Tips When Booking With Air Asia

UbonOz

When making an online booking with Air Asia there are a couple of things worth remembering.

Firstly, if you are not travelling for quite a long time only book and pay the air fare and taxes. If for any reason you need to cancel the fare is non-refundable, you only lose the air fare. The taxes can be refunded but watch out for their charges on a tax refund, they may be greater than the tax refund. Their website has all their fees listed.

If you really want insurance for unforeseen circumstances covered by the policy, pay with the original booking, it will be non-refundable if you cancel. Obviously, if you cancel for reasons covered by the insurance it is worth the cost. Don't do insurance if it costs more than the fare. Some sale fares are less than the insurance.

The add-ons, if required, can be added in 'Manage My Booking'', ie. seats/meals/comfort pack etc can be booked anytime up to four hours before travel. I am not suggesting you leave it till four hours before departure, just add at a convenient time when you know you will definitely be travelling.

One other thing, when you check-in online you will not be charged for seats if you accept their assignment, you will be charged if you change the seat assigned.

I was caught this way once before, did not have insurance, had to cancel, only received a tax refund. I should have paid insurance, I could have claimed. You cannot claim the tax refund until after the day of departure on a one way or the forward journey if it is a return booking.

I managed to get UBP/BKK/UBP, BKK/KUL/BKK and KUL/SYD/KUL in the recent sale for two people for THB22,000 (Approximately AU$740.00) including the insurance for the two of us travelling in October. I only paid air fare, taxes and insurance at this time.

I hope this little bit of information can help somebody not pay more than is necessary.

Happy Travelling.

Wherever you are booking from, try to change your 'location' to Asia. Fare differences may be substantially different in, say, $AUD v ThB or RM, much more eventually in your favour despite the rip-off 'conversion fee' charged by the rip-off Australian banks.

Airasia has now made 'sporting goods 20kg' baggage charges almost universal. In 2004, no such charges existed. A friend recently bought 30kg luggage allowance, dismantled an entire bicycle, stuffed it into big (75 x 35 x 30cm) suitcase, packed with other stuff. Saved heaps on the charge for 20kg + 10 kg excess. AA

• 2 weeks later...
Firstly, if you are not travelling for quite a long time only book and pay the Air fare and taxes. If for any reason you need to cancel the fare is non-refundable, you only lose the Air fare. The taxes can be refunded but watch out for their charges on a tax refund, they may be greater than the tax refund. Their website has all their fees listed.

Perhaps you can help me understand the fee schedule regarding cancelling a flight. I am scheduled to leave in a couple of days to Sri Lanka but I may need to cancel my flight. I went to Air Asia's fee schedule and I saw a section labelled "Handling Fee" which includes "Refund (per guest per sector)" and also "Flight Change / Cancellation (per sector)". Which of these fees are they charging me? Since I have round trip tickets, can I assume I am paying cancellation fees for each way?

Firstly, if you are not travelling for quite a long time only book and pay the Air fare and taxes. If for any reason you need to cancel the fare is non-refundable, you only lose the Air fare. The taxes can be refunded but watch out for their charges on a tax refund, they may be greater than the tax refund. Their website has all their fees listed.

Perhaps you can help me understand the fee schedule regarding cancelling a flight. I am scheduled to leave in a couple of days to Sri Lanka but I may need to cancel my flight. I went to Air Asia's fee schedule and I saw a section labelled "Handling Fee" which includes "Refund (per guest per sector)" and also "Flight Change / Cancellation (per sector)". Which of these fees are they charging me? Since I have round trip tickets, can I assume I am paying cancellation fees for each way?

Once your booking is confirmed, it cannot be cancelled and the payment you made is not refundable.

However, you can get a refund on airport taxes.

If you go to Air Asia's website you will see "Ask Air Asia'' all details are there. You need to enter your travel details to see the fees.

Once your booking is confirmed, it cannot be cancelled and the payment you made is not refundable.

However, you can get a refund on airport taxes.

If you go to Air Asia's website you will see "Ask Air Asia'' all details are there. You need to enter your travel details to see the fees.

I read what you wrote that they have charges on tax refund so I was hoping since you already went through the cancel process that you might help clarify which of the fees I highlighted above would be charged by AA. I am not asking for the specific amount which I realize would vary by location but which of the fees they would charge. Also even though I bought a round trip ticket, do they charge separate fees for the destination and return.

I appreciate any information you can share.

Edited by vagabond48

It says on their site a processing fee will be charged for a tax refund but you have to enter the origin/destination to find out the fee. I don't know your itinerary so I don't want to mislead you.

You cannot claim the refund until day of departure from origon.

I am a little confused about cancelling a booking. Why would you cancel if there is no refund.

Check their site and you should get the answer.

I should have mentioned that you can change your booking to another time if you have not already done the online check-in. If you have checked in the booking is confirmed and no changes are allowed.

All part of the fun flying with low cost carriers