Back To Thailand

hrican

I was in Thailand 40 years ago, I worked for a motion picture company...Now I am getting ready to retire.. My wife is Thai we are both professionals she is a former Acountant and Real Estate Agent.. I am a former Clinical Psychologist, Certified Computer Tech, University Professor and in later years a Karaoke, and Music DJ. My spouse has family in Chiang Mai, an older brother retired police Colonel and younger brother in Bangkok who is also in the Police and bodyguard detail for the Prince.

My question is my spouse has been an American Country Western Line Dance instructor for over 12 years, we both are champion Country Western Dancers. Is there any clubs or places where American Country Music is played (other than bars) and Line Dancing is on th venue.

We will be coming to retire in Chiang Mai at the end of the year, and hope there is some Line Dancing available. Also I am a Country Western and Latino Music DJ.

Any help would be appreciated. If nothing exists can it be started once we arrive. ??

There's a new western-themed bar/pub/restaurant, about 1 km North of the Super-Highway on the Mae-Jo road, they've got a stage but haven't seen any line-dancing there, Western tends to mean waitresses wear cowboy-hats & guns, but that's all IME.

Thanks for the feedback. This is a big change of scene for us coming from Las Vegas to Chiang Mai, howver my spouse wishes to go home, It's natural after 40 years. If there are any more suggestions please post. Thank you again....

Edited by hrican

If line-dancing, or the lack there of, is your biggest concern about relocating to Chiang Mai then you are either very lucky or in for a rude awakening. I wish you the best of luck because it sounds like you might be unaware of what you are getting yourself into. You are in good company, however.

Just take a nice smokey breath of air and relax into it.smile.png

• Like 1

Thank you Villiagefarange, however I am quite aware of Thai life I lived in ChiangMai before have Thai family there and speak Thai fluentlty enough to be able to sing in Thai. Line dancing is a Hobby I know I can go to Malaysia where it is prevelent but of course perhaps there may be enough interest in Chiang Mai for that venue, after all it is a way to exercise also. I started line dance classes in India and they are still at it. I am just testing the waters to be able to have another thing to do. Thanks again for your opinion, everything is welcomed.

Thank you Villiagefarange, however I am quite aware of Thai life I lived in ChiangMai before have Thai family there and speak Thai fluentlty enough to be able to sing in Thai. Line dancing is a Hobby I know I can go to Malaysia where it is prevelent but of course perhaps there may be enough interest in Chiang Mai for that venue, after all it is a way to exercise also. I started line dance classes in India and they are still at it. I am just testing the waters to be able to have another thing to do. Thanks again for your opinion, everything is welcomed.

I would love to see you do it here.

I can just imagine the lines of pot bellied Farang gyrating to country music in their locally made stetsons,cowboy boots and spurs for the more adventurous.

Perhaps in the parking areas of the various supermarkets that have aerobic classes,plenty of Thai's I would think would also like to give it try.

That said,I for one would just watch!

Good luck upon return to this lovely country.

You may find things have changed a bit in the last 40 years but you know best. Just a thought, but why not take this relocation as a chance to try new things rather than continue the old. Trying to transplant ones western life to Thailand doesn’t always work out so well. Retirement and relocation can be a wonderful time of exploration and discovery.

It is refreshing to hear all your valued opinions. As a Psychologist research has established that doing what you enjoy is of greater benefit. Than just doing things for the sake of living. Please let me clarify the returning. I mentioned that my wife is Thai

and that we have established relatives in Chiang Mai and Bangkok, whom we visit regularly therefore I have seen the changes over the years. We are originally from Hawaii and now Las Vegas. Coming back is to retire, but in my case not vegetate. We have been to Line dance venues, in malaysia, Singapore, Japan, and others. The music has changed from American Country to Latin, bop, and music from the host country. There is even a line dance called Sawadee, that is danced in Malaysia, why not Thailand. If you wish to see the dance look it up on YouTube under Thai line dance.

American country music as well as Hawaiian is my thing. However if I can interest others so be it. The Thai in the US are really good at it so as a group of Thai police officers that we were hosting and experienced it in Las Vegas asked how come we do not find it in Thailand. That is where my idea came from.. Again I appreciate any feedback pro or con and thank you for it.

As it gets closer for us to return, I will hope to gather enough information for an informed decision.

