Wi-Fi "Aerials"

pete66

Looking for a local supplier of wi-fi aerials / extenders ..... not sure exactly what you call them, but stuff like they sell at wificool.com

Basically I live in apartment building and signal doesn't reach wi-fi router from my MacBook Pro. So I want some "aerial" to plug into USB port to boost signal signficantly. But something with Mac drivers, so many solutions appear to be Windows only ...

Also, I'm on 6th floor and have great view of CM, so happy to have one big aerial stuck outside my window, and get choice of loads of wi-fi services, not just apartment one, because to be honest, its not that fast or reliable.

Anyway, tried a few places locally but no luck. But I know they must exist ...... just whether they exist in CM or not ...

Any ideas please for USB MacBook wi-fi "booster"?

thanks in advance,

They don't exist - at least what you're looking for don't.

Of course WiFi antennae exist, but your Macbook does not have an antenna socket (unless you fancy opening it up and modding it).

Your only option would be to buy a wifi router and configure it as a repeater, repeating whatever hotspot you want to lock onto. A repeater on the windowsill even with a standard 2dBi antennae will likely pick up more hotspots than your Macbook will inside the house, and your Macbook could pick up the "repeated" signal.

Outwith that "off the shelf" solution, you'd need a much more sophisticated setup.

I've seen some usb based wi-fi(b,g,n) adapters with antennae at Icon. I guess I just assumed they would work on any system. They have a usb wire to give you some ability to to get the best position and a removable/replaceable antennae. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but if you are they were between 350B-450B. In the back right corner, but on the inside of the hallway/walkway.

They don't exist - at least what you're looking for don't. ...

Your only option would be to buy a wifi router and configure it as a repeater, ... you'd need a much more sophisticated setup.

Totally, completely, and utterly wrong information from "bobl".

Not just wrong in fact, but wrong in "tone".

Always fascinating to see a post trying to sound like an expert, but totally wrong about what they post.

I have exactly what the OP is asking for, plugged into my MacBook Pro.

In an apartment, to increase the signal strength: same situation as the OP.

Using it at this very moment, right here in Chiang Mai. cowboy.gif

In helpful post above, CMSteve already advised where to buy.

Edited by Oneman

Your only option would be to buy a wifi router and configure it as a repeater, ... you'd need a much more sophisticated setup.

Always fascinating to see a post trying to sound like an expert, but totally wrong about what they post.

I'm not an expert.

I use a hi-gain antenna with usb. It says 150mbps and TL-WN722N. Brand is TP-LINK. Got it in BKK and lots of places seemed to sell them.

It does make a difference but not huge. Lead is about a meter long. Can you get usb extensions?

Edited by andrew55

Yes, you could disable the Macbook's internal wifi adapter and use an external one on USB - most will work on a Mac (it should tell you on the box what OS's it supports).

In all likelihood, you won't be much better off with the device by itself you're simply replacing one wifi adapter with another, and getting slightly more options as to where to place it for the best signal (the USB cable is usually about 1m max). In other words you'd achieve the same result by moving the laptop a meter to the left or right.

If it has a removeable/replaceable antenna it gets a little more interesting, because you could connect a bigger antenna hanging out the window - but you'd need to buy the device AND an antenna&cable.

If you want to maintain "portability" and not have your laptop tethered by wires, a repeater is still the best option.

Yes, you could disable the Macbook's internal wifi adapter and use an external one on USB - most will work on a Mac (it should tell you on the box what OS's it supports).

In all likelihood, you won't be much better off with the device by itself you're simply replacing one wifi adapter with another, and getting slightly more options as to where to place it for the best signal (the USB cable is usually about 1m max). In other words you'd achieve the same result by moving the laptop a meter to the left or right.

If it has a removeable/replaceable antenna it gets a little more interesting, because you could connect a bigger antenna hanging out the window - but you'd need to buy the device AND an antenna&cable.

If you want to maintain "portability" and not have your laptop tethered by wires, a repeater is still the best option.

Are you sure the OP is enquiring about a wifi adaptor? I think he's only after an improved antenna. Mine was maybe 500 baht and simply plugs in to usb port. Adds a notch to signal strength. Wish I knew how to post a pic of it but alas...

Are you sure the OP is enquiring about a wifi adaptor? I think he's only after an improved antenna. Mine was maybe 500 baht and simply plugs in to usb port. Adds a notch to signal strength. Wish I knew how to post a pic of it but alas...

No, I am not sure the OP is asking about a wifi adapter. In fact I'm sure he isn't. He is asking about an antenna. The Macbook Pro does NOT HAVE an antenna connector on it's USB port. Period.

Your TL-WN722N "antenna" is, in fact, a wifi adapter. Yes you can get a USB extender for it. They're typically only around 1 - 1.5m though. Any of the computer accessory shops should have one, it's just a cable with a male USB one end and a female the other. Going more than a few meters on USB is tricky.

Not just wrong in fact, but wrong in "tone".

CMSteve has advised where to buy a USB wifi adapter, which is more than likely what you're also using.

It will work, no doubt. But it's not what the OP asked for.

It is NOT a "USB antenna" (sorry, aerial).

No, I am not sure the OP is asking about a wifi adapter. In fact I'm sure he isn't. He is asking about an antenna. The Macbook Pro does NOT HAVE an antenna connector on it's USB port. Period.

Your TL-WN722N "antenna" is, in fact, a wifi adapter. Yes you can get a USB extender for it. They're typically only around 1 - 1.5m though. Any of the computer accessory shops should have one, it's just a cable with a male USB one end and a female the other. Going more than a few meters on USB is tricky.

Thanks for that bobl. I don't know much.

Reason I asked about extension is because if I hold the little antenna thingy near my front door reception is better than anywhere I can have my desk.

Why is more than a few meters on usb tricky? Is there a loss according to the length?

Yes, about 5 meters would be a good rule of thumb although I wouldn't like to trust an external hard drive on a 5m cable. Printer and wifi adapter maybe. More than 5m needs a very good cable and/or booster. The problem with the 1-1.5m extensions is they're cheap and nasty so daisy-chaining a few together might give unpredictable results.

If you use a 5 meter USB extension then I highly recommended going to a quality shielded version like below. The quality requirement of the cable depends a lot on the device. Some devices I find will not work reliably but others will on the same cable (standard non-shielded). The shield (braid) around the outside of the central cable gives a better impedance match and noise immunity. The longer the cable, the higher the load due to impedance and greater the susceptibility to noise. The cost difference is not that great.

post-566-0-17431600-1329720102_thumb.jpg