), some reasonable restaurants, etc. Not a bad choice of a place to live, and from the amount of new building going on, it can only get better.

So you live in Nam Prae? You build your own or rent I discovered the area recently and it is nice with a few mins to town.

We live about 15 mins away from the town, but it is our main shopping centre. Fantastic fresh food market, a gem of a supermarket run by the SanPatong Agricultural Co-op ( with a juicy 3% divi on purchases!), some reasonable restaurants, etc. Not a bad choice of a place to live, and from the amount of new building going on, it can only get better.

Catmac

Many thanks for the information. Just what I need to know

Many thanks to everyone for your replies.

The Family Business and complex, where I currently live - a Resort is up for sale. The entire complexe extends around a 300 metre fish lake filled Giant Mekong Cafish and some other fish which were raised in my nephew's aquarium. If you think that you might be interested PM me and I willl give you the details and contact.

I agree that Nam Phrae is a lovely area but currently my funds and budget are concentrating on a another Family business.

Cheers

Gladiator

The Canal Road will become a full separate lane road soon, so that will benefit the Sanpatong area;

What does this mean on both accounts?

The canal road south of Samoeng intersection will have 2 more lanes on the other side. So presumably one side for going south and the other side of the canal for going north the same as it is already on the stretch going into town.

The Canal Road extension will meet up with 108 way south of San Patong almost to Doi Lo. It will cross over 108 and pass through Pa Sang and will eventually meet up with Hwy 11. Traffic lights and a new intersection at 108 are in place and construction is well underway at that end. This new bypass will ease traffic through San Pathong and Hang Dong.

The Canal Road extension will meet up with 108 way south of San Patong almost to Doi Lo. It will cross over 108 and pass through Pa Sang and will eventually meet up with Hwy 11. Traffic lights and a new intersection at 108 are in place and construction is well underway at that end. This new bypass will ease traffic through San Pathong and Hang Dong.

Excellent!

Isn't that the 106 extension? The "new" bridge has been closed for months-in fact never opened?

Excellent!

Yes, just down the road from us.Can't wait to do the journey to CM without crawling through Hang Dong!

So you live in Nam Prae? You build your own or rent I discovered the area recently and it is nice with a few mins to town.

No, sorry I wasn't more precise. We are about 15 mins going South on route 108, just after Sam Lang.