Aloha

I think that your title is a little misleading. You are not returning after 40 years if you have visited regularly. I think that is why some poster were warning about relocating without trying it at first.

Sorry, but your wife isn't Thai if she lived in the US for 40 years. She will have to re-learn how to live her just as you will.

To be honest, I don't think that I have ever heard any place play western country music here. I am certain that you will create a nice venue. You sound like the determined type. I think that you will be fine overall and will probably enjoy starting something.

You might want to talk with the man that runs Walen language schools. He has started lots of different things besides his language school and he might have some suggestions on how to start up your line dancing. It might just be then next big phenom in Thailand.

To be honest, I don't think that I have ever heard any place play western country music here.

You obviously have not looked then! Country and Western music is HUGE in Thailand. I have seen C&W bands perform all over Thailand. (I'm not a fan by any means but you can't miss it). There is a large venue on Mae Jo Road packed every night with Thais and there was a C&W band performing right near Pratu Chiang Mai about 2 weeks ago with a huge crowd. This was kind of "hillbilly" music which you often see in Isaan.

What music do they play at Palaad Tawanron Restaurant now?

Wife is not Thai because of living in US for 40 years? I would disagree with that assessment. And besides, it only takes about 3 years to become a "local" apparently.

(it's just too quiet on this forum)

MSPain

Edited by hml367

I just meant that a lot of the customs and ways of life are so different that living abroad for 40 years would leave someone at a distance. Just like many of the longterm expats here might have some trouble adjusting back to life in their native lands.

Elektrified, do you mean US western music or do you mean Thai country music? Yes Thai country is popular but I have not heard of any famous US country music performances here. At the place in MaeJo is it Thai music?

I just meant that a lot of the customs and ways of life are so different that living abroad for 40 years would leave someone at a distance. Just like many of the longterm expats here might have some trouble adjusting back to life in their native lands.

Elektrified, do you mean US western music or do you mean Thai country music? Yes Thai country is popular but I have not heard of any famous US country music performances here. At the place in MaeJo is it Thai music?

Yes, Thai C&W music is what I meant.

I am amazed at this forum so many great people and ideas. To answer that my wife is not Thai (do not tell her that) A former employee for Hawaii Attorney General, she used her language skills and culture to assist the unfortunate Thai who became noticed by the Court system. She has been a High School teacher for 12 years. ( she is also a Thai Classical Dancer) On the other side we have had sattelite dish to Thailand and she keeps up with all the soaps. We are both Buddhist and attend the local temple in Las Vegas regularly. Her brother and wife stayed with us for a year and has a green card (he is back in Chiang Mai now) we have Thai furniture, pictures of the King And Queen, and a Buddhist Alter. She is able to convrse with all her people and also attend functions that are usual western culture. She is my life, she mentioned that when I am no longer around that she wanted to go home. I decided that at my age it would be easier to relocate now so she would not have to do it alone. We have been married 40 years.

My point is, being exposed to different cultures in her case Western, Hawaiian, Country, just enriches the individual but you never forget home.

My case is simple, I am Hawaiian Puerto Rican I've been and lived in many Asian countries as wll as Latin American Countries, I have been a Thai Buddhist monk for 6 months, with all this I am still Hawaiian and I never forget. With all due respect if someone takes this wrong, but I am appreciative of all all of your comments. Thank you.

Aloha

I didn't mean to offend. I was just implying that life in Thailand and dealing with Thai people in Thailand is different than coming on holiday. Family aside there will be things that she might find annoying and will have to readjust.

You might actually not have as much problem because of your ethnic background. I have had a few friends that were from Central America and they were actually mistaken for Thais. So if your Thai ability is as good as you say, then you might not get treated as a foreigner.

I forget the quote but "You can never go home"

If you don't think that there will be any readjustment issues, you will either be in for a rude awakening or you both have achieved a level of enlightenment that would be hard to match.

• Like 1

Okay you are not exactly a Kanaka but labeling yourself Hawaiian Puerto Rican puts things in a different context for me. I agree with tolstoy that more often than not, Thai women who have adjusted well to the West have some difficulty readjusting to the constraints reimposed by Thai society. Not saying it can’t be done, just that it takes some work.

As for your Psychologist research I was not suggesting doing things just for the sake of living. I was talking about learning new things which helps to exercise the brain and stimulate new neuropathways. It can be healthy to take on new challenges from time to time. You seem to have an all encompassing resume so no doubt you will have no problems what so ever.

I just had a look at my calendar to check that it's not April 1st!!!

You and your wife have more connections than a Thai telegraph pole, and more qualifications than a Khao San Rd printer. Despite being in Las Vegas (it would have to be Las Vegas wouldn't it) for 40 years, you can settle seamlessly into Thai life with your fluent language skills, Buddhist faith and family ties (Thais?)...the only thing you crave is to do a bit of line dancing....

On the 10% off chance that beneath the JR Ewing stetson on your avatar you are for real, your wife should have no problem, given her line dancing coaching skills in forming a C&W line dancing club in Chiang Mai. I'm a big fan of American C&W, but can't stand line dancing. I'd love to prop up a bar somewhere and watch you perform, especially if you can get some nice Thai girls swirling around the floor!!

good Luck in your quest!!! You're post has me laughing out loud!!!

Thank you all, after living for 80 years, I have compiled a quite an extensive resume. I am still a University Professor, and have had other great jobs. The saying goes, been there done that does applies. My hobby as a DJ and Country Western Line Dancer is a hobby that seems to open many opportunities wherever I parked my Stetson. You'd be surprised what you can do in 80 years of life. Our webpages can attest to some of this, please feel free to check them for a further clarification on who we are now.

http://www.rican.biz.index.html

http://www.rican.biz/thida.html

http://www.rican.biz/country.html

on Youtube:

But as usual your comments are appreciated, each bring a new light on the subject pro or con.

Aloha nui loa

Hrican, those were some pretty limber moves you made there in the video, not bad for a man of 80 years. I have a feeling that you are going to make things happen here in the land of smiles.

By the way I had dinner last night at the Country Western Club or restaurant on Mae Jo Road and it was American country Western music the walk around band was playing. Yes the band walked around the tables playing like a mariachi band but they were playing American western music. Later another band performed on the stage and played a bit of a mixture of American music with a little Thai music in between. Food was OK, seen better but have seen much worse in other places. Yes, the menu has both English and Thai on it but the food is purely Thai. There may be room for line dancing in front of the stage if they move a couple of tables out of there.

I am pretty sure a lot of Thais especially the Thai girls could get into line-dancing and enjoy it.

Good luck and keep us posted and let us know if you get something going over here.

Edited by BarnicaleBob

Hrican, those were some pretty limber moves you made there in the video, not bad for a man of 80 years. I have a feeling that you are going to make things happen here in the land of smiles.

By the way I had dinner last night at the Country Western Club or restaurant on Mae Jo Road and it was American country Western music the walk around band was playing. Yes the band walked around the tables playing like a mariachi band but they were playing American western music. Later another band performed on the stage and played a bit of a mixture of American music with a little Thai music in between. Food was OK, seen better but have seen much worse in other places. Yes, the menu has both English and Thai on it but the food is purely Thai. There may be room for line dancing in front of the stage if they move a couple of tables out of there.

I am pretty sure a lot of Thais especially the Thai girls could get into line-dancing and enjoy it.

Good luck and keep us posted and let us know if you get something going over here.

Would highly appreciate some more specific directions. Would love to check this place out!

Thanks in advance,

-Mestizo

Would highly appreciate some more specific directions. Would love to check this place out!

Thanks in advance,

-Mestizo

As your going towards Mae-jo on the 1001 away from the superhighway, you will see a ford garage on your right, the western saloon is just past that, you will need to u-turn to get to it. If you get as far as the Mitsubishi garage on your left you have gone too far. The western saloon is the same chain and owner as the one that used to be in airport central on the 4th floor near the entrance to the food court.

In answer to JimmyTheMook, I cannot cook Puerto Rican food, my Mom never taught me, however if you check my wife's iinternet site you'll see she is a better cook than I. Besides Thai food, she can cook Korean, Filipino, Japanese and Hawaiian, so I leave the cooking up to her.

As far as being straight laced, at my age I had my times, I'm far too old to go around being unconventional. If you have a wife that's as protective of me as mine it does not even come to mind.

I do enjoy your comments, keep them coming I am not too old to learn.

Aloha Nui Loa